Beginners and Beyond

2019 Race Number 24, April 27, 2019 - Fiesta Fandango 2.6 Mile Parade Run (Read 4 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.

Link to photos only:

https://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2019%2520Race%2520Reports/2019%2520Race%2520Number%252024%2520Fiesta%2520Fandango%2520Fun%2520Run?sort=2

Full report below.    

BEFORE MY START

My 24th race, and second of the April 27 – 29th weekend, was the Fiesta Fandango 2.6 miler.  This is more of a fun-run than anything else as only the top male and female finishers get awards. This is a very unique event, however, as it is an evening run and participants run the course of the Fiesta Flambeau parade, the largest night-time parade in the US.  This event was part of the Fiesta San Antonio, an annual 10-day celebration in April that has many ongoing events that help raise funds for local student scholarships and other nonprofits.  Because of the parade, lots of street closures; so run participants park “uptown” a bit and then take shuttle buses to the start .   Put on by the San Antonio Roadrunners, the largest running club in San Antonio, this event includes a costume contest before the start. The theme of this year’s event was “Reflections of Music Past”, so lots of the costume folks had music-oriented costumes.   Keep in mind for the evening of the run and parade, the weather was a 'cool' 84 degrees, so some of these folks must have been quite warm in these outfits.

photo IMG_2776_zpstyswwjt8.jpg

photo IMG_2777_zpsebmorv2o.jpg

photo IMG_2778_zpsqbvhr02r.jpg

photo IMG_2779_zpslxfsof0q.jpg

photo IMG_2780_zpslizqyhzq.jpg

photo IMG_2781_zpsmnulznwq.jpg

photo IMG_2788_zpsivnxzz6y.jpg

photo IMG_2782_zps3eowlulb.jpg

photo IMG_2783_zpssjqtk3uu.jpg

photo IMG_2784_zps61uwmyf1.jpg

"Ozzie:" peeing near The Alamo

photo IMG_2785_zps9fsexwjs.jpg

photo IMG_2786_zpswtt8f5ey.jpg

photo IMG_2790_zpscrjblx0a.jpg

photo IMG_2792_zpsstj6aytc.jpg

photo IMG_2791_zpsx8esc6z1.jpg

photo IMG_2793_zpsbqaqocmp.jpg

photo IMG_2794_zps7wxppuna.jpg

photo IMG_2795_zps7pbxpoqa.jpg

photo IMG_2796_zpsdjgpreby.jpg

photo IMG_2797_zpslu9r6wdj.jpg

photo IMG_2798_zps6vskkul1.jpg

Right near the heart of downtown San Antonio, the run starts at Grayson and Broadway.  The shuttle buses dropped participants off a bit down from the parade start and we then walked up to parade and run staging area.  From doing this event for several years, I know we typically don’t start until a little before 7 pm – with the parade starting behind us at 8 pm – so while everyone waited, I wandered around and got photos of some of the parade floats and parade folks and of some more of the run participants.

photo IMG_2799_zpsymcwrp4g.jpg

photo IMG_2800_zpsvfbyaqsn.jpg

photo IMG_2802_zpsydp9gbly.jpg

photo IMG_2804_zps2ag5f5bv.jpg

photo IMG_2805_zpsc4spisrm.jpg

photo IMG_2806_zpsntyhlrlp.jpg

photo IMG_2807_zps4r5h07yl.jpg

photo IMG_2808_zps3d6xpfrw.jpg

photo IMG_2809_zps4gualqh9.jpg

photo IMG_2810_zpsnj5j0mve.jpg

photo IMG_2811_zps17mhiyaz.jpg

photo IMG_2813_zpsjxxmcqix.jpg

photo IMG_2815_zpshppcm3xf.jpg

photo IMG_2816_zpsnujbdfvh.jpg

photo IMG_2817_zpsn1q9xkwa.jpg

photo IMG_2818_zps9iw1vz7o.jpg

Horses and carriages waiting for their start

photo IMG_2830_zpsczu7xyho.jpg

photo IMG_2831_zpsokz3m0qf.jpg

Run participants waiting for the start

photo IMG_2819_zpsqapnkqfm.jpg

The official photographer and the Race Director

photo IMG_2820_zpsvv5vigjo.jpg

photo IMG_2821_zpspcbskczs.jpg

photo IMG_2822_zpshoviyk5h.jpg

photo IMG_2823_zpsqreu58ld.jpg

photo IMG_2824_zpsaohkkkzs.jpg

photo IMG_2825_zpsptutmrer.jpg

photo IMG_2826_zpshoj6amom.jpg

photo IMG_2827_zps3z3il4je.jpg

photo IMG_2832_zpsoystwb9p.jpg

photo IMG_2828_zpsge8liznq.jpg

photo IMG_2829_zpswxugofmr.jpg

photo IMG_2833_zpso7strnrv.jpg

My friend here was quite popular with the spectator crowd, lol,  as he walked the route...his nurse about to inject him....

photo IMG_2835_zps80nv79qw.jpg

My friend here, hip replacement earlier this year and already doing amazing things.

