Beginners and Beyond

loyalty to RW (Read 277 times)

flarunner

[...] RW has gotten too big for their britches when they start thinking they know better than their readers what the readers want.

Haven't they always been this way? The magazine, I mean.

It's time consuming enough to keep up with one (as if I've been doing even that.) I'm glad I stopped through, I miss you guys

I'm glad you stopped by also.

dallison

registered pw

I liked the site except for it having issues 90% of the time. I won't really spend much time somewhere when the owner won't fix things.

Would you drive on a highway filled with potholes?

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Haven't they always been this way? The magazine, I mean.

No. They have their origins in what was a runner/racer oriented publication called Distance Running News that was based in Mountain View, CA. They later changed the name to be more inclusive, then began to grow in a big way. At some point they tried to be too many things to too broad a spectrum of runners. The money was in the growth with new runners and the various running booms so guess where the emphasis went. Eventually they or their successor was bought out by Rodale and the rest is history.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Mostly harmless

Would you drive on a highway filled with potholes?

I lived in West Virginia for a few years, so yeah.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

flarunner

No. They have their origins in what was a runner/racer oriented publication called Distance Running News that was based in Mountain View, CA. They later changed the name to be more inclusive, then began to grow in a big way. At some point they tried to be too many things to too broad a spectrum of runners. The money was in the growth with new runners and the various running booms so guess where the emphasis went. Eventually they or their successor was bought out by Rodale and the rest is history.

You're right, George. I should have been more specific with my time frame. I meant RW as a magazine under the Rodale banner and specifically the past 15 - 20 years.

Docket_Rocket

Oh, you'll feel right at home in Puerto Rico.  We even have names for specific potholes (yes, most of the time they become permanent).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

I lived in West Virginia for a few years as well, and those potholes do not compare to what you find in Metro Detroit. (LRB - give me an Amen!) Ironic for the city behind the birth of the automobile, and the home of the first stretch of paved road (Woodward Ave between 6 & 7 Mile in 1909; I don't believe they have resurfaced it since).

Dave

Mostly harmless

Oh, you'll feel right at home in Puerto Rico.  We even have names for specific potholes (yes, most of the time they become permanent).

My favorite pothole (we didn't think to name it) was on I-81 right as you cross the bridge from Maryland to West Virginia.  There was a big sign that read "Welcome to Wild, Wonderful, West Virginia!" and then ** BOOM! ** your call would fall into this giant cave of a pothole.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi