Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Alamo Beer 5K and 10K (Read 8 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  I took a lot of photos for this race (over 100) so if you would rather not read all my 'commentary' in my report below, here is a link to the slideshow of just the photos only:   http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2016%20Race%20Reports/2016%20Race%2041%20Alamo%20Beer%205K%20and%2010K

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more!

ABOUT THIS EVENT

This was my 41st race of 2016.   Alamo Beer events, done by "Scallywompus"  (www.scallywompus.com)   are a series of races in gradually increasing mileage, helping people to train for the upcoming San Antonio Rock n Roll Marathon and Half Marathon. These are very popular local events, put on by my friend and all-around great guy Bart Childers and his staff, and usually have a huge turn-out of participants.  Hosted by the great folks at Alamo Brewery near downtown San Antonio. And Alamo Beer for all those that want it afterwards.   Scallywompus also has a few  other great-and-popular local running events, such as Carnival of Venice 5K and the Women's Midsummer Nights Dream 5K, both night-time events.  If you are ever in San Antonio, do one of their events..you will have a blast!

Weather was quite cooperative for August in San Antonio for this one.  Around 78 degrees or so at the start times - although the humidity was about 94% but a lower dew-point - around 65 instead of our 'normal' 70-something at this time of day during summer) made it feel a bit more comfortable. An off-and-on mix of cloud cover and sunshine.

BEFORE THE START

10K start time of 8 a.m. and 5K start time of 8:25.  I got there just a little past 7 a.m.. so had plenty of time to wander around taking photos of some of the volunteers, participants, supporters, sponsors-and-vendors, etc.   There were a LOT of folks at this event!

Welcome to Alamo Brewery!

photo 026_zpse148elpr.jpg

photo 028_zpsuekwalku.jpg

The 'indomitable' Roy, one class-act of a guy and good friend....yeah, he 'got me' in the 2nd photo, lol.

photo 046_zpswlnscxwc.jpg

photo 047_zpsjoupaghq.jpg

Me with our Master of Ceremonies

photo 037_zps3el9awue.jpg

photo 038_zpsugpwmdc3.jpg

Master Bart of Scallywompus and our MC for the event

photo 034_zpscztk9bsd.jpg

Our Music Man

photo 035_zpsxbwrvn1r.jpg

Local high school cheerleaders there to cheer on all the participants

photo 036_zpsurg1fi8w.jpg

My running buds Bernadette and Karen.  We do a lot of the same races together; and had just done another race the day before this event.

photo 003_zps3y3mrov1.jpg

photo 029_zpsdesu4uke.jpg

photo 023_zpsmlisbhp0.jpg

photo 024_zps7gjani2m.jpg photo 001_zpsl68deu7g.jpg

One of my personal inspirational people, Ms. Michelle; here with a runner she is coaching.

photo 002_zpsp9wdu9ls.jpg

photo 022_zps778y7c0o.jpg

photo 004_zpsruea1jwr.jpg

photo 005_zpsqavppiu0.jpg

photo 006_zpshcvjnsvz.jpg

photo 007_zps4tsulxgo.jpg

photo 008_zps894zdpur.jpg

photo 009_zpskvarpev4.jpg

photo 010_zpso0e0gvuh.jpg

"Historic" Hays Street Bridge, which we 5K folks crossed once and the 10K folks crossed twice.

photo 011_zpsg0xmrjmi.jpg

These folks always inspire me when I see them at events I do

photo 014_zpseuwat4tf.jpg

photo 012_zps33civfml.jpg

photo 013_zpsf2c8zqjp.jpg

photo 015_zpsprtxarhp.jpg

photo 016_zpss7nubr3n.jpg

photo 017_zps0c1bravs.jpg

photo 019_zpso8fqwlmc.jpg

"Phoenix Project" folks.  PP is a local nonprofit group doing "good in the community' through various projects, etc.

photo 020_zpskriddg05.jpg

GO UTSA RUNNERS!  University of Texas at San Antonio is the university I work for.   Team name is Roadrunners.  "Runners" for short.

photo 021_zpsv46tkyny.jpg

photo 027_zpsr33iksgd.jpg

photo 031_zpsixnvjtnq.jpg

photo 032_zpsmaz4jq2v.jpg

photo 039_zps8r9rbs6p.jpg

photo 041_zpsc67aitfk.jpg

Besides beer post-race, there was also some wine concoctions waiting for the finishers..

photo 042_zpsytbxfedy.jpg

photo 043_zpsgtcdhu6e.jpg

photo 044_zpstk9gb7mj.jpg

photo 045_zps2ogyp0c3.jpg

10K start.  This was a lot of people.  I think more folks did the 10K than the 5K.

photo 048_zpsrr3f2qn9.jpg

A little less crowded with the 10K folks on the road and the 5K folks awaiting their start.

photo 049_zpsic590khl.jpg

photo 050_zpsgxlidkv1.jpg

My friend - and dental hygienist - Margaret with her niece (I think it's her niece) and her speedy little dog, Rocky, who is quite a talented runner himself in spite of those little legs of his.

photo 052_zpsizvkydfk.jpg

We still had a bit of a crowd with the 5K too, though...

photo 051_zpsy6oice35.jpg

photo 053_zpse0gawixt.jpg

photo 054_zpsuueivnej.jpg

photo 055_zpsluqf3fmy.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Before we 5K folks had even started, the leaders of the 10K had already come through, finishing up their first lap, jeez, and on their way to their 2nd loop.  Then we 5K folks hit the road.   The photos have a mix of the 5K and 10K folks in some places, as a lot of those speedy 10K folks were on their 2nd loop, lapping we 5K folks as they headed to the finish.

