Beginners and Beyond

Cyber Monday Penguins love to shop online! (Read 340 times)

Dad on the run.

It's very, very manageable if you caught it early. Definitely get a foam roller, start stretching, add in some strength work if you aren't doing anything specific yet. Squats and deadlifts 2-3x a week have strengthened the muscles around my ITB to the point that it doesn't bother me at all anymore.

I'm weak enough that I can do my workouts at home with dumbbells, but if you don't have access to equipment or a gym I'm sure there are other strengthening exercises that you can do at home.

Sorry about the run on paragraph. I tried separating it but when I posted it just smashed it all together. I have a bowflex that I use twice a week. I do leg extension, leg curls, calf raises and squats plus various other exercises not related to my legs Smile

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

From the Internet.

Just weights for me today - my lower legs hurt this morning, but a good DOMS-type hurt, not a bad-pain hurt. Hooray new strengthening exercises! Took advantage of Cyber Monday and got gifts for both of my parents and DH, will finish off both my sisters' gifts tonight, still need to get a few things for DD but have to consult with DH first. (And I may or may not have picked up another pair of warm running tights and a super-cheap ice cream maker - whoops!)

From the Internet.

Sorry about the run on paragraph. I tried separating it but when I posted it just smashed it all together. I have a bowflex that I use twice a week. I do leg extension, leg curls, calf raises and squats plus various other exercises not related to my legs Smile

Ah you should be good then. Oh, and if you have a Nalgene water bottle you can use that in place of the foam roller for now - it hurts a bit more and is trickier to use but it's just as effective.

Singer who runs a smidge

Just lost/found my favorite ring!  I went swimming this afternoon, and I noticed just a few minutes ago that I was missing my lizard ring, so I had to scoot back over to the gym and get one of the employees to check in the locker I'd used.  Sure enough, it was hiding over in the corner.  Now I bought the ring off a street corner vendor for about $15, so it's not exactly valuable ... but I've had it for almost 20 years, so it's valuable!!  Approve

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Two miles for me today.  Then did some walking/shopping.  I'm going to be starting to build miles this week.  Hurry up new shoes!!  that is the only problem with Cyber Monday and buying online is having to wait for the items!!  I'm a terrible waiter Undecided

HopesMom, glad you found your ring!  I had a teeny tiny promise ring once that my fingers had grown out of so I was wearing it on my pinky.  Somewhere throughout the day I had lost it.  Had no idea when or where, but I ran outside thinking it had to have come off when I was washing the car.  It was night so it was pretty dark and there it was laying in the grass.  I couldn't believe that I found it being that it was dark AND so tiny.

Another time, I had thrown something across the yard and my engagement ring went with it!  I searched the grass, the street, everything and could not find it.  I was so upset!!!  About three days later I was driving home and when I turned the car into the driveway, the light caught the diamond just so in the grass.  I'm lucky no one else found it!

Docket_Rocket

Just lost/found my favorite ring!  I went swimming this afternoon, and I noticed just a few minutes ago that I was missing my lizard ring, so I had to scoot back over to the gym and get one of the employees to check in the locker I'd used.  Sure enough, it was hiding over in the corner.  Now I bought the ring off a street corner vendor for about $15, so it's not exactly valuable ... but I've had it for almost 20 years, so it's valuable!!  Approve

Glad you found it!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

Way too late in the thread for me to get personals, will you forgive me? I'm on second shift this week, so should get some good runs in this week. I got 7.1 today and 5 yesterday. Jimmy, sorry to hear about your knee, take some extra RD's.
                  Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Way too late in the thread for me to get personals, will you forgive me? I'm on second shift this week, so should get some good runs in this week. I got 7.1 today and 5 yesterday. Jimmy, sorry to hear about your knee, take some extra RD's.

Forgiven. 

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Singer who runs a smidge

HopesMom, glad you found your ring!  I had a teeny tiny promise ring once that my fingers had grown out of so I was wearing it on my pinky.  Somewhere throughout the day I had lost it.  Had no idea when or where, but I ran outside thinking it had to have come off when I was washing the car.  It was night so it was pretty dark and there it was laying in the grass.  I couldn't believe that I found it being that it was dark AND so tiny.

Another time, I had thrown something across the yard and my engagement ring went with it!  I searched the grass, the street, everything and could not find it.  I was so upset!!!  About three days later I was driving home and when I turned the car into the driveway, the light caught the diamond just so in the grass.  I'm lucky no one else found it!

