Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Sights and Sounds of Christmas Jingle Bells 5K (Read 11 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

This was my 64t race of 2015. Held on Dec 5, 2015 in San Marcos TX, the Sights and Sounds of Christmas nonprofit agency helps a variety of nonprofits raise money for their causes and provides the community a local venue to celebrate the holiday season. Besides the 5K and 1K, Sights and Sounds has a variety of events that include music performances, rides, vendor food booths, etc. Usually held in the evening to enjoy a multitude of holiday lights. This year there were about 1,000 total entrants for the 5K/1K, so a very nice turnout. The weather was very cooperative with lots of sunshine on a December day, just about no wind, and a nice temp of around 51 degrees at start time. Of course, for we ‘cold-weather wimp’ South Texans, 51 is darn chilly for us, lol, so lots of people were dressed in layers.  I ended up with a finish time of 32:36, finishing 6th in my 60-64 age group.

BEFORE THE START

San Marcos is about a 40-mile drive from San Antonio, pretty much a straight shot right up the I35 North, and with a 9 a.m. start time I got to sleep in a bit. I left the house around 7:30 a.m., got to the race location about 8:15, got my race packet, and then went around taking some pre-start photos.

I parked near the San Marcos Veteran's Memorial.  In honor of my fellow vets and for my fellow team members of Team RWB (RED White & Blue) veterans organization, I got a few photos

photo 092_zpsjjipufcl.jpg

photo 093_zpsdbwjmsbk.jpg

photo 095_zpsari8kges.jpg

I arrived at the race site by walking over this bridge which gave me some nice views of the river on either side.  photo 091_zpsyf0vcnzd.jpg

photo 089_zpsesbnelk9.jpg

photo 090_zpswt8qne0y.jpg

The 'sentries" guarding the entrance

photo 015_zpsklwbx6cn.jpg

These kind volunteers let me stow my goodie bag under their table so I didn't have to walk all the way back to my vehicle.  Thanks, lovely ladies!

photo 001_zpsviikac8d.jpg

My pals from local race company AthleteGuild did the course setup, timing, results, etc

photo 013_zpsz9w4jgis.jpg

photo 070_zpsdhwahqnt.jpg

Some of the pre-start volunteers, participants, etc.

Welcome to Sights and Sounds 5K

photo 003_zpscbplwrbf.jpg

photo 046_zpsfdu0shks.jpg

photo 002_zpsztfecyhp.jpg

photo 004_zpszibykpx9.jpg

photo 005_zps0qdublzn.jpg

photo 006_zpsu9rthdpc.jpg

photo 007_zps302schov.jpg

Ooops...I didn't realize I was photo-bombing this young person when I stood next to Speedy Cash

photo 008_zpswrsuiimt.jpg

Do-over...

photo 009_zpst0zzs4ot.jpg

photo 010_zpspkaw8xzq.jpg

photo 011_zpse3q9de0x.jpg

photo 012_zpsopsqazln.jpg

photo 014_zpsawz36h9s.jpg

photo 016_zpsxosimbho.jpg

The gentleman on the left was our MC for the event

photo 017_zpslimmhmbx.jpg

As we all gathered in the start area, photos were being taken from this cherry-picker

photo 018_zpsf6vuxd5m.jpg

photo 020_zps5erwirml.jpg

photo 019_zpsrreq6oxk.jpg

Crowd behind me

photo 021_zpsajg2naxb.jpg

Crowd in front of me

photo 022_zpsfpamlk3d.jpg

People right behind me...until the start...then they were all ahead of me, lol...

photo 023_zpslywdkcau.jpg

"Fly-Over" by the Texas Commemorative Air Force, which restores, maintains, and flies vintage airplanes in honor of our aviation history.

photo 024_zpsnwtjlcal.jpg

ON THE COURSE

We started in front of the Sights & Sounds venue – San Marcos Plaza area, right near a very good city park with local trails that runs alongside the river – went through part of downtown San Marcos, passing by some Saturday market vendors in booths/tents, and then did a loop through a very nice residential area.    Then it was back to the Sights and Sounds area via one of the downtown streets and the last part of the course was pretty much downhill all the way to the finish line. One nice touch: along the route in the residential area there were loudspeakers attached to some poles so you heard holiday music as you ran along; very inventive.

And we are off!  About 1/4 mile in...I stopped on the hill we were going up to look back at all the people coming up behind me

photo 025_zpsx08xscs6.jpg

First walk break...almost to the 1-mile marker

photo 026_zpsn3mnem0i.jpg

photo 027_zpsvlak2a5r.jpg

photo 028_zpscjpglslf.jpg

photo 029_zpsbfuamzvq.jpg

photo 031_zpsynkeybhk.jpg

Thanks for being out here, volunteer!

photo 032_zpsa6povnmb.jpg

photo 033_zpshiat1q6r.jpg

Near the 2-mile mark now...

photo 034_zpssprcf8wa.jpg

Some of the residents cheering us on

photo 035_zpsoxmknobz.jpg

photo 036_zpscjrincrz.jpg

photo 037_zpsaoezbqa0.jpg

photo 039_zpsezx9cglm.jpg

photo 040_zpsbghmny3z.jpg

photo 041_zpsuojeepix.jpg

We passed by some nice homes in this area...

