Beginners and Beyond

I just set a 10K PR on a training run (Read 254 times)

delicate flower

My plan for today's run was to run 8 miles and just to keep it under 8:00 pace overall.  A steady state run at a strong effort.  I parked at my gym so I could change there, then ran a mile on the paved bike path to the local 10K race route.  It's a nice route to run.  8 miles overall.  Some rolling hills...about 300' elevation gain total.  

I felt good right from the start.  Two miles into my run, I realized I was running faster than my 10K PR pace but certainly wasn't running at what I remember was that effort (I set the 47:48 PR a year ago and have only run one 10K since).  I decided at mile two that since the 10K was the only distance I did not PR in this year, I felt good so I was going to do that today.  I did not push too hard...a strong effort but certainly not 10K race effort.  Maybe an 8 out of 10 effort.  I have more miles to run this week and didn't want to ruin myself.  So, I just kept it under 7:40 pace.  I felt great.  I kept the pace just under PR pace and did not push much faster.  I did not want to burn myself out.  I just wanted to beat that 47:48 time.

Mile 1:  7:37

Mile 2:  7:29

Mile 3:  7:35

Mile 4:  7:40

Mile 5:  7:30

Mile 6:  7:41

MIle 6.2:  7:23 pace

Time:  47:09.  7:35 pace.  Unofficial PR by 39 seconds.  Pretty comfortable margin and with far less effort.   

I know I've been running well lately and this really shouldn't surprise me too much.  Still, it does.  It makes me wonder what my real 10K race pace would be right now.  I've been doing a steady dose of speedwork the last month and will continue with that through the winter.  I can't wait to see what I'll do in the spring races.  

Too bad this PR doesn't count!  Big grin  

<3

runmomto3boys

That's a great time, Phil, for a 10K and is only further proof that you have gotten crazy fast in the last few months!  Woot!

happylily

Hey, don't worry, for some people elsewhere, it counts. Big grin 

That is a great training PR, Phil, congratulations! You will kick ass in your next 10k race!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Jess runs for bacon

Lol, oops?

Congrats, that's awesome. I'd be interested to see how you do in a race as well.

Anomalous

Whoa! That's awesome, Phil! Congratulations!

Half Fanatic  #3091  ~   Marathon debut: 11/16/13 Anthem Richmond Marathon

"Run from what’s comfortable. Forget safety. Live where you fear to live. Destroy your reputation. Be notorious." - Rumi

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Nice job Smile

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

LRB

s

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

No pics?

delicate flower

Heh...thanks!  Smile

It's worth mentioning that I did not warm up, either.  This was the first 6.2 miles of my 8.17 mile run.  I also ran 10 miles yesterday.  

<3

Nevrgivup

I'm not surprised Phil. That's great! 

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

KaraInSavannah

Runs the streets

that's awesome! If you eat a donut as a reward, it counts. At least, that's how I do it. You will murder a 10k in the spring. Extra months of speedwork behind you? Fuhgettaboutit.

B-Plus

What a waste of a PR Joking Lol, jk. It must be all those 50 and 60+ mile weeks you strung together. You'll kill your next race.

I would say you could go sub 45 min in a race.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Mmmmm...beer

Great job!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

I for one am super impressed that you can do that on a run by yourself.  I have so much trouble pushing myself when I am alone.  I spend the entire run arguing with myself on whether I should just stop and walk.  Great Job!