Beginners and Beyond

Sundailies --- 9/11 (Read 46 times)

Might not be your dream race, but it's a hell of a workout.

I change my dailies report: 16 w/13 tempo.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Sorry I was MIA, we had no power for a few hours.  12 with the last 6 @ MP + 10% done.  I'm just going to go to this marathon and say meh as I cross the start.

Lauren, excellent 22!  Good luck on the race!

Brilliant, nice job!

Dave, you are in the middle of training and tired, so don't put too much emphasis on the time.  Close to your PR while training in those high miles is a good sign.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Three weeks from a marathon you are at maximum tiredness.  Maybe not what you wanted but only a minute or two off goal isn't that bad.  You can definitely do better when you're not exhausted.  You said yourself you ran 60 miles this week.  Nobody's going to run their best HM on that kind of fatigue.    Of course I'd be pissed too, but you really were not set up for a PR HM here.

BUT I TAPERED FOR TWO DAYS!

Dave

Cyberic

I change my dailies report: 16 w/13 tempo.

Smile

No more marathons

What's your history of HM performance when raced during a marathon cycle vs. between cycles? MRT fatigue is my only excuse.

Many decades ago, before I knew much about proper training (although I had a couple of now fairly competent coaches working with me) but thought I knew all about this running stuff - I raced a HM the week before my first marathon.

To this day, those are my PR's.  So, not recommending that approach, but a half shortly into taper could produce very favorable results.

YMMV

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

bluerun

Super B****

BUT I TAPERED FOR TWO DAYS!

See what happens when you taper?!?!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

a half shortly into taper 

Ha, I have 70 miles on the schedule this week. 

Dave

See what happens when you taper?!?!

IK,R? George would tell us that back in the old days, they used to run a marathon the day before a half.

Dave

Cyberic

I don't race much by choice, I have said that before, but even if I liked racing often, I couldn't race almost back to back half and full marathon unless I eased up on one of the two. I am really drained after a distance race. Physically and mentally both. I really wonder how you all do it.

If I liked to race often, they'd be 5Ks and 10Ks. Those are very hard on the cardio but don't seem to drain all my backup batteries in the process like longer distances do.

bluerun

Super B****

I ran (ran, not raced) a HM THREE WEEKS after my first marathon (which, oh yeah, I ran on an injury).  That remains one of the dumber decisions I have made.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

I raced a HM 3 weeks after one marathon, and 4 weeks after another. I think I PR'd both times. But there have certainly been times where there is no way I could have done that. Like I said, I don't usually make any firm post-marathon plans.

Dave

LRB

The only PRs I set after a marathon are for weight gained. Having completed only four, it's a small sample size, but still. Nada.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

IK,R? George would tell us that back in the old days, they used to run a marathon the day before a half.

Back in the old days we didn't have half marathons at least not where I lived. But you could race 4.6 miles or 3.25 or 2.4 or any number of other unusual distances.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.