photo 056_zpsjbstjz2n.jpg

photo 057_zpsgbdjmzur.jpg

photo 058_zps2wkiudlj.jpg

photo 059_zpslphncvdx.jpg

photo 060_zpsagbkhlte.jpg

photo 061_zps5jdrklk5.jpg

I am now on Hays Street Bridge, looking down from the bridge at our start/finish area.

photo 062_zpsjgoiry1n.jpg

Topping the 'big hill" on the course...yeah, my darm watch couldn't beep for my walk break on the hill, of course not,  it made me run up the whole darn thing and didn't beep for my walk break till I got up the whole hill and back onto flat ground. 

photo 063_zpss6an2j6d.jpg

Heading for the turn-around point which was the 2-mile mark for we 5K folks.  Whatever 10K folks were in this group of photos were probably on their 2nd loop already and heading for the finish.

photo 064_zpswtndeogj.jpg

photo 065_zpsoxyibhyo.jpg

My speedy friend William heading for his 10K finish

photo 066_zps7woksxh0.jpg

Looking back the way I'd just come...

photo 067_zpsxv9w9enq.jpg

Looking ahead again..

photo 068_zpshfbn4vh5.jpg

photo 069_zpshmagu5dp.jpg

photo 070_zpszcld6vaf.jpg

Made the turn-round and back at the hill - this time a downhill for me - as I head to the 5K finish

photo 071_zpscpjvnnud.jpg

photo 072_zps2yr4tjwj.jpg

photo 073_zpsev6aclk3.jpg

Then it was nonstop back to the finish.  I ended up with a 35:01 chip time finish, which was good enough for 4th in my 60 - 64 age group.  And this race gave awards 4 places deep so I got one.  Nice.

AFTER THE FINISH

Happy finisher me, with my 'beer ready" socks, lol.

photo 075_zpslcmuttzb.jpg

photo 078_zpsxogubb4o.jpg

And I got my beer....

photo 079_zpsveruxrj2.jpg

Served up by these good folks, with an assist from my friend Tony.

photo 101_zpsg1fjlhz8.jpg

Some of the other "Happy Finishers" and volunteers, supporters, etc.  Everyone is wearing medals because everyone got a unique Alamo Beer finisher medal after crossing the line.

photo 080_zpsfyxhhi8t.jpg

photo 081_zpsfmzwn8xy.jpg

photo 082_zpspyj8xjgd.jpg

photo 083_zpsjordyawe.jpg

photo 084_zpsyjfsdkfv.jpg

My lovely friend, Tanya, 2nd woman overall in the 5K.

photo 085_zpsyn1qwj2y.jpg

photo 088_zpsc2o7jm3a.jpg

oops, trying to get the doggie in better and cut off this poor guy's head.. 

photo 086_zps9680vmcm.jpg

Yeah, I'm with this lady in the middle, I needed a short nap too after this one

photo 089_zpsounkfyr4.jpg

Ahh, there she is, now awake and all refreshed again...

photo 090_zpsj7j9urma.jpg

A photo by the 'unofficial photographer' of the offical photographers

photo 091_zpswqflbtms.jpg

They are ready to hand out the age group awards...

photo 092_zpszxear7x8.jpg

photo 093_zpsnv4vbqzp.jpg

Two cancer survivors

photo 094_zpsitcalfiv.jpg

My speedy friend John who did the 10K, passed me on the Hays Street Bridge on his 2nd lap...and then when I was coming down the big hill to get to the finish, he was already done and on the hill taking photos, sheesh!

photo 095_zpsrjxahvuy.jpg

Happy to be done - especially as we all did a race the day before that went 'long' due to a volunteer misdirection - Karen and Bernadette.

photo 096_zps74oit2oz.jpg

photo 097_zpsipmitadv.jpg

photo 098_zpscf22b340.jpg

My speedy friend Anthony and friend.  So speedy he even beat most people to the beer. 

photo 099_zpsghfrrz3p.jpg

photo 100_zpse6pymhuk.jpg

photo 102_zpsepplmjlb.jpg

photo 103_zpsne9eqqxk.jpg

My friend Liza, with her son and daughter.  They are ALL very speedy.  Liza was first overall woman for the 10K.

photo 104_zpsejatxr2n.jpg

photo 105_zpsal73xmjz.jpg

photo 106_zpstmifjmdw.jpg

photo 107_zpsytusgy5p.jpg

photo 108_zpswtnry7s5.jpg

photo 109_zpstuxxs4qh.jpg

photo 110_zpslfhsrxkn.jpg

photo 111_zpsrhypugbs.jpg

photo 112_zpsn7rlh7rn.jpg

My friend Bernadette placed in her age group...

photo 113_zpsnilwvuta.jpg

Whereupon, I proceeded to try and crack her up...

photo 114_zps2kbmgirw.jpg

She's starting to crack....

photo 115_zpsfdkhvkgy.jpg

Success!!!

photo 116_zpshtrwoppt.jpg

photo 117_zpscsssq3eb.jpg

photo 118_zpsvyebsnt5.jpg

photo 119_zps3pu7mlco.jpg

photo 120_zpsocjojjqu.jpg

EPILOGUE

Love the Scallywompus events and love the Alamo Beer.  My crazy race schedule allowing, I do as many of these as I can.  Nice tech tees, lots of post-race goodies - at this one there was beer and pizza; and wine; and food truck you could purchase food from; all kinds of vendors giving out free stuff;  a really unique course with some 'challenging" spots along the way; and, of course, lots of great people!  Definitely will continue to do these events.  MUCHO thanks to all the sponsors, vendors, law enforcement, and especially the volunteers, all the folks who did the work to make this one happen for we participants!

I think it is now time to nap in my chair for a while.  

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Congratulations on your weekend double.  I'm glad the weather cooperated. People don't look quite as hot as usual, though maybe that was the beer that helped cool everyone off.