Beginners and Beyond

A-political Penguin Thursday (Read 22 times)

Brilliant

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Brilliant

A safe place just for you, Jill!  

What's everyone got going on today?  I'm going to meet a friend for an easy 4 miles, but I want to run a bit longer (and faster) so I'll run a mile or two alone.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Hahaha =D  There was way too much talking about politics in my house when I was growing up so I just try to avoid it as much as possible.

I'm going to head down to the TM for 5.  These air quality alert days are really doing me in.  This weekend will be much cooler, so at least I can do my long run outside this weekend.

Allison - do you think you'll PR your half this month?

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

3.3 miles done along the San Antonio Riverwalk, with several of my fellow veterans at the weekly Team RWB run, walk, or crawl at VFW Post 76.  This warmer weather outing was much better than my Tuesday after work run/walk. I started later - at 6:30 pm, instead of 4:30 pm, and it actually felt quite pleasant out there.  The temp was 93 with a 'feels like' of 95, but the humidity was pretty low and the dewpoint was only in the upper 50s....sweeet.   Felt really strong and did all my running segments well.

After everyone got back it was party time as it was the birthday of two of our members, so there was beer, cake, chicken legs, sausages, music, and some dancing and games.  Fun stuff!   Love these RWB folks!    Fun evening at the VFW with great folks of Team RWB. I enjoy joking around with the ladies; it's harmless fun as they all know the love of my life is my wife and true love, Gail, my 'bride' of 30 years.

photo Scottydog VFW_zpsjjz5t2ob.jpg

photo ScottydogVFW3_zpshczwvk9j.jpg

photo Scottydog VFW2_zpsrnoy5an6.jpg

Tonite's plan is for a trail run after work in one of the local parks.  Unless I get motivated during the work day and maybe head over to the university gym for a lunch time run.  Then tonite it is football, as the UTSA Roadrunners start their season tonite in Arizona against the Arizona Wildcats.  I think someone in Conference USA hates UTSA, lol...the first 4 games of our schedule is:  Arizona State, Kansas State, Colorado State, and Oklahoma State, sheesh.  Our program is only 5 years old and we're already getting thrown to the wolves!    Also, the Cowboys are playing the Texans and all I have to say about that is....GO TEXANS!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Brilliant

Jill, hope you have a good TM run. How's the gastro issue going?  
            Yes, my plan is to PR.  But my June and July training were cr@p, so we'll see.

Scotty, fun times!

Zelanie

Hi guys!  Got home after 9 last night (gotta love this time of year for teachers), so my 10 miler will have to wait until after work tonight.

Luckily I was too busy yesterday to get myself into trouble in the politics thread. Smile

Brilliant- That sounds like a fun way to break up the run!

sapf- Hope the air clears for you soon!

Scotty- Sounds like a blast!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning.  I have Pilates and 7.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Good morning, Penguins!!  I have chorus rehearsal tonight, woo-hoo!  Looking forward to the long weekend, maybe I'll graduate from biking in the back yard to biking on the road, if I can figure out how to turn!

Brilliant -- thanks for the safe space!!  It's just nicer here in the igloo!!

sapf -- I am the political polar opposite to some of my family, so I just keep my mouth shut.  It's not like I would ever change their mind, or they would change mine ...

scotty -- great pic of you, what an awesome smile!!

Zelanie -- good luck getting in your 10 tonight!!

Docket -- have a good Pilates and 7!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

hog4life

I have not looked at the politic thread, I try to avoid that kind of stuff. I did 9 miles this morning at 8:46 pace. I've been trying to decide how to run my half on the 12th, I've had a good cycle and have only missed a few runs. I'd like to think I'm in PR shape, so I'll most likely go for it. Based on some of my LR paces and the mile paces I've logged on my tempo runs, I should be able to go sub 1:50.

Nice pics Scotty!!

PADRunner

Morning all. 6 done this morning and group tonight. Fartleks I believe.

Amazonian Princess

Um, my glutes hurt. I ran the trail full o'underpasses last night and did it faster than usual (yay!) but am more sore than usual (boo!). Trying to rig up some boxes so I can stand at my desk but it doesn't work so great with 2 monitors

Session with the trainer tonight with running intervals:

My trainer: "We're working on your cardio endurance! Can't you taste it?"

Me: "Does it taste like vomit?"

Fun times

I can. I will. I am. 

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Short, slow, walk, run is about all we will do today.

I also had too much politics in my house when I was a kid.  Possibly because my parents were in Germany in the 1930's.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

3 and then we ended up walking the last half mile.  At least we dried off a bit before we got home.  Beer/Nap time.