Beginners and Beyond

Are you going to shop on Thanksgiving? (Read 90 times)

happylily

TXDiverMom, I love your enthusiasm for Christmas and I love that you say Merry Christmas to everyone. You, little rebel you. Wink

I don't like shopping and fighting crowds anymore (don't think I ever liked it, actually), but I love giving. I shop online most of the time, now, or I will shop at independent stores on the street. I try to avoid malls and chain stores. Because I'm spontaneous, when I feel I need something, I buy it, sale or no sale. If it's on sale and I don't really really need it, I won't even look at it.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Nope. I avoid shopping in real stores between Thanksgiving and Christmas as much as possible. I get all our gifts early and online since all dh and my family live in other states. We make sure it is all delivered well before Christmas. We will wrap stuff and put the decorations up the weekend after Thanksgiving. I love Christmas but find no need to encroach on all the other holidays with the decorating and won't listen to Christmas music until the day after Thanksgiving. . Even though the shopping will be done 99% by Thanksgiving all of it is/will be in the boxes in the closet and won't be wrapped until the tree is up.

Marjorie

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I will not be shopping on Thanksgiving. I doubt I'll be shopping on Black Friday either after dealing with customers all morning. I'll also be ready for an afternoon nap because I have to be at work at 6:00 am two hours before we open.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Heck, other than a race Thanksgiving morning, between eating and spending time with family I'll be napping.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

LRB

Heck, other than a race Thanksgiving morning, between eating and spending time with family I'll be napping.

Speaking of racing, there are 19 events listed on our main running website on Thanksgiving.  Two years ago, there were about 6!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

That's crazy.

Speaking of racing, there are 19 events listed on our main running website on Thanksgiving.  Two years ago, there were about 6!

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Absolutely not.  (And thank you from the bottom of my heart to those of you whom appreciate the plight of the retail worker during the holidays.) My idea of Hell is mall shopping any time between Black Friday and Christmas Eve.

I'll be running THE Turkey Trot (there are others, but Buffalo's is the original.  The oldest consecutively run footrace in North America, older than Hamilton's Around The Bay, older than the Boston Marathon.)  Then dinner with my parents and my brother's family.  It's the best day of the year that isn't Christmas... or the Boston Marathon.  Big grin

Hip Redux

I just looked up the Buffalo Turkey Trot - sounds a lot like the Manchester Road Race.  10K+ people and just-under-5-miles (Manchester isn't quite an 8K).     It's newer though... starting in the 1920s.  Tongue

I barely enjoy dealing with shopping 

This is me.

Dave

tracilynn

It appears to me that most runners are not shoppers.

I most certainly will at the very least shop online on Thanksgiving Day!  If there is something I can't live without I will go and buy it on Thanksgiving Day.  Y'all say family day?  By 4 in the afternoon all the men are napping anyway, so that's not exactly a family event.  I hate to nap and love to shop, so there!

I will most definitely be shopping on Black Friday!  I wll get up at whatever awful hour is required to stand in line with the best of them.  I will pour over the sale papers on Thanksgiving Day (and the online ones at bfads.com, ahead of time) to figure out what thing will be a great price.  I'm all about getting a deal on the things I want!!!  Why wait till January when it will cost more?

I love the hustle and bustle of the season!!!  I love decorating for Christmas and baking for Christmas!!!  I LOVE IT ALL!!!  I will be putting up the tree the weekend before Thanksgiving (we'll be gone for Thanksgiving and the weekend after).  I never take it down till January.  I listened to the Holly channel on XM this morning and heard Please Come Home for Christmas (the really old version by Charles Brown!).  It made me very happy happy happy on the way to work!!!

I will be Pinteresting for the next few weeks to figure out what I need from Hobby Lobby before it's all picked over!!!

Merry Christmas, Yall!!!  (And that includes everybody...even those who don't celebrate it!!!)

You're that lady from the Target commercial!!!

~~~~~~~

Traci

tracilynn

~~~~~~~

Traci

Nata2011

No way. Hate crowds, I also dont subscribe to crazy consumerist piece of Christmas. I do love the eating part though

Hip Redux

Heh!

TxDiverMom can decorate the party at Awood's house.  We're all invited, right?

Nope.  Combination of principle and I dislike crowds.  Especially crowds of greedy people ready to trample each other ...

My little brother worked retail at an establishment that was open on Thanksgiving. There was a very small handful who wanted to work Thanskgiving, but not nearly enough "volunteers" to staff the store.  It basically came down to "either you work that day, or you are terminated."  Sad