Beginners and Beyond

Do Penguins Labor Day-ly? (Read 20 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Everyone is probably posting in the Labor Day Weekend Penguins thread, but I thought Labor Day should also have its own small Penguin Place.   So here you go.

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Hopefully all the Penguins are having a happy holiday and NOT laboring today.

I actually quit procrastinating on my weight training and got up this morning and went to the Y at 7 a.m. and did my weight training circuit.  It's been about a month and OMG, my muscles were really yelling at me by the time I was done.  I really have to be more disciplined about doing this regularly, like my running.   After my circuit, I then got on the Stair-Master for 10 minutes....cuz 10 minutes is all I could last!  Have not been on that thing in forever and forgot how it kicks my butt!  Like my weight training, going to have to build back up again.  Definitely a good workout though, overall.     And in looking at our local weather.....YAY.  All our temps for the week are predicted to be below 100 for the week - high of only 97 tomorrow - so I can go back to being an after-work runner.  At least for this week, anyway.  Down here, as fickle as Mother Nature it, it could be 55 for a high one day and then 101 the next day.  Sheesh.

Zelanie

Hmm, Scotty, now that you mention it, you haven't mentioned your weight training in a while, glad you got back to it!  And 10 minutes on the stair climber sounds like plenty to me!

I slept in today and then DH made challah bread french toast.  Nice!  I have 6 easy miles on the schedule at some point today, plus a little more back to school shopping for DD.  I might go in to work this afternoon, but I also might see what I can get done around here instead.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Scotty, Since you started a Labor Day thread, I thought I better contribute, so...Happy Labor Day  .

Brilliant

Good morning, Penguins!

Nice workout, Scotty.  But seriously- you run after work when the high for the day is 97?  Yikes.

Zel, have a nice 6 miler, and fun on your back-to-school shopping.

I ran 12.3 this morning.  It was hot and sunny for the last 3 miles.  It's my longest run in 6 months - trying to build up the long runs again.  Friends are pressuring me to run LA Marathon again in March.  This year it was a death march for me so I need to do something different.

Robert31320

Team TJ

4.2 miles for me early this morning.  Yardwork the rest of the day.

Running for TJ because he can't.

Docket_Rocket

Hi.  RD as we fly back home. Ran the Disneyland HM with hubby and we had fun. I will try to write an RR some time this week.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Docket: I didn't know you were running over here!

Brilliant: I saw your comment on the other thread and I will have to find about this Total Wine of which you speak.

We have family from Germany visiting so we are having a big BBQ this afternoon. Happy times.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Good morning, Penguins!

Nice workout, Scotty.  But seriously- you run after work when the high for the day is 97?  Yikes.

Zel, have a nice 6 miler, and fun on your back-to-school shopping.

I ran 12.3 this morning.  It was hot and sunny for the last 3 miles.  It's my longest run in 6 months - trying to build up the long runs again.  Friends are pressuring me to run LA Marathon again in March.  This year it was a death march for me so I need to do something different.

Well, I do use some caution.  If the heat index is over 100, then it will be a morning run. When I looked at the forecast this morning for my local weather, heat index was predicted to be 98 for tomorrow after work.  But now we have some kind of 'upper level' moving in, and the heat index predicted is now 104 for tomorrow after work.  So looks like another early-morning run for tomorrow.

From the Internet.

Whoops! No wonder why my legs are so tired and achy - they don't realize that Monday is the start of a new week! Check out my 7-day total:

6 this morning at club track practice with 3x(400/400/200), 1x(400/200/200), 200m jog between reps and 400 jog between sets. We were running in soup but I was pretty consistent - 1:50 for the first 400 and 1:47-1:48 for the rest of them, and 49-50s for all the 200s.

obiebyke

Ack! I don't know which thread to post in!

(Re)starting my mission of listening to my body. 2.2 miles run/walk done today. Beautiful weather.  And I even did a little PT afterward.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Docket_Rocket

Hi Pens.

Docket: I didn't know you were running over here!

Brilliant: I saw your comment on the other thread and I will have to find about this Total Wine of which you speak.

We have family from Germany visiting so we are having a big BBQ this afternoon. Happy times.

I think I mentioned it once or twice in the dailies, but you must have been traveling for yours, that's why!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page