Beginners and Beyond

Buffalo Hump 5 Mile and 10 Mile Run/Race (Read 15 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.    

Link to photos only: http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2016%20Race%20Reports/2016%20Race%2072%20Buffalo%20Hump%205%20Miles

A couple of the photos came out a bit blurry, sorry about that, I am definitely no professional photographer, lol, but at least the photos are free.

BEFORE THE START

Held on Dec 17, the San Antonio Roadrunners Buffalo Hump 5 Miles was my 72nd race of 2016.  There was also a 10 mile race.  Race local was Comanche Park, which is appropriate since this event is named for the Comanche chief, Buffalo Hump.   The park is a very nice ‘greenway system’ San Antonio park that connects to 2 other parks in the system, so for a run, bike ride, or walk, one can go a long ways here.  Several people during the year do their long run training at this park. There were about 85 or so people doing the 5 miler, me included, and I’m not sure how many did the 10 miler.  Weather – as usual in Texas – was kind of crazy.  Pretty nice temps all week and then for race day, very humid, some off-and-on misty drizzle, and temp at 9 a.m. start time was around 63 degrees, with our temp projected to go up to 80 by late afternoon.  Well, at least for the race, Mother Nature held off the Arctic Front coming in; by the morning of Dec 18, our temp is predicted to plunge into the low 30s.  Crazy Texas weather.   I arrived at race locale around 8 a.m. or so, and wandered around taking some pre-start photos.

I was very "orangey" today...in support of the University of Texas San Antonio Roadrunners football team, who played their first Bowl game in program history, after the program was only 6 years old.  We lost to New Mexico by 3 points, bummer....but we played a heckuva game!

photo 006_zpsdzqjhnkn.jpg

Tom Lake, the 'official' photographer, and one of our extraordinary volunteers - whose name went right out of my old-man brain, lol.

photo 007_zpszcst3xqf.jpg

photo 004_zpsjeyir8pb.jpg

photo 001_zpsxscvsp6y.jpg

photo 002_zps5d0b168p.jpg

photo 003_zps5wp8fphj.jpg

photo 005_zpsb0af82ew.jpg

photo 008_zpsbkyq0asx.jpg

photo 009_zpsjbdkw6s6.jpg

photo 010_zpsca3mka5v.jpg

Darn it, a little blurry..sorry ladies...  trust me, when you see them clearly, the are beautiful....shoot, even blurry, they're beautiful.

photo 011_zpsu6lznjiq.jpg

photo 013_zpsoxmr7w8b.jpg

photo 014_zpsvjvg6cqv.jpg

I'm like the young lady in the middle...I think I needed a nap too..

photo 015_zpsk3jjenr3.jpg

OK, after a nice rest, she woke up..   

photo 092_zpsttdgbe57.jpg

photo 016_zpsmgg9lilu.jpg

photo 018_zps9kgssbvn.jpg

photo 019_zpsz2c3ikex.jpg

iaapweb.com, who did the timing, course set up, race results.  The young lady here also designed the race shirt.   Check out all her tech shirts at Hurache Turbo - yes, I am giving her a plug, lol; she really does make great shirts.

photo 020_zpsvrusmbrj.jpg

All the 10 milers and 5 milers started together.

photo 021_zpsvs5gqvmc.jpg

After we started, we passed by this guy holding the flag as we all went by.  Nice.

photo 022_zpsqvnkcpej.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Started near the main pavilion area of the park and then onto off-road paved running trails. We did a loop around a man-made park lake that took us through part of East Lions Park, and then back the way we had come out.  It was pretty gray, dreary day and, as said previously, very humid.  There was also some water on parts of the trail so it must’ve rained a bit Friday night or early Saturday morning.  Nothing impassable, no flooding or anything like that, but somewhat slippery, so you did have to watch your step at a few places. I ended up finishing in one hour and 22 seconds – a 12-minute and change per mile pace – and took several photos along the way during my walk breaks.  I think I might have finished maybe a tad under an hour, but I was ‘chasing’ some guy near the end – and kept chasing him, lol, we’d pretty much been leapfrogging each other the whole way – when one of the volunteers called out to me ‘Scotty, that guy is doing the 10-miler.  Turn here, turn here to finish the 5-miler!”  Thank you volunteer, who knows where I would’ve ended up, lol.  So I turned around, came back and then did the last part of the 5-mile finish.

