Beginners and Beyond

2019 Race Number 23: Margarita 5K, April 27, 2019 (Read 3 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.

Link to photos only:

https://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2019%2520Race%2520Reports/2019%2520Race%2520Number%252023%2520Margarita%25205K?sort=2

Full report below.    

BEFORE MY START

My 23d race of 2019 was the Maragita 5K on April 27th, put on by Andiamo Race Productions at Mission County Park in San Antonio, Texas.  There was also a 10K. Weather was pretty cooperative, sunny, low humidity, and temp in the low 60s.   10K started at 7 a.m. and the 5K started at 7:30 a.m.  A little over 300 participants for this one.

Welcome to the event

photo IMG_2739_zpseixjzaci.jpg

The park has a couple of large pavilions, like this one

photo IMG_2741_zpsy0bdhxms.jpg

Part of the river near the park

photo IMG_2772_zpsfs8wzhmx.jpg

With my speedy friend Woody who got 2nd in his age group

photo IMG_2737_zpsamxonhm2.jpg

Various

These ladies are wearing the race shirt

photo IMG_2738_zpsxbzuzgcy.jpg

photo IMG_2740_zpsuufqx3va.jpg

photo IMG_2746_zpsojz0nsaj.jpg

Two of the iaap crew for timing, results, etc

photo IMG_2742_zpspfl4z7ay.jpg

They call themselves the Village Idiots.  Except for the dog...she's the smart one... 

photo IMG_2743_zpsrn919jcd.jpg

photo IMG_2745_zpsvi6uypae.jpg

photo IMG_2747_zpshfvjjptm.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Mission County Park is adjacent to the Mission Reach part of the San Antonio Riverwalk.  No business, tourist shops, etc. down on this part of the Riverwalk.  Instead you get some nice views of the river as go along the route.  There were a few hills on the course, and the last hill was a climb up to the finish area.  I was feeling fairly good, stupid heart problems and all, and finished with  chip time of 32:51, good enough for 3rd in my 60  - 69 age group.

photo IMG_2748_zpsebhrkpvw.jpg

photo IMG_2749_zpsygnbpkf1.jpg

photo IMG_2750_zpscgtolmwo.jpg

photo IMG_2751_zps992zoy0r.jpg

photo IMG_2752_zpspum7fwot.jpg

photo IMG_2753_zpskjb40ncr.jpg

photo IMG_2754_zpshpou5pcj.jpg

photo IMG_2755_zpscrdtnepr.jpg

photo IMG_2756_zpssqpb02ez.jpg

photo IMG_2757_zpsvoqwmjqt.jpg

photo IMG_2758_zpsjfrd8bzj.jpg

photo IMG_2759_zpsqiy1h2cl.jpg

photo IMG_2760_zpsffidlbm0.jpg

photo IMG_2761_zpsoas3ala5.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

As the race name says, Margarita Run and maragaritas were served up post-race, as well as a variety of fruits, Gatorade, water, and other various goodies. No beer, unfortunately, and I can’t drink liquor, so I stuck to water and Gatorade and wandered around getting some after-photos.

photo IMG_2762_zps2th8erep.jpg

photo IMG_2765_zpspxkp6fvo.jpg

photo IMG_2766_zpsn9wxgoxl.jpg

photo IMG_2768_zps6zue9he6.jpg

photo IMG_2769_zpsg7wok8cr.jpg

photo IMG_2770_zps1qp0hqeg.jpg

photo IMG_2771_zpskc2ed5zu.jpg

photo IMG_2773_zpsitfbxzyq.jpg

photo IMG_2774_zpslzrhoc1b.jpg

EPILOGUE

Nicely done event on a scenic-and-challenging course with some nice views. Nice quality tech tee race shirt, live music post-race, and finisher medals for everyone.  Only the first-place males and females in each age group got a placer medal.

Mucho thanks to everyone out there who made this one happen for we participants: our race director and her many volunteers; all the sponsors and vendors; law enforcement and EMT folks out there for us, and anyone else I may not have mentioned here.  Thank you all so much for what you do so we participants could have this event.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt