Beginners and Beyond

Do you have a Facebook addiction? (Read 139 times)

Docket_Rocket

I have not dabble in the acquaintances or family groups.  I am just conscious that whatever I put out there in FB is visible to all my friends.  I do check my privacy settings at least once a month to make sure they are Only Friends instead of Public.  The settings keep changing themselves.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

sheepla

I don't have a Facebook account and sometimes feel like the last hold out. The one frustration for me is many smaller races have started only posting info about their events on Facebook.  I hope race directors will remember not everyone wants to be on Facebook.

happylily

I don't have a Facebook account and sometimes feel like the last hold out. The one frustration for me is many smaller races have started only posting info about their events on Facebook.  I hope race directors will remember not everyone wants to be on Facebook.

+100!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

RD's are certainly aware of that, but they are also making decisions as to how to balance ease of organizing with acccessibility of participants. It is probably a lot easier to set up & maintain a FB page than a website. And they can reach a plenty large enough audience that way. You may decide you don't want to use the internet at all, but you are going to miss out on some races that only accept online registration.

You can always sign up for FB and not friend anyone, just like the pages for races (and anything else) you are interested in hearing more about.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

RD's are certainly aware of that, but they are also making decisions as to how to balance ease of organizing with acccessibility of participants. It is probably a lot easier to set up & maintain a FB page than a website. And they can reach a plenty large enough audience that way. You may decide you don't want to use the internet at all, but you are going to miss out on some races that only accept online registration.

You can always sign up for FB and not friend anyone, just like the pages for races (and anything else) you are interested in hearing more about.

Plus no organization takes care of 100% of their clients, only on the majority and the majority is in social media.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Antipodean

That's what I do. I have about 30 friend requests I just ignore (gets easy after a while Joking) and use Facebook on my terms. That's often to do with races and accessing results etc. I am also very judicious about what I 'like' because that often just brings spam your way.

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary