Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Young Men's Leadership Academy Martin Luther King 5K (Read 6 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  Report and Photos: 

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.    

Link to photos only:   http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2017%20Race%20Reports/2017%20Race%204%20Martin%20Luther%20King%205K

A couple of the photos may be a tad blurry, sorry about that; I am definitely no professional photographer, lol, who claims to be skillful; but at least the photos are free.

BEFORE MY START

My 4th race of 2017, held on Jan 15, was the inaugural Martin Luther King 5K at, appropriately, Martin Luther King Park in San Antonio.  This event supports the Young Men’s Leadership Academy in San Antonio Independent School District (SAISD).  It also celebrates the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King.

Start time of 9 a.m.  The weather was very overcast and pretty humid, with rain threatening, and temps in the low 60s. We did get a bit of off-and-on drizzling stuff but it never poured, thank goodness, and the drizzle pretty much stopped right after the race start.  Even with the humidity, still pretty nice running weather with just a tad of a breeze that helped it feel a bit cooler.

I arrived with about an hour or so to go before race time.  I got my bib, timing chip, and race packet – which included a pretty darn nice long-sleeved shirt, and then got some pre-start photos.

I was very "orangey' for this event

photo 008_zpspbyyhjkx.jpg

photo 007_zpsp7phbkot.jpg

Me and pal, Bernadette.  She does even more races in a year than I do.  75 for me in 2016...89 for Bernadette.

photo 021_zpsaxnbj7iq.jpg

Timing, results, and course setup by iaapweb.com. Hmm, why is that one guy hiding behind my friend Minie (white hood in front)...maybe an ex looking for him? 

photo 003_zpsll0cuqcu.jpg

photo 004_zpsyslqb8ey.jpg

My friend, Jose, not only worked the event, he ran it too.  Speedily; he placed in his age group.

photo 018_zpsmvvv6jte.jpg

My friend, Arturo, with two friends.  I swear he works for that  "Men In Black" company....he's got the official sunglasses...and the look, lol.

photo 005_zpsmh58acjh.jpg

At this volunteer table, hosted by these two ladies, you could write a statement on these placards. The cards with the statements were then put out at various places along the course and around the start/finish locale.  I assume these placards will be used at the academy for some type of lesson, display, or something.

photo 012_zps9leyymij.jpg

Race day registration volunteers

photo 013_zps9vdtowxz.jpg

My speedy friend, Gene - who is in my age group - and wife, Loyce

photo 016_zpshwpgek2p.jpg

Random volunteers, participants, etc.

photo 001_zpsfktkmrhu.jpg

photo 002_zpsgc984gk3.jpg

photo 009_zpsrs5dpzid.jpg

photo 010_zpsseqwsjdg.jpg

These 3 are wearing the very nice long-sleeved tee participants and volunteers got...

photo 011_zpso6g9gdns.jpg

photo 014_zps1tpeleuk.jpg

photo 015_zpssfvpszox.jpg

photo 017_zpswhfdt098.jpg

photo 019_zpsrwfjaslj.jpg

photo 022_zpskmyidb9p.jpg

photo 024_zpsl4oemxd8.jpg

photo 026_zpsn32hjhl4.jpg

Getting ready to go...

photo 023_zpsq4vn2soo.jpg

photo 025_zps8pwvhpsu.jpg

ON THE COURSE

This was the first time I’ve done this event, but not the first time I’ve run in this park, so was very familiar with the 5K course.   Unlike the 5K I’d done the day before, this one had no hills at all.  Except for one small incline along the paved trails of the park, this one was flat, flat, flat.  A good PR course for those so inclined to try and set a 5K PR.  The route was out-and-back.

I ended up with a chip time of 33:18, which was good enough for 2nd in my age group (60 – 69), behind my speedy friend and fellow cancer survivor, Gene, who was first.  Gene jokingly told me he knew I was not that far behind him because as he headed to the finish he could hear people calling out  "Go Scottydog!"   lol.  Well, Gene, you're still speedy, I never did catch up to you.

Sweet.  Another medal for “my” cancer kids at San Antonio Children’s Hospital, which is where I donate any race medals I may get. It does not happen often because I am not that fast...so my strategy is just to outlive my competition. 

photo 027_zps0ucvjzon.jpg

photo 028_zpsninwq3t2.jpg

photo 029_zpslxiyf1wv.jpg

photo 031_zps7w1prmv5.jpg

photo 032_zpssjxe6af2.jpg

photo 033_zpsxw8qlznw.jpg

photo 034_zpszgczcwqf.jpg

photo 035_zpsph6j6fic.jpg

photo 037_zpstxz08ncl.jpg

photo 038_zpsiwcuiqls.jpg

photo 039_zpsfyta52fk.jpg

photo 040_zpstwtqfcgr.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

Got some water, drank that as I did a short cool-down walk, and then got some random photos of happy finishers, volunteers, family members, supporters, etc.