photo IMG_2836_zpsqjmrx3gi.jpg

photo IMG_2837_zpsmuxmdapb.jpg

photo IMG_2838_zpszq9gxqba.jpg

photo IMG_2839_zpskxdfw1fb.jpg

photo IMG_2840_zpsmh9auzhk.jpg

photo IMG_2842_zpsrppllqdo.jpg

photo IMG_2843_zpsqjb45sya.jpg

photo IMG_2844_zpsvjkbaxot.jpg

photo IMG_2845_zpsuvwap3n5.jpg

photo IMG_2850_zpsaz6ub96w.jpg

photo IMG_2846_zpstyqsaxkr.jpg

photo IMG_2847_zpszzt2jxqk.jpg

photo IMG_2849_zpssl5xjdzl.jpg

photo IMG_2851_zps7boo8chg.jpg

photo IMG_2852_zpsfpybcbjh.jpg

photo IMG_2853_zpsa4sh9gcv.jpg

ON THE COURSE

A pretty simple route.  Down Broadway, one of the city’s main streets, then a turn that took us up to Alamo Street where we passed in  front of The Alamo. Right turn onto Commerce Street, the ‘main drag’ of downtown San Antnonio”, and all the way down Commerce to Santa Rosa, where we made a right turn and headed past Children’s Hospital of San Antonio to get to the finish.  Of course, because of the parade, while participants are running and walking, there are literally THOUSANDS of spectators waiting for the parade to start.  So we participants get quite a rush from all these folks cheering us on as we do this route.  They get quite interactive with us too, lol, throwing out confetti, cascarones (hollow eggshells with confetti inside), giving us high-and-low fives as we move along…it is just 2.6 miles of total fun.  Not only some of the participants were in costume, some of the spectators were dressed pretty crazy too, making it all the more fun.  I ended up finishing in 29:18, stopping along the route at various points to take a few photos.  

On Broadway

photo IMG_2854_zps2bgcdxnw.jpg

photo IMG_2855_zpsy96rvguz.jpg

photo IMG_2856_zpsr0ted0ac.jpg

photo IMG_2857_zpsd3tqsiff.jpg

photo IMG_2858_zpsvutecc6a.jpg

photo IMG_2859_zpswlnr4evw.jpg

On Alamo Street

photo IMG_2860_zpsikzrmftp.jpg

photo IMG_2862_zpsrxij8gup.jpg

Down Commerce Street

photo IMG_2863_zpsfhfcy1oc.jpg

photo IMG_2864_zpsorscwigo.jpg

My friend wanted a close-up, lol

photo IMG_2866_zpsb1obxvq0.jpg

photo IMG_2868_zpszw20fm0u.jpg

photo IMG_2869_zpsjl8nmy8g.jpg

On Santa Rosa Street after I finished...others coming into the finish area

photo IMG_2870_zpse5ikcxkq.jpg

photo IMG_2871_zpskdf7557b.jpg

photo IMG_2872_zps5mi0mgys.jpg

photo IMG_2873_zpstmtxtyb6.jpg

photo IMG_2874_zpsvdpeskns.jpg

photo IMG_2875_zpsn0siwogx.jpg

photo IMG_2876_zps6pgody8j.jpg

photo IMG_2877_zpsbjahmnfr.jpg

photo IMG_2878_zps2fdf4phj.jpg

photo IMG_2879_zps2nqllomv.jpg

photo IMG_2880_zpskbun5o2m.jpg

photo IMG_2881_zpswg1bkfzs.jpg

photo IMG_2884_zpsygq5eevm.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

My friend waiting for his wife to finish

photo IMG_2885_zpsaoapfrre.jpg

Getting a quick rest after finishing

photo IMG_2886_zpsvs73kznt.jpg

Nice post-race party that included cold beer, water, and various other drinks, as well as popcorn and some various fruits. DJ music playing and everyone just enjoying themselves.  Bob Ratliff, a long-time Roadrunner, was our MC, doing his usual great job as he has done for many years for Roadrunners events.  I wandered here-and-there, enjoying my beer and chatting with friends post-run, and also, of course, getting some more photos.

photo IMG_2887_zpsuixjinda.jpg

photo IMG_2890_zpszvnccdkd.jpg

photo IMG_2891_zpsn2zsef2p.jpg

photo IMG_2892_zpsrlgtengp.jpg

photo IMG_2894_zpsb0dcetjr.jpg

photo IMG_2895_zpsqw7r65ib.jpg

photo IMG_2897_zps53v4om7s.jpg

EPILOGUE

Probably the FUNNEST run of the year.  I have been doing this one since the mid-90s, shortly after I arrived in San Antonio and ended up staying here after I retired from the Air Force. This one is definitely a keeper.  Unique race atmosphere, lots of fun-loving participants, interaction with spectators, closeup look at lots of the floats before the parade starts, and more. This one is definitely a keeper EVERY year on the race calendar.

Mucho thanks to everyone out there who made this one happen for we participants: our race director and her many volunteers; all the sponsors and vendors; law enforcement and EMT folks out there for us, and anyone else I may not have mentioned here.  Thank you all so much for what you do so we participants could have this event.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

That does look like a lot of fun. I always look forward to your Fiesta races.