photo 030_zpsgyuyjnup.jpg

photo 038_zpswmrkzebl.jpg

AFTER THE FINISH

Free hot chocolate for all the participants and volunteers – I gave my ticket to a kid, as I’m one of the rare people not fond of hot chocolate; now if it had been a beer ticket…. – and Chik-Fil-A folks were handing out like crazy masses of free chicken breakfast biscuits – and that was one treat I took..mmmm good! There were also various sponsors giving away free stuff – pens, pins, bags, etc - along with information on their programs. There was also a raffle drawing for a multitude of prizes that included gift certificates for things like overnight stay at bed-and-breakfast, free haircuts for a year, merchandise at the local running specialty store, Rogue Running, and so forth, with the grand prize being a 42-inch TV. I didn’t win anything in the raffle, darn the luck, but that’s okay, I still managed to enjoy myself wandering around taking photos and interacting with all the people there.

photo 042_zpsez6fowol.jpg

photo 043_zpsznfnli7p.jpg

Cow and its "Wrangler".  The poor Wrangler at these events are always taking photos for everyone else..so I got a photo of the Wrangler this time, to give her some credit for being out there for us too.

photo 044_zps2efqcd63.jpg

photo 045_zpswjh7xsnc.jpg

photo 047_zpsei3zrz3s.jpg

Doggie was interested in all that food passing her by, lol

photo 048_zps9t7fssct.jpg

photo 049_zps51j8ul2h.jpg

Food included these....

photo 052_zpsyzq8r1nr.jpg

photo 053_zpsemegjliv.jpg

Provided by these good folks photo 050_zpssmmcvlog.jpg

photo 051_zps0lafvkmu.jpg

These folks are wearing the tech tee shirts that participants got

photo 054_zpsfwgapace.jpg

Enjoying the chicken breakfast biscuits

photo 055_zpsktnyu4kd.jpg

Hot chocolate modeled by this lovely lady

photo 056_zpscpdavbt4.jpg

photo 057_zps0etaddc9.jpg

The lady on the far right did this 5K and the San Antonio Marathon the next day

photo 058_zpsu9lu2f8o.jpg

photo 066_zpspadqiy6d.jpg

photo 068_zpsf38mq4zd.jpg

photo 069_zpsnvpfeezm.jpg

photo 071_zpsmgoiv2m7.jpg

photo 075_zpsfz8g5sfl.jpg

photo 076_zpsfykbblya.jpg

photo 077_zpsoo6mz66r.jpg

photo 078_zpsdu83h80y.jpg

photo 079_zpswypzlsu7.jpg

photo 080_zps7cm8qqqn.jpg

MCs and one of our law enforcement officers out there for us

photo 081_zpsvkmjsssk.jpg

photo 084_zpspidpwtht.jpg

photo 085_zpsti3aqmx6.jpg

Me and friend, Darrel Rhodes (beside me) of San Marcos Running Club,  with the lady who was first woman overall and the bike pacer.   All 3 are great people!  There was one small but steep hill on the course and I jokingly told Darrell he put that in just for me, didn't he?  He knows I am so fond of hills. 

photo 086_zpskxgnyqya.jpg

photo 087_zpsmlexnub0.jpg

Seated for the awards ceremony and the raffle.  It was done very nicely.  They'd announce awards for an age group, then do a drawing for a prize...made things go quite quickly, actually.

photo 088_zpsnqwf2oxx.jpg

This was the last little finisher for the 1K.  He had quite a gang of people bringing him in.

photo 082_zpsemcrdoqf.jpg

photo 083_zpslthli62k.jpg

Some of the festival's decorations

photo 059_zpsjekgcglr.jpg

photo 060_zps1pindkbq.jpg

Hay bales used as seating for performances...and the kids love to play on them.

photo 062_zps2rkrllmt.jpg

photo 063_zpsdijvwwib.jpg

photo 064_zpscmdii7zr.jpg

photo 065_zpskjrz3zfo.jpg

photo 067_zps4mhtfp9t.jpg

photo 072_zpsdnevsvsn.jpg

photo 073_zpsdze0jn0g.jpg

photo 074_zpsbu2rqp6k.jpg

Thanks, Santa, for the temporary use of your chair for my old bones.  HO HO HO!  MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

photo 061_zpsi9gbonvl.jpg

EPILOGUE

If you ever get a chance to do this one take it, you will not regret it.  Of course, the weather at this time of year can be ‘iffy’ at times in our area – a la Forest Gump, you just never know what you’re going to get. Last year, the temp for this one was in the 30s with a wind-chill in the 20s! I really hate very cold weather – I am one of those crazy people that much prefer running in hot weather than cold weather. So thank you, Mother Nature, for being nicer to me this year! Even if the weather does get chilly, it is still a really nice event to do, and the race organizers are very accommodating – last year they put outdoor heaters all over the site, so everyone could stay nice and toasty when not active.   Lots of prizes, lots of people in various outfits/costumes, a very nice 1K for the kids, just lots of stuff going on. Definitely worth doing!

Mucho thanks to all the race organizers, sponsors, volunteers, firefighters who were out there cheering us on, law enforcement, etc; all the people who made this one happen for we participants. Thank you, San Marcos residents, for your patience in letting we runners and walkers ‘invade’ your area streets for a few hours.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

I love the costumes people wear at your races.  Looks like so much fun.  Great day for a race and nice venue with wide empty streets to spread out on.