Beginners and Beyond

Week 19 Penguins love marine mammals! (Except when they try to eat us.) (04/26-05/02) (Read 8 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Can you believe we're almost into May?  Somehow I missed most of April, which is surprising, since I spent most of it at home.  Maybe because nothing memorable happened!

Anyway, today is Marine Mammal Rescue Day, which is a California coastline thing, recognizing people who try to save marine mammals, like beached dolphins.  I thought it was a cool holiday.

Did yoga today, and also biked in against quite a headwind.  Hoping the wind dies down a bit before I leave.  Other than that, I have a wonky chiller and now I have to figure out how to fix it remotely, or more likely, how to get a new one delivered and installed without actually seeing anyone, and while I'm working one half-day per week.  Joys.

Ok, off and running!  (So to speak ...)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

I can't believe it's May. Per my calculations, we should be in November, no? Ran 10 on the TM. more tonight. HopesMom, hope the wind dies before you leave home. It's been brutal here.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Well, the wind didn't die before I left, so I was biking uphill into the wind.  Downshift, baby!!  It's all good, and it was nice to get out for a ride.  I did see another human, as the chemistry building manager, who's onsite all the time checking labs and things, popped in for a visit.  We stayed six feet apart until he wanted to show me a pallet of donated supplies, at which point I popped on my cool cloth mask (with Day of the Dead skulls) and we went next door to see if there was anything I wanted to plunder.

I also have an issue with my water chiller, but a chat with the company says I can mostly just wait until we're all back onsite before scheduling maintenance.  Which is good.

And in the developing saga of the Missing Key Fob ...

DH had thought it was the spare fob to my car, and knew when he lost it.  The other day he grabbed the spare off the key rack to unlock his car, and was surprised when my car unlocked.  So, he had not lost the spare fob to my car at all, but the spare to HIS car  (in his defense, they're both silver Priuses.)  Which meant he had no idea when he had lost it.

This morning he happened to check the pocket of his padded flannel, which he hasn't been wearing since the weather has been above 50, and Lo, there was the fob!!

So now we feel slightly triumphant, and slightly let down.  What mystery will we ponder now?

Docket_Rocket

I made the mistake of running outside in the afternoon and the gusts wrecked my lungs. Too much pollen around. And the wind is only at 15mph with 25 mph gusts, 30mph gusts today, so nothing out of the ordinary. Still...

I have 10+ again today.

Hopesmom, yay on the fob!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

D - I find any wind over 10 mph affects my breathing when I'm running into it, and I don't have asthma. I hope your winds die down before your run.

HM - I'm glad your husband found the fob. We lost one once when travelling. We knew almost immediately that it was lost and looked everywhere. We finally found it about 5 months later in a place we had searched numerous times. I sometimes think keys like to mess with us.

Another gray day with rain in the forecast, like almost every day for the past month. I'm hoping to do 8 or so later.

Docket_Rocket

Oh, today will be all TM. It's all day today and probably tomorrow. Enjoy the 8.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Grey here too, but not rainy, so there's that.  DH has not formally accused the key fob gremlins, but I know he's thinking it.  I had a lovely zoom chat with chorus last night -- we're still trying to feel our way through rehearsals and connection time.  Right now we're doing each on a separate night, but that's making for a lot of time commitment and a somewhat less fun rehearsal.  So we might end up combining them and making a shorter section of each.  Still, my director and one of my quartet friends stuck around for more chatting even after everyone else left, so we must need the connection!  And this is after I spent about half an hour on the phone with my director yesterday afternoon, gabbing.

Still trying to figure out my home office too, mainly the seating situation.  The breakfast nook chairs are not working for me, even with a cushion.  The medicine ball I brought down turned out to be too low.  Now I've purloined DH's old office chair.  He had an office upstairs, which he used for a while and then for whatever reason moved out of.  He moved to a space downstairs, then filled it with stuff.  He moved to what was supposed to be my office upstairs, since I wasn't using it, but rarely uses that now except to play computer video games.  Now he's on what I call his "fourth office", which is his laptop and the couch.  So I'm trying out his old office chair, since my office chair is being used in my "second office", aka the music room.

So complicated!!

Might walk the dog later.  Might also take a shower, and do yoga.  There will almost certainly be banana bread baking, because ye gods, those bananas are about to dissolve and ooze themselves out the door.

Docket_Rocket

It rained all day here and was windy but not too bad (18mph with 25mph gusts). Did some miles in the morning on the TM and some outside tonight.

HopesMom, take his set up, lol. I have an office chair and a desk but I am required to have some sort of set up to work from home once a week.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

My husband bought a nice office chair and then gave it to me because it wasn't perfect. I liked it, but I'm not picky.

Singer who runs a smidge

Yeah, I pretty much hate DH's office chair too.  It just really doesn't support any part of my back -- hollows in weird places and bumps in weird places.  This thing is terribly uncomfortable, though DH has such a rounded back I'm not surprised it worked for him.  I'll keep adjusting -- maybe by the time this telework is over (supposedly another five weeks or so) I'll have it fixed!  Or maybe I'll go back to the yoga ball ... so far that's been the most comfortable, except too low for our kitchen table.

Had a guy applying for an instrument grant ask me to write a letter saying my instruments don't duplicate what he's asking for, and my services don't encompass what he's trying to do.  Except he didn't bother to tell me what he's asking for, or what he's trying to do.  Yeah, not writing that letter without more info.  Especially since he's on the med school side, and they have long history of screwing over my lab.

I slept way late this morning.  I'm getting a solid 8 hours, without the need to commute.  Too bad there's no way to duplicate that when I go back to work!

Docket_Rocket

Glad you got to sleep better!

Ran 10/5 today, which was my Friday off.

Damaris

Fundraising Page