I was right behind this lady near the finish.  I called to her 'Yeah, I'm chasing you.." and she took off...beat me in by  a good 30 seconds, lol.    Way to finish strong, young lady!

photo 041_zpsi9jagbe7.jpg

photo 042_zps0vittbr7.jpg

photo 043_zps1rdpnxjd.jpg

photo 044_zpsec96cerr.jpg

Between two lovely ladies...dang, I look good!    Thanks, ladies, for making me look good!

photo 045_zps7upipssz.jpg

photo 046_zpshn5ovocm.jpg

photo 047_zps51alvpqn.jpg

photo 048_zpsu4mywxwg.jpg

photo 049_zpsm5sq2pjr.jpg

photo 050_zpsmzyn3c2l.jpg

photo 051_zpss1clfrnh.jpg

photo 053_zpsqvloo7ev.jpg

photo 054_zpspd4gwuua.jpg

Nice chat with these two, very nice people.  Dr. Brown (left) is the Principal of the school. In just the few minutes I talked with him, I liked him immediately, great guy.    To me, anyway....maybe not so much at those times to any of his students who might get sent to his office..

photo 057_zpspzsewmav.jpg

photo 058_zpse8u4wajk.jpg

photo 059_zpswcguxc4n.jpg

photo 060_zpsi17yssr6.jpg

photo 061_zpslxscooxh.jpg

photo 069_zpswelmwxzp.jpg

With the beautiful Lana H., of Street2Feet (a GREAT 5K, by the way, held in February - register now! ) - another lady helping an old man look good.

photo 063_zpsilvimmdb.jpg

Our MC doing the Awards Ceremony

photo 064_zpsd5emrjpx.jpg

photo 065_zpsemssfscq.jpg

photo 066_zps6j7ay5vm.jpg

photo 067_zpsb5qujsfp.jpg

photo 068_zpsmqhyrizi.jpg

EPILOGUE

For an inaugural race, this one was very well organized and well-done. Lots of friendly volunteers, very nice course, REALLY good race shirts, nice age group medals.  Post-race goodies consisted of basically water and some fruits and energy bars, and so forth.  Not as much as some races I’ve done, but I get it, this is a school organized event and schools these days are on a pretty darn tight budget.  As this one grows in the coming years – and I think it will, with more sponsors added, and a larger budget for it, I think this event has the potential to become an a really good annual event that will be one of the more popular 5Ks.  And, of course, maybe have a few more post-race goodies…maybe even a cold beer or two, I enjoy a cold beer after a race, lol…but I get it, probably kind of hard to sanction beer as a post-race goodie on a school campus…so Dr. Brown….you’ll just have to move the beer goodies over into the park area – with the correct permits, of course.  Talk to my pals at Alamo Beer about it.   Wink

It really is a good event for a good cause, the school, and also celebrates the tenets of Dr. King, who, in my personal opinion, is one of the men who literally helped drag our country – with a lot of kicking and screaming and tragedy, but also several shining moments too - into the modern day 20th century back in the 60s, helping open the door to begin civil rights and equality for all – which we should have had all along anyway, in my personal opinion.  Of course, I realize we still have a long way to go, but this was a start.

Will I do this one again?  Most definitely, because of the above, and also because of my parents, especially my late mother.  This one is personal for me.  I grew up in the Washington DC area and I was only 9 years old my mother took me to the “I Have A Dream” speech.  At that age, I really did not understand its significance but my mom told me when I got older, I would appreciate it.  She was so right, and I never forgot, and this was a personal bond she and I shared together, we did not even share it with the family, it was “our” moment.

My parents are both gone now, but I thank God for them.  They strongly believed in civil rights and equality and STRONGLY instilled in me not to judge a person by WHAT he/she is but by WHO he/she is; and they started teaching me this long before Dr. King made his comments about judging a person not by the color of his skin but the content of his character.  This stood me in really good stead as I traveled all around the world during my Air Force days, had many ‘adventures” and made MANY friends of all colors, races, religions, beliefs, etc, because my parents had taught me to be open-minded and respectful of ALL.  I also learned about what it was to be personally discriminated against on a few occasions, as I was the minority in many of these countries, and this taught me a lot too - and I learned so much about others, and so much about myself.   All because of the way my parents raised me.

Most definitely this event will be a regular on my race calendar, as often as possible, in tribute of Dr. King and to honor my parents, who supported him so fully.

MUCHO THANKS to all the people who made this one happen for us, volunteers, all the sponsors/vendors, law enforcement/park police, iaapweb.com for doing timing/results/course setup, and especially all the students and staff of The Young Men’s Leadership Academy who got the ball rolling on this one.  My hat is off to all of you.   Actually, I hate wearing hats – you can tell I am a TRANSPLANTED Texan, lol - so I will just salute all of you instead.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt