Beginners and Beyond

Faint FriDAILIES (Read 27 times)

delicate flower

I am in Virginia after a nearly 12 hour car ride. That drive was fucking awful. So much frigging traffic volume, construction, traffic jams, and rain. I am mentally tired. This race better be worth it. Going out for Turkish food for dinner.  YUMMEH.

<3

From the Internet.

I ran 12 this afternoon, got off to a great start by being chased and either scratched or bitten by the bored German Shepherd who lives a few houses down from me (I was all adrenaline and angry yells, I didn't see exactly how he got me). I was clear on the other side of the street from his house and I didn't see him or get a warning bark or anything until he was *right* behind me. NEAT. No skin broken or blood drawn, I just have a scratch and a lump on my left calf.

The rest of the run was great, though. Rainy with a cool breeze, and I looped around to my "favorite" hill from marathon training (the one that's like a mile long). 8:30 average and it didn't feel like a struggle.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Back in my IT days and pre-retirement (or semi-retirement) I usually had to get special permission to take a two week vacation. I managed that once when we went to Alaska. Most of the rest of our vacations we tried to include a holiday to save on vacation days. That often let us extend the actual days off to 10-11 including weekends and the holiday.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Runshortii

I totally don't get Disney at all. I know several adult couples who go there without children on vacations, frequently!  It's baffling to me. While I am looking at places like Israel for my next trip... people are very different I suppose

I know a few couples that went to Disney for their honeymoons. Not my style, but to each their own I guess

Runshortii

I ran 4 before work.

i accrue PTO, at the beginning of the year I think I had 170 hours of PTO. I work three days a week, 12 hour shifts and have a 6 day stretch off every 3 weeks so if we go on vacation I just try to plan it around that and then take an extra day or two off.

Half Crazy K 2.0

6 miles.

I get 21 vacation days & 2 free days. DH gets 6 weeks PTO. We did a 9 day trip to LA and Vegas 2 years ago. It was a little long for us, I think a lot of that was traveling with his friend. Dude's poop schedule is more rigid than runners. And he took for freaking ever to get moving in the morning (post poop). DH and I were ready go by 8am most mornings, we never left the hotel until 11.

Cyberic, how did the ultra go? Enjoy the vacation!

bluerun

Super B****

I prefer several short vacations to a single long one... because A. traveling solo gets really expensive when you're covering the hotel room on your own and it's easier to take the sting when it's broken up into smaller pieces, and B. burnout is a big problem for me and I need to GTFO as often as possible.  (I don't go anywhere unless it's to dive, apparently.  Unless you count the annual trip to Jerusalem or Tel Aviv.)

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

LRB

I ran 4 before work.

i accrue PTO, at the beginning of the year I think I had 170 hours of PTO. I work three days a week, 12 hour shifts and have a 6 day stretch off every 3 weeks so if we go on vacation I just try to plan it around that and then take an extra day or two off.

I get my time off in hours as well. I currently have 524 hours of vacation, sick and personal time combined. There are all sorts of rules on what can be used, when it can be used (or sold back) and for how much but it's a wonderful problem to have. Especially for someone who once owned his own business and didn't get dick. Something I am mindful when my boss has a bug up his ass and I get caught in his cross-hairs, which amazingly is all the damn time. Ironically though, I am super cool with his boss, so I don't sweat any of it. 

Runshortii

I get my time off in hours as well. I currently have 524 hours of vacation, sick and personal time combined. There are all sorts of rules on what can be used, when it can be used (or sold back) and for how much but it's a wonderful problem to have. Especially for someone who once owned his own business and didn't get dick. Something I am mindful when my boss has a bug up his ass and I get caught in his cross-hairs, which amazingly is all the damn time. Ironically though, I am super cool with his boss, so I don't sweat any of it. 

Nice! Can you just keep rolling it over? We can only roll over 200 hours, and we can't cash out 😡 So last year I just used a bunch in November and early December lol

Docket_Rocket

We get days when they explain our benefits, but really get hours.  You can only accumulate 30 days worth of annual leave before you enter use or lose.  I am constantly having to take time off to keep the use/lose at 0.  My boss says oh, leave it until the end of the year.  But the ones that do end up losing them because as attorneys we have to be in court unless we find cover and at the end of the year no one has time/wants to cover, so...

I have like 20 days of sick leave accumulated.  They are not payable, so when I am near retirement I might call in sick every day, ha.  For my first surgery in 2014, I emptied my sick leave and used half of my annual but now that they approve medical telework from home, I have not used sick leave much.  I only took three days off when my husband had brain surgery and only one for my knee surgery.  Proof that if you give people options for alternative work schedules/alternatives, they will work more hours.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

Nice! Can you just keep rolling it over? We can only roll over 200 hours, and we can't cash out 😡 So last year I just used a bunch in November and early December lol

Yes. 256 of those hours are in my bank and I never dip below it. You have to have a full bank in order to sell vacation days or to qualify for long or short term disability at a higher percentage of your salary. There are people there though who carry nothing over and I totally get it. As one said to me recently, if I die today that would be time off that I never got to use. But as I said to him, if I don't die and them bitches have to cut me a check, I'll be singing on the rain. lol

Half Crazy K 2.0

Mine is accrued as hours as well, just works out to 21 days/year. We max out at 1.5 times that. I also accrue 2 weeks total sick time per year, but not really since that is maxed out at 6 weeks and I've been at that for years. I feel sorta guilty doing it, but sometimes schedule doctor/dentist appointments for mid morning on Fridays and take the whole day.

From the Internet.

I get 10 sick days and 3 personal days. But I also only work 189 days out of the year, so that's not too terrible!

Cyberic

Cyberic, how did the ultra go? Enjoy the vacation!

Finally made it. We're settling in our apartment in Rome.

The 50K went well. It was way tougher on the legs than I thought, probably from the total time on my feet, and the last 5-6 miles or so going uphill. My previous running time length PR was 3:18 (Boston), and the 50k took me 4:27. I was running slowish, as advised by experimented folks to save my legs, but they were wasted anyways and struggled in the last 4 miles.

It's done. Glad I did it.