Beginners and Beyond

RA Office Hours (Read 1083 times)

eric :)

Off the beaten path is a chat area, correct?

Off the Beaten Path is non-running related.  Think of it this way.  Questions in Running 101 should be answered sincerely because it should be a safe place for beginners, no matter how silly the question.  The other forums are less strict.  You can talk about anything in Off the Beaten Path, so long as you don't make personal attacks.  You can do whatever you want in the groups so long as it does not violate any federal laws.  Each group's owner and admins determine what is acceptable.  I don't interfere unless someone complains.

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

Ok, lets lock the threads.

Done.

toyger

Eric, no questions here, but just wanted to say thanks for the warm welcome. I happily subscribed. Cool

Jen

Eric, no questions here, but just wanted to say thanks for the warm welcome. I happily subscribed. Cool

Thanks Jen!  Every contribution is deeply appreciated because it is not required.  The website doesn't make much money, but I *love* working on it.

No questions from me yet, either, but I also just wanted to add my thanks!  We appreciate the warm, helpful welcome!  : )

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

eric, other users have objected to 'chat' threads being out there. We just want to fit in with the set-up here.

Just popped into this group for a moment, although I'm not an RW refugee.  As I needed to clarify in my own head the difference between the main forums and user groups, maybe I can clarify for some of you.  The main forums, Running 101, General Running, ... Off the Beaten Path, are best suited for topics/discussions that have a limited lifetime.  You post a question, it gets discussed for a few days, then fades away so that another can take its place.  "Should I switch to XX shoes?"  might be such a topic.  The Dream Car thread is also perfect.  Almost anything that is fairly ephemeral might be appropriate.

Threads such as dailies, OTOH, that could be expected to last for years, belong in the user groups.  If you're a member, they'll show up on your home page where you can easily find them, but they don't get in the way of anyone who is not interested.  This distinction is another of the nice things about RA.

Chairman

I've logged close to 8500 miles in my RA training log before finding out last week that there is also a forum here. Blush

So far I am digging the simple but very usable design. 

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

Thank you so much for providing this awesome site, log, and personal concierge service, Eric! You rock!

jmctav23

2/3rds training

Thanks for the sweet log/forum Eric.  

Just a quick Q about GPS.  I'm thinking about getting one soon and was wondering if I can upload workouts from Timex GPS watches here.  I've read a few reviews of them and they come/expect the user to use an "upgraded" but still free version of trainingpeaks on Timex's own website.  I've checked out training peaks and would prefer to stay with this log on RA for obvious reasons.  At any rate, I could always just let it log itself to Timex's site and then manually enter the run data here and have a back up.

xor

I thought I would re-address the question about uploading pictures.  As noted, we don't do that here.

HOWEVER, there is an easy peasy place to do it.  And then you can link your pictures here in RA.  In fact, linking pictures that are online somewhere is far far easier in RA than it is on RWOL.

For little one-off pics that I want to link here, I post them at http://tinypic.com.  How to use it is easy and obvious (always tell it to size pics to 'website' or 'message board'). It is free and doesn't require an account.  It'll take gif, jpeg, and png images. After it sucks in your pic, it'll spit out a variety of formatting options for webpages.  The one you want is the last field, the one that is a simple url.

Then, in a message here, punch the little button that looks like a tree and put that url in the appropriate box. Again, it has to be a gif, jpeg, or png url. 

Zim zala bim.

MrNamtor

pretty impressive that you wrote this from scratch. What are some of the tools you used to develop this site?

MrNamtor

Thank you so much for providing this awesome site, log, and personal concierge service, Eric! You rock!

+1

LRB

pretty impressive that you wrote this from scratch. What are some of the tools you used to develop this site?

Someone a RW made the mistake of answering this question and shortly thereafter, all spam broke out.

B-Plus

How about merging all the intro threads into the big one in Running 101? Although it's nice to introduce ourselves, I think we should do our parts not to clutter up this awesome place.