Beginners and Beyond

Marathon training mind games... (Read 109 times)

happylily

So how did you do, Jack?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

So how did you do, Jack?

Hi Lily.  Actually, I just walked in the door from my 11 mile run. I'm feeling pretty good, pretty, pretty good. Tomorrow I have 4 recovery miles and Sunday is my last  20 miler. I can't say I am looking forward to it, but you know I am going to get out there and finish. Let's do this!!!!

happylily

Hi Lily.  Actually, I just walked in the door from my 11 mile run. I'm feeling pretty good, pretty, pretty good. Tomorrow I have 4 recovery miles and Sunday is my last  20 miler. I can't say I am looking forward to it, but you know I am going to get out there and finish. Let's do this!!!!

So glad to hear this! Stay focused until the end. It will be well worth it, you'll see. Go Jack! Smile

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

PADRunner

So glad to hear this! Stay focused until the end. It will be well worth it, you'll see. Go Jack! Smile

Second that!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Yeah, baby!! Thanks, you guys. I truly appreciate the support. Smile

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Jack, sorry for comming late to the thread, belive me in that you are an inspriation to me as I follow your training, I wish I could emulate your dedication and speed.  That being said, let this short story humble you.

My race was scheduled for yesterday (Philly) and I was on the Pfitz 18/55 for the first time, 17 months into my running career.  I remember telling my wife after the final 20 miler that I was so looking forward to this being over.  No more early morning runs, no more limping into the office in the morning with leg pain, no more obsessing the day before a hard workout, trying to psych myself up.  Training was going fine, I was just getting tired of the routine.

Then of course on the first run of taper, the 8 with 5x600 at 5k I tripped on the cd run 1/4 mile from my house (details in a different thread).  Turns out that I tore my right proximal hamstring from the bone, had emergency surgery this past Thur and am looking at not returning for 4-6 months.  I know my incident does not relate to you, but my feelings just prior do.  Tough this out, just plan on taking December off, or simply do 10-15 miles per week maintenance.  Then you can enjoy the holidays, your family and life in general.  I feel for you, but it too shall pass.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

fourouta5: Oh, man! That is just awful! Jeesh, I'm really sorry that had to happen. I missed your injury thread and this is the first I have heard of it. That will be tough for you but I hope you come back stronger.

Also, thanks for the kind words; I never knew I could be an inspiration to anyone. Smile I did my last 20 miler yesterday and I have 8 miles with the 5x600 tomorrow. You know right where I am.  It is great knowing there are people here who can relate to what I was going through. It only lasted a few days but I'm guessing it will reappear when the taper kicks in. Three more weeks. Let's do this!!!

MothAudio

fourouta5 - healing vibes sent. That's just terrible luck.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Jack, be ready for the worst: the last interval workout in the first week of taper, 3x1600m @ 5k pace. I hate, hate, hate that one. After that run, everything becomes really boring and you'll just want race day to be NOW! Hang in there. Your recent time trial and MP LR both show you are on track, feel very confident and believe in yourself. You will do fine, just one more 20 miler, no need to run that one fast. You just want to put time in your legs. It's what will carry you through the last 6 miles. 

Yeah... I have that one on Thursday... 2 min rest between, I am not looking forward to it.

JACK!

You got this buddy, all the way to the finish line!  Rest will be soon enough *after* you smash this thing.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Jack, with 3 weeks to go to my first marathon I was like "Ok - I'm ready. Let's just go run this." Unfortunately it was still weeks away. You'd definitely put the time in, and I'm anxious to hear how you do. Good luck and hopefully the days tick by for you!

- Andrew

Yeah... I have that one on Thursday... 2 min rest between, I am not looking forward to it.

Why? I know the length of rests b/w repeats is debatable, but generally Pfitz calls for jog of 50-90% of the repeat time. Why beat yourself up with shortened rest so soon before the race?  Frankly, I don't think the workout really has any impact on one's race at all, and Jack's inclination to back off a few tics is totally fine (get to the start line, just get to the start line).

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                        Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Let me correct that:

(3) x 2 miles at tempo w 2 min rest between.

(I would love 1600s in comparison)

And to answer your question - trust in my plan and my coach. (And this is for a goal HM)

I haven't been steered wrong yet, no reason for me to abandon them now.

Ok, so something else entirely. Got it. Carry on, and good luck.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                            Love the Half

3 x 2 miles @ tempo pace with 2 minute rests is a Daniels "Cruise Interval" workout.  Bear in mind that Daniels doesn't really say 3 x 2 miles with 2 minute rests.  He prescribes more like 3 x 10 minutes with 2 minute rests so the precise 2 minute rest is only for folks who are knocking down tempo runs at a 5:00 pace.  Given that I run mine around a 6:30 pace, I take about 2:30 rests.  Probably doesn't really matter.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

3 x 2 miles @ tempo pace with 2 minute rests is a Daniels "Cruise Interval" workout.  Bear in mind that Daniels doesn't really say 3 x 2 miles with 2 minute rests.  He prescribes more like 3 x 10 minutes with 2 minute rests so the precise 2 minute rest is only for folks who are knocking down tempo runs at a 5:00 pace.  Given that I run mine around a 6:30 pace, I take about 2:30 rests.  Probably doesn't really matter.

Yup, the workout proscribed for me is 3 x 10-15 min @ temp + 2 min rest.   I have 1/4 mile marks on a local trail and just over 12 minutes puts me at the 2 mi mark.  I do pretty well at sticking with the 2 min rest.

Its all good, seems to be working for me.