Beginners and Beyond

Marathon shoes - gotta choose (Read 59 times)

onemile

Hansons suggest in their book that unless you are running under... I think it was something like 3 hours, you should just wear your normal trainers.

I wore Brooks Adrenalines for my first 3 marathons.  Those are the clunkiest shoes ever.

Zelanie

Hansons suggest in their book that unless you are running under... I think it was something like 3 hours, you should just wear your normal trainers.

I wore Brooks Adrenalines for my first 3 marathons.  Those are the clunkiest shoes ever.

I thought the "under 3" was for racing flats?

Docket_Rocket

I thought the "under 3" was for racing flats?

I think I have heard this before.  But to me, 6oz shoes are not racing flats as they have cushion (at least the ones I have).  Now others I have are for sure not good for marathons.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

My marathon shoes would not be recommended for my marathon time by those in the know, for the same reason that onemile stated (a shoe that light should be worn by sub-3:00 runners only).

They could also have very well been the reason my legs were as fatigued as they were, or maybe not.

But then again at some point you have to do what you want to do, and I really wanted to race in the DS 10's.

Looking back at things, I think my choice of shoe had little affect on my race negatively, and I do not regret doing so.

LRB

I wore the Nike Lunar Glide 3 for my first two. There is not much difference between them and the Adrenaline.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Inspire 9 for my first marathon.

Fastwitch 6 for my second.

Huge difference in shoe between the two - also huge difference in training, mileage and plan. (Higdon vs. custom VO2)

Of course the performance differences were huge also.

(we will see if I can do Boston justice - assuming I make it in Wink )

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

I need to choose my marathon shoes. I have no idea if it would be better to go heavier but more comfy, or lighter but harder on the body. Right now I have these shoes:

Asics GT-2000

Drop : 8.9 mm

Weight : 11.4 oz

Mileage : 350 km - 215 miles

These are very comfortable and cushiony. Drop feels very good too. I feel like I could go 26.2 in those. But, they are also my heaviest shoes.

Mizuno Wave Riders 16

Drop : 13.1 mm

Weight : 10.1 oz

Mileage : 175 km  - 110 miles

I used to love the Riders 16. This is my 4th pair. But sometime during my third pair I got to dislike the huge drop. I almost never wear them anymore. But I wore them last week, and they felt good. I need to make sure of that. If so, they are lighter than the GT-2000s and still pretty comfy.

Mizuno Wave Sayonara

Drop : 8.7 mm

Weight : 8.5 oz

Mileage : 410 km - 255 miles

I ran my two half marathons in Sayonaras. I thought they were pretty good for that. The problem is they (the ones I have) are a bit tight. As the run gets longer, and the feet swell a bit I'm afraid I might hate them. They're like 1/2 size too small.

Adidas Adizero Adios 2

Drop : 9mm

Weight : 7.7 oz

Mileage : 90 km - 56 miles

I run my MP runs on the track in those. They are light and I feel good running at MP in them. They are considered a long distance racing flat, and I bought them for the marathon. I'm afraid they lack some cushioning and I might hurt in them as the marathon goes on. They are also very stiff. They don't feel like a neutral running shoe. I read in a review that their torsion system, what makes them stiff, is effective in the later miles of the marathon when fatigue kicks in and form tends to break down.

Asics Gel Speedstar 5

Drop : 9 mm

Weight : 8.9 oz

Mileage : 690 km - 430 miles

I loved those shoes. They were a great balance of cushiony and fast feel. Problem is I can't find them anymore, and I'm afraid this pair is a little 'worn' for a marathon.

New Balance 1400 v2

Drop: 10.6 mm

Weight: 6.2 oz

Mileage : 0

These are still in the box. I doubt I'll choose them as I don't feel like they're enough shoe for a marathon (for me).

I need to choose soon, as I will need to run in the pair I choose while 'saving' them. Do you guys go cushiony or light weight?

I realized I never actually gave my input about your specific shoes.

I only have experience with the Rider given that I can not really give more more input.

Its a good shoe and will definitely hold up and be more comfortable than any racing flat.  However, given the wave plate design, it is not *the* most comfortable over time.

When I prepped for the MCM, I decided on the racing flat.

1. Even 1 ounce over 26 miles will feel like a brick.  I needed every advantage I could find.

2. Taper is amazing: I know if a racing flat was remotely a possibility there would be no other time to go for it.

3. Having put the racing flat through several 12-15 mile tempos when extremely fatigued with no residual issues, I became (towards the end of training) confident in my body and shoe combination.

Cyberic

Ran a long run in the Adidas Adizero Adios 2s today, and they felt very good. maybe what I read in reviews is true: they take a while to be broken in. Anyways, they are probably going to be my marathon shoes. I ran in the Speedstars last week, and they felt good too. But since the Adidas have less mileage on them and are lighter, I'll probably choose them.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Cool!

Pay close attention to any creeping soreness if you continue to run long in them.

Cyberic

I'll wear them also on Tuesday's workout (2x3 miles at mp - 10) and on Thursday's 12-13 with 10 at MP. Then I'll 'save them' by running only once a week in them if I decide to elect them.