Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Hang in there, red.  I've been injured for the past 18 months.  You go through a lot of different stages of grief.  I feel like the beginning can sometimes be the hardest.  I don't want to have surgery either, but people still go on to run after knee replacements, hip replacements, or whatever the hell they're gonna do to my hip with the trimming and the bone shaving, etc.  Do you have another activity you can do in the  meantime?  Do you bike?  I find any form of activity helps with depression, even if it's not my activity of choice.

Oski, are you still feeling crappy and dizzy?

Hopesmom, have you thought about seeing a chrio who does ART/Graston?  I really think that stuff is magic for soft tissue issues.

Running is dumb.

Pinktastic

How's your heart stuff going, Pink?

I am feeling really good, actually.   I still get the occasional heartbeat that feels like my heart is coming out of my chest, but it only lasts for 2 or 3 beats and then it goes away.    They say that it could take 2 or 3 months to fully reap all the benefits of the procedure so eventually those may stop as well.   I am still taking blood thinners and I'm looking forward to stopping those in early December.     Every time I nick my leg shaving, it becomes a full blown geyser, and that's just annoying!    ;-)

I have more energy now, and I feel like I'm thinking more clearly - a crazy side effect of getting more oxygenated blood moving through my system.    I really can't wait until I can start running again (maybe mid-next week).

Thanks for asking Oski!   And, I'm praying that you get some real answers soon!   Healing vibes are on the way to you!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Hip Redux

Oski, are you still feeling crappy and dizzy?

Kinda, but I think most of the latest crappy feeling is from the thyroid meds they have me on.  I have not nearly passed out on any of my runs, so that's good.     But I went weeks between incidents before, so that's why the cardiac monitor for 6 weeks to see if we can capture one of the random events.

Pink - glad you are doing better!

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Thanks Mandy!  I had some bizarre dreams last night.  One I can't remember, another was a jet fighter crashing in an intersection where I was standing, talking with a couple people.  Just weird. Dead  I woke up so stressed that I felt like I hadn't slept.

I also had a person quit on me at work today which just adds to my work load which I'm not really in the mood for.  So now I get to put an ad in, hire them, start training all over again, etc. etc.  When it rains, it pours.

Tomorrow I call the doc if they don't call me by about....say 10am.  Then I'm gonna start pressing for the MRI.  I figure at this point, I've stressed out about it enough, whether it's something that requires surgery or not, I want to know exactly what's up.  I want to know what happened, where, etc.  Bursitis is BS & so is arthritis.  I didn't get either of those overnight. Angry

Randy

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Ok, so I finally had to call the doc....TWICE today as I wasn't getting answers.  The 2nd time I called I get the, "You'd better come in!  Your blood work has all kinds of stuff in it!"

I'm like.............Shocked Dead Sleepy I thought I was gonna pass out.  I was ready for everything under the sun.

I text my wife, tell her I'm RACING down to the docs due to something they found in my blood work.  She leaves her work, races over to meet me.  We get up there, wait, see the prelim guy, wait more, see student doc who says............You're a little high & low on some stuff, but you're fine!  Main doc confirmed the same.

I have slightly low testosterone (to which the doc gave me a battery of questions for symptoms for which I passed w/ flying colors)

I have slightly high blood sugar (to which he did the same & told me to just watch my sugar intake & carb load w/ more pastas than cookies)

CBC was good

Arthritic negative

Thyroid negative

All else, perfectly healthy

MRI referral is in so now I wait.

Overall the leg is feeling better but regardless, I want to know now.  If I tore something so be it.  If it's fine so be it.  But I want hard evidence.  I've invested too much life-shortening stress into this mess to not have hard evidence now. I'm friggin EXHAUSTED!!!   T-G-I-F!!!!!!!! Black eye

Randy

Hip Redux

Mandy - someone in the main forums posted about a labral tear - http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/e77f06a31c884ec7aee6c54fe4bf289c

Red - I'm glad the bloodwork was normal!  Good luck with the MRI approval.

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Well I am officially on the DL.  I you saw my post last week concerning my Philly marathon fail you have the details.  Saw my ortho MD on Wed last week, reviewed the radiologist report which confirmed a full avulsion of my right proximal hamstring.  Basically the muscle no longer is attached to the butt bone.  She says to me I want to operate "tomorrow".  I was like WHAT - thats in 24 hrs.  I had to dance to rearrange my schedule, worked till 10:00pm that night (I run my own business, no disability insurance, no workmans comp, no unemployment).