My friend, Adrian (red shirt) and I pretty much ran/walked most of the course together.

photo 023_zpsvljnnynt.jpg

This little downhill, meant we had to come back UP it for the return to the finish.  There were two of these "uphill' spots on the course.  Race Directors can be cruel on an old man's legs. 

photo 024_zps1wn5r5vq.jpg

photo 025_zpsukd2eqvs.jpg

Three of my friends out there....even though they are Dallas Cowboys fans, I still love 'em. 

photo 026_zpswsv8ggvz.jpg

photo 028_zpsot9h9cxh.jpg

photo 029_zpsa7abatmx.jpg

This is the last time I saw my friend here on the course.  After this, she apparently found her 'mojo" and ran ahead...and I never saw her again until after I finished, lol.

photo 030_zpsqbv3nn5h.jpg

And there she goes...leaving this old dog way behind... 

photo 031_zpsea0nxtm7.jpg

photo 032_zpscify19df.jpg

photo 033_zpsdke8amnn.jpg

Bike pacer leading the 5 mile winner in..

photo 033_zpsdke8amnn.jpg

And here come some of those speedier 5 mile people...

photo 034_zpsfwdtuxqu.jpg

First lady..so fast she was a blur..

photo 035_zpshtfm5qo0.jpg

Heading around the lake...

photo 036_zpsg8k9c4yu.jpg

photo 037_zpske4v7qrs.jpg

Now on the other side of the lake...

photo 038_zpsntdbl0cc.jpg

Yeah, the lady with the dog beat me in too.  This guy with the camelbak was the one I was playing leapfrog with for most of my race. He was like the Energizer Bunny...he just kept going and going and going....

photo 039_zpsajplvgix.jpg

Spent a lot of time in proximity with these two also.

photo 040_zpssgmuuvxi.jpg

Thanks for the water and Gatorade, volunteers!

photo 041_zpsqb3vb3gc.jpg

photo 042_zpsiahyvfya.jpg

Slick bridge...I did manage to stay on it, lol.

photo 043_zpsazoe7ri5.jpg

photo 044_zpscje78gqr.jpg

The other downhill incline on the way out, uphill on the way back; not so steep, but this one was long.

photo 045_zpsaujvmrbk.jpg

You go, Little Man!  Chatted with them a bit, very nice people.  The kid did great!  He nicely commented to me that when he did his training runs and got tired, he always though of me and my running shirts to keep himself motivated, awww.    Glad I can help!

photo 046_zpsntbkfwab.jpg

photo 048_zps91hwpsfw.jpg

After that last photo, back to the finish nonstop - although, as mentioned up at the top, I almost followed a guy onto the 10-mile course, lol.  Those attentive volunteers saved me, thankfully.

AFTER MY FINISH

After getting water and doing a little cool-down walk-about, I took a few photos at the finish line of a few of the people I’d been running with off-and-on, having played ‘leapfrog’ with them too…I’d pass them…take my walk break, they’d pass me, I’d catch back up…..and so it went, lol.

photo 049_zpsnanuphhi.jpg

photo 050_zpskxnbbxnw.jpg

photo 051_zpsnsv2gj5c.jpg

photo 052_zpsbayz2vq7.jpg

I also got a photo finish of the first guy in the 10 mile race.

photo 053_zpsdxpz94jg.jpg

After that, off to get post-race goodies – some really good sausage wraps and also really good beer from local area brewery Ranger Creek Brewery – and munched and drank and wandered around taking photos of “happy finishers”, volunteers, supporters, etc.

