Beginners and Beyond

12/31 dailies! (Read 27 times)

delicate flower

I had a good day and I am beat.  We knew the ski hill would be busy so we got there early and in line before the lifts opened.  We then skied *all day*.  Got back to the house and I treadmilled 6 miles because it was on my schedule.

That is how a Saturday is supposed to be.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Ran 10 on the TM.  Stomach issues all through the run but made it.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

I found a marathon that I really want to do.  Unfortunately, the odds of me being able to manage a 5:30 on that course (at elevation plus elevation gain, toughest at the end) by this summer aren't great.  I see in the results that some folks have slower times, though- maybe they have an early start option?

I found a marathon that I really want to do.  Unfortunately, the odds of me being able to manage a 5:30 on that course (at elevation plus elevation gain, toughest at the end) by this summer aren't great.  I see in the results that some folks have slower times, though- maybe they have an early start option?

Looks like a nice hike. A marathon, IDK.

Dave

LRB

Looks like a nice hike. A marathon, IDK.

6 miles of uphill? Sheeit!

LRB

6 miles of uphill? Sheeit!

The marathon starts on the rim road at Watchman Peak, overlooking Wizard Island. While temperatures may reach the 90s later in the day, often the thermometer is only in the 30s for the early-morning start, when runners wear gloves, hats and fleece jackets that they peel off as the sun rises over the Cascades. Runners head clockwise around more than half of the rim road (which is 36 miles) before heading down below the outside of the mountain to the finish at Lost Creek campground. Along those 26.2 miles, the topography offers some challenges:

• The race starts with a bit of an uphill grade, that is followed by about a mile or more downhill, says Freirich. "It looks great," he says. "And if you're not looking straight ahead of you, you don't see the fact that, oh my God, you've got about a mile and a half uphill, big time. That gets your attention."

• From about Mile 9 to Mile 15, the uphill grade is constant. "It's brutal," Coffman says.

• At about Mile 18 or 19, says Coffman, the route leaves the rim road and heads down toward the finish -- which may be the toughest part of the whole race. Balding refers to it as the "O. Henry finish," in homage to the American writer famous for his surprise endings. At 22 miles, runners can see the finish line, but are then directed up a dirt road, where they run 2 miles up a steep grade, then turn around. Balding laughs, saying it "adds character" to the race, but not everybody is laughing at that point.

Zelanie

What scares me more than the hills is the elevation itself.  Although 22-25 is pretty much FTS land.  The 9-16 elevation change is similar to the McCollough Peak run that I do here, although not in the middle of a marathon.

Have any of you ever been to Crater Lake, though?  It really is spectacularly beautiful.

Runshortii

SRD. Work until 11:30.

LRB

What scares me more than the hills is the elevation itself.  Although 22-25 is pretty much FTS land.  The 9-16 elevation change is similar to the McCollough Peak run that I do here, although not in the middle of a marathon.

Have any of you ever been to Crater Lake, though?  It really is spectacularly beautiful.

The entire internet agrees with you, but even the half looks like a nut buster.

LRB

SRD. Work until 11:30.

A run at midnight?

Zelanie

The entire internet agrees with you, but even the half looks like a nut buster.

This is why it wouldn't be worth of for anything less than the full.

I ran a little run with the dogs to get over 100 for Dec., then realized my yearly total was at 1549.6, and went back out for 0.4. 

Docket_Rocket

Sounds like something I would sign up, unaware of the disaster.  LOL.

Happy New Year, guys!  Going to bed soon, ha.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

Sounds like something I would sign up, unaware of the disaster.  LOL.

Happy New Year, guys!  Going to bed soon, ha.

Thanks darling, I took a nap earlier so I'm wide awake.

GinnyinPA

Z - Crater Lake is gorgeous. I've hiked there on the PCT and driven the loop around the lake. Especially early in the morning or at evening it is awe inspiring.