Beginners and Beyond

FriDAILIES (Read 30 times)

LRB

Hehe

Commuted again today. Kinda getting used to the backpack.

Woke up at 3, couldn't sleep, so I got up at 5. Had nothing to do so I ordered some running gear online. A LRS is going out of business and everything is 50-80% off. I bought a pair of Boston Boost 5s for $30, Supernova Glide 7s for $48, and Saucony Ride 9s GTX for puddle running for $95. Those are Canadian dollars, and with the normal shoe price around here, it is quite a deal, especially on the two pairs of Adidas. The Sauconys were $190 at regular price, so 50% off ain't too bad either. Threw in a stick of Glide at 50% to have free shipping.

I was so happy.

This evening, got home from work, and picked up my tablet. My paypal session had expired, so I logged in. Once logged in, I was on the "choose payment option" page, with the button "Pay" just waiting to be clicked. I thought "damn, I forgot to pay this morning. So I paid, hoping that they still have what I ordered in stock, or else it's gonna be complicated.

Then I look at my payment history, and I paid twice for the same order. I paid this morning, and when I logged in paypal again, it let me pay again for the same order. Fuuuuck. How do I cancel this? Read the help pages and it turns out I can't since the transaction got accepted right away. They suggested I contact the seller directly, and if it doesn't work, to file a dispute claim (or something like that).

But the store I ordered from is closed. No one works there anymore. The phone answers with an out of business message.

I wrote an email explaining the problem to info@storename... (which I found on the web page), and went out to eat with the family feeling like a damn idiot. Who the hell pays twice for an order? The owner doesn't care about a bad reputation, he's out of business. He'll never answer me... and all kinds of things going throigh my mind.

About an hour later I got a refund message from paypal, and an answer to my email right after that.

Man... I answered thanking them for their honesty and the quickness with which they answered me.

End of story.

The issuer of the card or holder of the account you paid from can stop payment and even get the payment back, so that's who you should be contacting.

Cyberic

The issuer of the card or holder of the account you paid from can stop payment and even get the payment back, so that's who you should be contacting.

I'm the owner of the account I paid from, and I see no way to stop the payment since the seller had a verified account or something.

It SHOULD be as easy as you say, but it is not.

"Only payments that are sent to unregistered or unconfirmed email addresses and mobile numbers may be canceled. They will have a status of “Unclaimed” and will show in the “Pending” section of your PayPal account.

If the payment is completed, you won't be able to cancel it yourself, as the recipient will already have received the money. To cancel a payment that's been completed, please contact the recipient and request a refund."

https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/can-i-cancel-a-payment-that-i've-already-sent-faq637

I'm disappointed in Paypal. But it's all good, got my money back from the seller.

LRB

I'm the owner of the account I paid from, and I see no way to stop the payment since the seller had a verified account or something.

It SHOULD be as easy as you say, but it is not.

"Only payments that are sent to unregistered or unconfirmed email addresses and mobile numbers may be canceled. They will have a status of “Unclaimed” and will show in the “Pending” section of your PayPal account.

If the payment is completed, you won't be able to cancel it yourself, as the recipient will already have received the money. To cancel a payment that's been completed, please contact the recipient and request a refund."

https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/can-i-cancel-a-payment-that-i've-already-sent-faq637

I'm disappointed in Paypal. But it's all good, got my money back from the seller.

So how do you put money into your paypal account? It's not withdrawn from a bank or other financial institution?

Cyberic

I have configured my bank account. So you are suggesting I could have gone to my banking institution and have them cancel the payment?

I did not understand correctly what you were suggesting.

LRB

I have configured my bank account. So you are suggesting I could have gone to my banking institution and have them cancel the payment?

I did not understand correctly what you were suggesting.

Exactly. Explain the situation and they can get that money back. It's typically handled by the theft/fraud prevention division, and they don't play!

Cyberic

Exactly. Explain the situation and they can get that money back. It's typically handled by the theft/fraud prevention division, and they don't play!

That would have been my move on Monday (banking business hours), but I was a little afraid they'd tell me "that ain't no fraud. You sent them money willingly". But yeah, I would have managed, of course. No way I would have lost that $200 without a fight.

Still feel like an idiot. Still think paypal should allow a 30 minutes cancel window, or something. Still feel like an idiot.

Docket_Rocket

Make a complaint with PP.  After the other side does not respond, they will refund your payment.

You either tell them you paid twice or that they never sent you the item (which is true since you paid and will not receive the item).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

That would have been my move on Monday (banking business hours), but I was a little afraid they'd tell me "that ain't no fraud. You sent them money willingly". But yeah, I would have managed, of course. No way I would have lost that $200 without a fight.

Still feel like an idiot. Still think paypal should allow a 30 minutes cancel window, or something. Still feel like an idiot.

Understood, but there are rules and guidelines for merchants to have the right to use credit, debit and electronic paymservices. Anyway, you'll figure it out.

LRB

Make a complaint with PP.  After the other side does not respond, they will refund your payment.

You either tell them you paid twice or that they never sent you the item (which is true since you paid and will not receive the item).

You feeling pain?

on my way to badass

I want cupcakes!

I want at least 5!

4 miles done on the treadmill.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Docket_Rocket

You feeling pain?

Yes, but not too bad.  The massage therapist taped the knee too.

And it's only 4 more days before surgery.  I've run 35(?) marathons; I can do this! 

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

Yes, but not too bad.  The massage therapist taped the knee too.

And it's only 4 more days before surgery.  I've run 35(?) marathons; I can do this! 

Aren't you selling yourself shorter than shit? I read somewhere that it was more like 135.

3.8 easy. It was almost light out for my entire run after work!

It was almost light out at the end of my run this morning, before work!

And light after work, when I went for beers! Of course that was at 3:30.... 

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Aren't you selling yourself shorter than shit? I read somewhere that it was more like 135.

I would have to count the medals at work, LOL.  And no, it's 35 or thereabouts.  Should have been closer to 43 this year, sigh.  Oh, well.

Damaris

Fundraising Page