Wow, cool stories!!

I was driving home one night and noticed that the center diamond was missing out of my engagement ring.  I couldn't find it on my clothes, in my car, anywhere.  When I got to work the next morning it was sitting under my office chair, winking at me.  Apparently I snapped it off when I put my backpack on!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Also, I am apparently the only resident guru left at RWOL.  It's weird, I'm answering questions about shoes and the police academy.  I feel sort of like a fraud -- I am neither a good runner, nor even a runner at this point!

Jen- hope your day at work was an easy one, mine was a ton of paperwork but I got it all done!

Steph- glad you are feeling better, enjoy your rest day/yoga!

Damaris- I have to work out in the morning! Otherwise I would be dreading the core work all day lol!! Have fun 

PS congrats on the promotion!

Philifan- Awesome score on the Kindle!! Almost bought my mother one, ended up going with a heated blanket, a must have in Upstate NY, good luck with the 4 miles!

T- Hope you 4 miles were great! And congrats about the football team success

Awood- You are hardcore to run an hour 3 days in a row! I envy you, but I want to be there soon!

Kristin- Enjoy your RD! And sign up for the 1/2 you were thinking about! As long as you have 3 months, most training plans are that long anyway

Jerry- hope you had a great Cyber Monday!! Did you do any online shopping?

Dtothe2nd- 7 miles is awesome! Good luck on your race this weekend.  I have a Reindeer Run 5K saturday for which I bought a headband with antlers!!!

Doc- hope work got better as the day went on!! You inspired me to sign up for my first 1/2 in April!! So I may be asking for some training tips!!!!!

Zelanie- Merry Christmas to you!! LOL! Good job on the 3 days in a row.  I eventually will have to get myself there, still trying to take it slow however!!!

JBlackJR- hope you feet feel better soon!  Enjoy the RD

Gator- Enjoy your RD

Jn- It would seem like a lot of us are taking RD today!! Must be the first day back to work after a holiday-or at least thats my excuse

Jack- that sounds like an awesome day! I hope you enjoyed every second of it! 

Hopesmom- I am glad most of us have made it over here!! Everyone here is so great and welcoming to me the noob!!! Have fun swimming!! It was snowing here this morning and I dont have a YMCA membership so no swimming until May for this girl! 

Brady- That is quite a goal!! Good luck with it!!!

Robert- Enjoy you RD

She Can- I wish I knew runners who are as slow as I am, I always feel like I am slowing people down when they run with me! But its nice that you were able to get out yesterday! Enjoy the day "bumming"

Lauren- have fun weight training!  Hopefully the legs will feel better later

Misty- Good job on the 2 miles this morning.

Hog- of course we will forgive you!! Like I said yesterday it is a lot harder to do personals with 4 pages of information! I keep copying and pasting to see the next page of people!! Sounds like you had 2 great runs tho!!

AFM- I had an incredibly busy but productive day at the hospital!! It took me all day but I have caught up on all of last weeks extra work since we had Thursday and Friday off.  I am wishing I had actually gone to the gym this morning but the rest was probably a good thing.  I am promising myself and all of you that I will get up and go tomorrow.  I have another 5k on Saturday, a Reindeer Run, I bought an antler headband!!!  And then we are heading out to Boston to celebrate my BDAY, its actually Wednesday but I couldnt get the whole week off!! After that I am starting a modified 1/2 marathon plan since my race is 5 months away but I want to start really base building now!!!

Have a great night everyone!!!

Completed my first half marathon 2:09:04!!!

Wow, cool stories!!

I was driving home one night and noticed that the center diamond was missing out of my engagement ring.  I couldn't find it on my clothes, in my car, anywhere.  When I got to work the next morning it was sitting under my office chair, winking at me.  Apparently I snapped it off when I put my backpack on!

This right here is why I will not wear my engagement ring to work anymore!! I wear my wedding band, but I am so afraid of losing my stone, its just not worth it!! It took forever for me to not feel naked without the ring on.  Now I realize I will leave the house with only the wedding band on and not even notice!!!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

No cyber shopping for me.  I do need another balaclava and headband from Runningwarehouse though.  And I need a cover for my new iPad mini from Amazon?.   Worked out at health club today and didn't run.  Don't mind since we did 7 miles yesterday and 26 for week. 

Ciao !!!

I did not shop either!! But it is because I spent too much on Black Friday lol!!!