Beginners and Beyond

TuesDailies (Read 21 times)

Docket_Rocket

Glad you're able to stay on top of things.

I've mentioned that DH has been dealing with daily full body hives. After 6 months of Xolair injections, he's finally able to start lowering his daily Claritin/Singulair pills, from like 7 down to 4. Haven't seen his head covered in hives or his eyes and lips swollen in maybe 2 months now. It's a relief to hopefully have it under control.

Was he taking 7 a day???

Two Zyrtecs a day (one morning and one at night) have been great for me since earlier this year. I dropped them the other day but picked them back up last night.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

sdWhiskers

Was he taking 7 a day???

I think it was something like 2 zyrtecs morning, another 2 at night. 2 or so Claritin during the day, and then a Singulair at night. Every day. Took some trial and error, and many allergist appointments to even get to that. A fine line of hives vs too sedated to go to work. He started wearing a surgical cap at work (in addition to mask and glasses) because he was freaking out patients with his head covered in hives. Poor guy. We've been really thankful he hasn't had any breathing issues.

Docket_Rocket

Poor man! I've been scared of taking 2 Zyrtecs and didn't realize people can take more depending on their situation.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

I think it was something like 2 zyrtecs morning, another 2 at night. 2 or so Claritin during the day, and then a Singulair at night. Every day.

Dave

sdWhiskers

Poor man! I've been scared of taking 2 Zyrtecs and didn't realize people can take more depending on their situation.

So actually he takes 4 Xyzal not Zyrtec. Xyzal is the active component of Zyrtec. Sort of different formulation. For the other science nerds, Xyzal is the active enantiomer, while Zyrtec contains both Xyzal and the inactive enantiomer. Overall, xyzal provides same relief but is a little less sedating.

So actually he takes 4 Xyzal not Zyrtec. Xyzal is the active component of Zyrtec. Sort of different formulation. For the other science nerds, Xyzal is the active enantiomer, while Zyrtec contains both Xyzal and the inactive enantiomer. Overall, xyzal provides same relief but is a little less sedating.

Zyrtec makes a lot of people sleepy; I take one every night and (sadly!) it has never had that effect on me. Of course it might be a different thing if I took as much as your DH! A daily Zyrtec-Montelukast combo keeps my allergies mostly at bay. It’s made a world of difference since I started doing that several years ago.

Oh btw Damaris—the one benefit of seeing my doc was that while he was refilling all my prescriptions (Ventolin & Breo too), he also gave me one for a course of Prednisone. Just to have around the house, in case. Because he knows that I know when I need it. And when you do need it, you want it right away.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Yeah, Zyrtec has never made me feel sleepy either.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Yeah, Zyrtec has never made me feel sleepy either.

Benadryl, on the other hand—that’s the good stuff!

Dave

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Both of those are brand names. The generic is cetirizine or levocetirizine.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

GinnyinPA

sdWhiskers - did they every figure out what he is so badly allergic to?

sdWhiskers

sdWhiskers - did they every figure out what he is so badly allergic to?

Nope. I think in something like over half of the time, no cause is found.