photo 060_zps077uebob.jpg

photo 061_zpsvosc8qr4.jpg

photo 054_zpsedy2tfv2.jpg

photo 056_zpsqulmtoqy.jpg

photo 057_zpsfsjwxzxh.jpg

photo 058_zps7tewanfn.jpg

photo 059_zpsmvqr8s92.jpg

In best Al Pacino voice:  "Me with my little friend."     She walked the 5 miles and finished in something like 1:15 or 1:20....15-something minute miles.

photo 062_zps3xanf22z.jpg

Me with my mouth full of sausage, lol

photo 063_zpsiosqexhf.jpg

photo 064_zpsnqqpiwxf.jpg

There are angels among us...look at that halo over the lady on the far left.

photo 065_zpsqcsha7wv.jpg

photo 066_zpso4cr30e4.jpg

photo 067_zps5sm3gosk.jpg

photo 068_zpsgfxz6xpy.jpg

photo 069_zpsb4dlqct4.jpg

Two old dogs...me and friend, Bob...who is much speedier than me...and in my age group too.

photo 070_zpso7dpngqc.jpg

Me and friend Adrian, who kept me company on the course.

photo 077_zpsqeuxnhdm.jpg

photo 072_zpsqtfcx1x7.jpg

Guy on the left is wearing the race shirt

photo 073_zps1fxc8jrj.jpg

Our EMT guy who biked the course up and down while we were all out there

photo 074_zpsxuvuqqwt.jpg

photo 075_zpsdn9jpm8q.jpg

photo 076_zps2evoxugf.jpg

The "Old Guard" of our racing community, all these gentlemen, all great guys.

photo 079_zpsf427pnw0.jpg

photo 080_zpscqhq0641.jpg

photo 081_zps5gelofu6.jpg

photo 082_zpssjtk527o.jpg

photo 083_zpsry1zr6ru.jpg

Me and friend, George

photo 085_zpsawkfgtov.jpg

photo 084_zps2c3ozyhz.jpg

photo 087_zpsam1zudwa.jpg

Speedy Jerry on the far right, who is in my age group.  He did the 10-miler for this one...so thanks, Jerry, that allowed me to get an award in the 5-miler, lol.

photo 088_zps8bqea6p5.jpg

photo 089_zpsjbswg8lx.jpg

photo 091_zpsr8lsgf48.jpg

The race shirt, front and back

photo 093_zpsahobkcdr.jpg

photo 094_zpsv1ibugdb.jpg

The age group awards were these Buffalo/Indian Head Nickel medallions on a chain...front and back

photo 095_zpsak3jjgcr.jpg

photo 096_zpsoqcp7oiu.jpg

EPILOGUE

This is the 2nd year this event has been held, and so far I’m on a roll, I’ve done both of them. A really nice event that supports the San Antonio Roadrunners – the largest running club in San Antonio, of which my wife and I are members.  The club is a nonprofit and annually gives out scholarships to local students.  Very nice race venue, very nice course, really nice long-sleeved tech tee race shirt, and unique ‘buffalo head” medallion for all the age group winners.  I don’t know if I will do this race every single time it is put on – who knows what the future holds – but this one is definitely a keeper on my race calendar of the future.  Mucho thanks to all the volunteers, donors, sponsors, law enforcement, etc., all the people that made this one happen for we participants, with a special shout-out to Paul Baltutis and Debra Acosta, who do a lot of work on this event, and to my friend Ceci (iaapweb.com and hurache turbo) who designed the race shirt, and to the SARR official photographer, Tom Lake, who runs all over the course with that camera of his, taking great photos – much better than my amateur stuff, lol.  I think that guy gets in more miles than anyone at these events.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

I like the buffalo head nickels as awards for a buffalo hump race.  Did it feel odd running the extra two miles when you usually do 3.1?

I understand the intent of posting these pics, however I recognized a friend of mine in these pics and mentioned it to him.  While it's his fault that he let the picture be taken, not knowing where it'd end up, he was not impressed.  I hope that these people who let themselves be photographed, know that it's being put on the interwebz.