Beginners and Beyond

Monday Penguins Know That Doing What's Right Is It's Own Reward! (Read 177 times)

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

Scotty - you make me laugh and laugh.  I hope you give your shorts a proper send off!!  Glad they didn't give it up during your run!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Doc Liz, if this cut-and--paste works, the below is for you, since you said you could not access the original link.

Race Report and Photos: End Of the World 5K

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

Race #73 for me for the year 2012. End Of The World 5K held in Seguin, Texas, about a 35 minute drive from San Antonio.  Weather cooperated nicely, around 54 and sunny at the start. About 300 or so participants.  Dedicated this event to my Mom who, after being ill for a long while, passed away in Virginia in the early hours of the morning on the day of this race.  For me running is my therapy, so  went ahead and did the race and just tried to act like my normal self, not inflicting my loss on friends I had there, and put in the miles for her...and for me.  She is at peace now and her ashes will be interred with my WWII and Korean War veteran  father at Arlington National Cemetery as soon as we can get a date scheduled.    I ended up finishing with a gun time of 33:48 and chip time of 33:23.

LONG VERSION WITH PHOTOS

BEFORE THE RACE

Here I am pre-race, in the middle, with my friend Luke on my right and a friend of Luke's on my left.   Luke is 75 years old and just keeps on going and going.  When we are together at a race, I always jokingly introduce him by saying "This is Luke, he is my father." 

Another running buddy of mine, Ed, with friend.  Ed is a real inspiration for me...80 years old and still going strong!  I want to be like him when I grow up!

Luke, his friend, and another friend of ours, George

My running pals George and Bernadette.  Both of them are quite speedy - at 70 years old, George still can move his legs pretty quick! -  and always finish before I do.  Today was no exception, they both got AG awards.

Bill and Chris, two more running buddies.  Bill is recovering from a torn meniscus and Chris also has some issueds and both till finished quicker than me, lol.  He and Chris both got AG awards.

These young ladies asked to have a photo with me.  I think it's the shirt, not me. smiley-tongue-out

Others waiting for the start.  Thost that are wearing a shirt that read "I Survived..." those are the race shirt all the participants got

Our MC, who also ran the event

At the start line

ON THE COURSE

The course was in Max Starcke Park in Seguin, a pretty little park in Seguin.  Course was out and back and then a loop around a paved park trail to finish up.  Part of the course went by the river (Guadalupe River, I think), which was nice and scenic.  

Kind of funny...when I got these next two photos below, from the trees,  I climbed off the road and onto a small plot of grass in between the trees.  I took the shot and next thing I know  a golf ball thumped into the tree trunk nearest to my head.  I hadn't realized I had climbed onto part of the golf course that was adjacent to the road.  I looked around and 3 golfers were laughing and one said, quite politely I thought, "We're staying off your course, please stay off ours."   Oops! Sorry about that, golfers!  I apologized and got back on the road and was on my way again, it was all good.   Don't mess with those golfer, they are as crazy about their activity as we runners are about ours. And some of them have pretty darn good aim with those golf balls! smiley-tongue-out

Some of our great volunteers that were out there for us

AFTER THE RACE

Post-race goodies included some sausage wraps, as modeled by these two lovely lady finishers..

And beer, as modeled by me!  Yay for post-race beer!

This gentleman and Happy Finisher is a fellow cancer survivor.

Two more Happy Finishers. I forget the name of the guy but remember the name of this lovely Australian Cattle Dog:  Abbey.  Figures I'd remember her name, lol.

Happy finishers Bill, Bernadette, and Chris.  Chris's sweatshirt had on it the letters CMBP.  I had no idea what that meant but, as fast as she is, I jokingly told her I thought it meant "C Me Beat People." 

The Indomitable Ed displaying his AG award:  all the winners got a souvenir "End Of The World" glass.

Luke and his friend also got awards

My friend Mary, with her husband.  Mary is on a quest right now to do a race in every county in Texas.

More Happy Finishers and supporters

EPILOG

A very  fun event, lots of friendly folks, great volunteers, nice post-race goodies.  And we all survived, of course. emo-thumbup  Thanks to Buddy Albro and all his helpers for organizing this event for a good cause, supporting a youth running program in Seguin.   I suppose if they have this one next year, which would be nice, the name of the race will have to be changed, lol.

A close-up of the logo on the race shirt:

This was my last race for the year, as nothing else is scheduled for me locally until January.  So I finished off the year with 73 races done.  Wishing everyone a happy, healthy, and safe holiday season!  See you in next year's race reports!

Bonus Photo:  A photo that one of my friends took of me finishing. Not exactly "elite runner" style, lol, but I get where I want to go.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Bin Running

Mitch, well done on the intervals... 8 x 800 is nasty!

Scotty, no offend but your friend's camera took better pics.. haa... You managed to hold on to that short for 10 yrs?! 80 race per year.. 10 years.. that give me.. err... 800 races in that shorts... If everyone wear the short that way, I think Nike and Adidas is going to be in red soon.. Big grin

Come to think of it.. my wife is pestering me to get a new camera as the old one autofocus can't catch up with DS movement anymore.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

His Slowness

Good evening Penguins. Things have beenhectic around the Walker ranch getting ready for Christmas!  I did get my 3 miles in thismorning before anyone got up.  Off to the in-laws tomorrow for a couple of days. Wishing all of you a merry Christmas!  Thanks for all the encouragement.

Bill

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Glad you found that porta potty!

6.64 miles done with 7 x 800's at 8:00. i was targeting 8 repeats but the poo monster interrupted me, luckily there was a porta pot near a new house being built in our neighborhood.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to