Beginners and Beyond

LTH - Thanks for the Birthday Inspiration (Read 58 times)

An Open Letter to Brad,

I believe it may have been last year in which you ran a mile for every year of living for your birthday.  I always that was a very cool way to celebrate your birthday.

This past Wednesday I celebrated my 55th birthday and I had been considering a running related feat to celebrate my birthday for awhile.

The month of August was disappointing because I was enduring injuries and striving to recover from them.  I changed my approach for the fall to running as a long term preparation for 2014.

My long runs were generally at most 8 miles.  Within a week of my birthday, I knew what I wanted to do.  To see how far I could run on the Saturday after my mid-week birthday.  I shared my plans with 2 runner friends who work in another state and my DW.  The runner friends were supportive, and my DW's primary concern was just don't kill myself.  Big grin

I planned a 3.8 mile loop run around a local high school neighborhood and to see how many times that I could complete the route.  Afterwards, I would attend to some yard work and then watch the Auburn - Georgia college football game.

Well, I ran the loop 4x and during the 4th loop my body was strongly suggesting that's enough jump in mileage from previous long runs.  So I ran 15.2 miles.  To others, it represents a walk in the park.  For me, it affirmed a monumental progress from a wheezing 52 year old who could only run 40 seconds and had to take a walk break.

Because your birthday inspiration planted the seed for this achievement, I dreamed to try.

Thanks.

Rich

BTW, the second miracle of the day, was this improbable play by Auburn to beat Georgia.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Love the Half

My brother was visiting this weekend and we walked downstairs and were flipping around to see what was on.  We got to the Auburn/UGA game with about 1:30 left in the 4th and watched the rest.  HOLY SHIT! is my only reaction.  Just wow.

Congratulations on a wonderful way to celebrate your birthday.  It is remarkable when we look back and think about how far we have come.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Docket_Rocket

Congratulations and Happy Birthday!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page