Surgery went fine, overnight stay, home Fri afternoon (Oxycotin is a wonderful drug btw) and slowly returning to normal.  Have to remain in a hip brace for 6 weeks, 2 weeks at 0deg, then they open to 30deg at 2 weeks and 60 deg at 4 weeks.  Hopefully be back to normal running in 6 months.

If I had to isolate on any particular incident, my guess is that I probably partially tore the tendon during some hill spints I though were good for me.  Did 10 reps up a hill at a full sprint, but at that time had only been running 3 months with perhaps 300 total miles under my belt.  It felt like piriformis pain (which it could have been and the tear is coincidential) but I will never know.

I canot drive for 6 weeks with the brace on, its illegal, not to mention dangerous.  Sleep only on my back.  Going potty is an amusement ride.  Eating standing up right now as I cannot sit other than in a plank position leaning way back.  6" incision along my right butt cheek.

I will return to running, hopefully not get too depressed over the next 6 weeks.  Surgeon was optimistic that I will get back 95-97% pre activity levels.  Right now my right butt cheek is completely numb, like it left the dentist office. That could last a month or more as the nerves hopefully grow back.  Very clean operation, sciatica nerve was easy to isolate, no damage to the muscle, no unusual tension so it reattached nicely.

In my case the practice first wanted an x-ray, I said i was not paying for that and only and MRI would do.  I was correct.  Stay on top of the quacks doctors we visit, ask plenty of questions and do not let them lull you into a false sence of confidence.  It may be expensive with tests, especially out of network or procedure, but heath > bank account.

That is all for now.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Damn, four!  It's good to hear that things well relatively well for you, given the circumstances.  By the way, from a previous surgery I can tell you that the nerves coming back feel like little zings.  You'll just get this little sort of buzz feeling for a second.  It's weird, but it doesn't hurt.

Oski, thanks for pointing that out!  I meet with the surgeon tomorrow.  I'm already feeling anxiety.  Good grief.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

I cannot even imagine how painful that was, Four!    Damn.  I hope the weeks fly by for you and you're out of that contraption quickly!

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

YIKES Four!  I would say that not having time to think about it was probably a good thing!  Now you are already on your way to recovery!

Heal up!

LRB

Well I am officially on the DL.

Wow, that sounds like a curse from hell!  Hang tough bro.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I think I just passed out!  Tight lips

Daggum!!

And actually, power to ya for swinging that all on self employment!!  That's a huge accomplishment in itself, but I gotta say, I, too, think the "tomorrow" was a blessing!  Whirlwind in & out.  Already the clock ticks!!  Time is marching as we type!!

Smile

Randy

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

OMG Mandi, thanks for clearing up a mystery for me.

Damn, four!  It's good to hear that things well relatively well for you, given the circumstances.  By the way, from a previous surgery I can tell you that the nerves coming back feel like little zings.  You'll just get this little sort of buzz feeling for a second.  It's weird, but it doesn't hurt.

Oski, thanks for pointing that out!  I meet with the surgeon tomorrow.  I'm already feeling anxiety.  Good grief.

Every once and a while I felt this little zing, and would wonder if it was part of the incision tearing.  Felt just like a little tear, then gone.  Of course that is not the case, but you never know.  Now I know.  I owe you come cookies.....nah, Catty owes you some cookies cause I am still a noob and well...noobs cannot cook.

Sorry to hear about the surgery, four. Although my surgery was for a lesser injury, I was given a similar recovery plan: 6 weeks immobilized, then 4 weeks of rest, then gradually start running again and hopefully back to normal in 6 months. I was shocked at how much my leg had atrophied, but even more shocked at how quickly I'm getting back into running. Hopefully you'll be able to recover faster than you think, as well. Smile

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

OMG Mandi, thanks for clearing up a mystery for me.

Every once and a while I felt this little zing, and would wonder if it was part of the incision tearing.  Felt just like a little tear, then gone.  Of course that is not the case, but you never know.  Now I know.  I owe you come cookies.....nah, Catty owes you some cookies cause I am still a noob and well...noobs cannot cook.

Big grin

I would never turn down a cookie!  But yes, zings are the best way I can think to describe it.  And they will happen for a long time!  I mean, you'll think that they're gone and you'll feel one 6 months down the road.  Don't worry about them....your nerves are just waking back up.

Running is dumb.