Beginners and Beyond

Week 21 Penguins are living in the Twilight Zone! (05/10-05/16) (Read 5 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

This is National Twilight Zone Day, which I think couldn't have come at a better time!  I'm getting tired of hearing how "unprecedented" these times are, especially since now they've been unprecedented for weeks, which means now they're precedented IMHO, but it's still Twilight Zone-worthy.

The choir in Washington where so many got sick was not masked or distant.  They set their chairs 1 ft apart, until they gathered around the piano to sing.  We would definitely take more precautions.  But yeah, we're still in wait and see mode.

So sorry to hear about Jim's brother!! 

I just ordered a couple more masks each for me and DH off Etsy, figuring that when things do lift and we can go out again, masks are going to be de rigeur.  Although my folks had actual church yesterday, outside in the parking lot, and only one person wore a mask (not my folks, of course).  I told my mom that she and dad must wear masks when they leave the house, and that it's as much to protect other people as to protect them.  However, I get my considerable stubbornness from my mom, so I suspect she won't listen to me.  Well, I'm still stocked up on gloves and alcohol in case I have to go down and take care of them.

I'm onsite, and got word that I'm getting a QC sample in, so if that comes, I'll be quite busy while I'm here.  If it doesn't, I'll just be mostly busy.  VA will start "phase 1" of reopening on Friday, I think, but that won't affect our teleworking arrangement for some time, and we haven't heard that the June 10 date for return to the office has changed.

So, the precedent continues!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Morning! I have 8 miles tonight. Took today off.

HopesMom, yeah, that wasn't smart of them.

Ginny, I'm sorry to hear about Jim's brother. Hoping he can go see him soon.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

It turns out my BIL may not have cancer but an antibiotic-resistant system-wide infection. My SIL wasn't clear at first, just that it was growing and moving to his lungs, which sounded like cancer. They are doing surgery on Thursday, after he is more stable. He is 78 and has had 2 heart attacks and bypass surgery, so there is reason to worry.

Today is a rest day for me, which is good because I feel a bit off, with stomach pain and no energy. We walked Ben in the rain, but that's it for the day, I think.

Singer who runs a smidge

Sending good vibes to your BIL, Ginny.  Even if it's not cancer, it sounds worrisome!  Also hoping you feel better.

We just got back from our dog walk -- my knees bugged me the whole way.  Yesterday there was quite a bit of wind when I was riding out, and I basically flipped the wind the finger, geared up, and pushed like crazy.  Woman vs. nature, hear me roar.  It was fun, though.  But my knees possibly didn't appreciate it.  Whatevs, they'll feel better in a day or two.

My laptop is possibly flaking out, and there's no way for me to get a new one until we're not teleworking any more, because the IT guys aren't allowed in.  I backed up as much as I could, and I can use DH's (very) old laptop if I need to, so that will be an increase in frustration, but at least a sort of workable solution.  My laptop is having boot issues, though it did boot on the third try ... so my current idea is just not to shut down the computer until next Sunday night in anticipation of going to the lab on Monday.  Hey, if I don't turn it off, it'll stay up, right? 

GinnyinPA

HM - good luck with the computer issue, and your knees.

Cold and windy here again/still. I'll probably do 7 or so. I'd rather go farther, but my 7 mile loop has the wind in my face at the start rather than at the end.

Docket_Rocket

Afternoon! I have 5 and weights tonight.

HopesMom, good luck with the computer. I don't understand why people have to be so stubborn; it's not that hard to wear a mask for a little while.

Ginny, enjoy the 7.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi all!

Apparently I keep not checking in here, sorry about that.  DH had 44 veggie deliveries yesterday, he was pretty much out "working" from 9-5.  We get food credit for his deliveries, but we're not supposed to run up a credit of more than $1000.  Yeah, I think we broke through that ceiling yesterday.  I'm trying to buy more "extras", like eggs, but they're often out of grass-fed hamburger patties, for example.  They were talking about partnering with a greenhouse to provide fresh-cut flowers, I hope they do that.  I would definitely buy flowers.

Anyway, of course there's not much else going on.  Had a faculty meeting yesterday that was geared a lot towards summer and fall semester.  They froze hiring, which is not surprising, but they also froze TA slots for grad students.  Fortunately we already had seven in and approved, but several departments only had verbal offers and acceptances, not paperwork done.  They're not allowed to continue with those hires, which makes me think of all the potential grad students that are now screwed for a year.

There was mention of furloughs too, mostly for faculty and administration, not staff.  It'll be graded based on salaries -- higher-paid folks will be asked to take more furlough days.  It shouldn't be too egregious, something like five days over the 20-21 academic year.  I can live with that.

Did a lot of music work yesterday in addition to faculty meeting, doing more of the same today.  Woo-hoo!

Docket_Rocket

My grandmother died yesterday morning in Miami. I heard it through FB, sigh. She wasn't my blood grandmother but more grandmother than the other two ever were. I'm sad because I tried to contact her the last month and we kept missing each other.

I have 10 miles which might be on the TM since I am off Zyrtec until my allergy test next week.

HopesMom, that's a lot of deliveries! Hoping the furloughs are not too bad.

Damaris

Fundraising Page