Beginners and Beyond

2019 Race 52 Zero Prostate Cancer 5K 10K (Read 11 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.     

Link to photos only:

https://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2019%2520Race%2520Reports/2019%2520Race%2520Number%252052%2520Zero%2520Prostate%25205K?sort=2

BEFORE MY START

My 52nd race of 2019 was the Zero Prostate 5K held on Sep 22 at Mission County Park in San Antonio.  This was my 2nd 5K of the weekend after doing the Scallywompus 5K the night before this event.  This event raises money for prostate cancer research – which I appreciate since I am facing an upcoming prostate biopsy since my last PSA was a bit high. Anyhoo, there was also a 10K and a 1-mile walk, and a short kid’s run, I think.  10K started at 8:10 with the 5K starting at 8:20. I arrived with about a little over an hour to go to the star time and got a few pre-start photos.  Once more, nice to be out-and-about again with my running friends in the community after my pacemaker implant, and especially my bestie running friend Bernadette.

Me with my very speedy friend Woody

photo IMG_6470_zpsxl65g2uj.jpg

With prostate cancer survivor Bill Doc Byrd, former 82nd Airborne combat medic, recovering himself from a few things, and friend Hudson  Bill and I walked the course together.

photo IMG_6480_zps2a8gqtnr.jpg

With Keyes, my running wife with no benefits, Bernadette, and friend Ralph, who walked the course with me and Bill.

photo IMG_6485_zpsxjgvzyzy.jpg

Various

photo IMG_6467_zps0pvoxlrv.jpg

MC Mark on the far right

photo IMG_6468_zpsk5l4ujuj.jpg

photo IMG_6469_zps8wisjawz.jpg

photo IMG_6471_zpsfmg0zmu1.jpg

photo IMG_6472_zpsrpl0apwz.jpg

photo IMG_6473_zpshjvgqjyq.jpg

photo IMG_6474_zpsg2yiitlv.jpg

With my amazing 70+ year old friend Albert who still manages to get around even after being hit by  a Toyota Tundra idiot truck driver while riding his bike. He's out of running commission for a while with leg and arm injuries, but still manages to get about.

photo IMG_6475_zpsam6ebo6v.jpg

Friends Donny and Mary.  This was Donny's first race in a while after dealing with some issues himself.  Good to see us both back in action.

photo IMG_6476_zps5xxje2xf.jpg

photo IMG_6477_zpszixpywid.jpg

photo IMG_6478_zpsnq3vi0mf.jpg

photo IMG_6479_zps4nt9fh10.jpg

photo IMG_6482_zpstanlljah.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Both courses were out-and-back, with the 10K folks, of course, going a little longer to their turn-round point.  We started from the park, went down a short sidewalk and then proceeded on Padre Drive, a really nice wide road that can accommodate a lot of people, so room for all. We did a turn off Padre drive, negotiated a few short up-and-down inclines, got to the turn-round point and then back the way we’d come out.  As I was not yet cleared to run, I walked the course with two friends, Bill and Ralph, who were kind enough to walk at my slow pace. Bill is also in recovery mode after having surgery on his arm/shoulder, so probably good for him to walk my slow pace, lol.  Bill is also a prostate cancer survivor, so this event has special meaning for him.  We had an enjoyable time walking along and chatting, with me stopping on occasion to take a few photos, and then catching back up to the other two.  Surprisingly, even at my slow pace, we ended up finishing in under an hour, just barely, at 59:48.

Getting ready to start.  Since I was walking, I tried to line up way at the back behind the runners

photo IMG_6487_zpsy9zyyioq.jpg

...but there were still people behind me...

photo IMG_6488_zpsa865iazz.jpg

On Padre Drive

photo IMG_6489_zpsl7oalbpi.jpg

Some of the speedy 5K folks already heading to the finish

photo IMG_6490_zps8yidoks1.jpg

photo IMG_6491_zps619fdblc.jpg

Heading into the sun to the turn-round point.  Temp at 8:30 in San Antonio on this Sep morn was a cool 83 degrees

photo IMG_6492_zpsvktjn2aa.jpg

photo IMG_6494_zps7hk2fy1i.jpg

5K turn-round point

photo IMG_6495_zpsa02ktb9o.jpg

Bill with his sign he had put out along the course

photo IMG_6496_zpslyfpbhbv.jpg

Heading back toward the finish now, negotiating this downhill-uphill incline

photo IMG_6497_zpsksxvskiz.jpg

Creek to our right as we went along.  The course used to go over that bridge many years ago..and that thing swayed like crazy as lots of people crossed over it.

photo IMG_6498_zpsfsoxuoxx.jpg

Friend Woody passing us on his way to placing in the 10K

photo IMG_6499_zps7tkdd0i5.jpg

OK, I think maybe we 5K folks came too far...    Wink

photo IMG_6500_zpsout2gzsw.jpg

photo IMG_6501_zpsaij8ztte.jpg

Back on flat ground all the way to the finish

photo IMG_6502_zpsfqobxg1t.jpg

photo IMG_6503_zpsxx9xzyqj.jpg

Back on the sidewalk we started out on.   1/10 of a mile now to the finish

photo IMG_6504_zpsfp4xqhjf.jpg

After My Finish

Nice after-party with music, sausages, various other kinds of food and fruits, cold bottled water and two types of really good beer from local craft brewery Alamo Beer.  The NBA Spurs Coyote also showed up and had fun with the kids there.

And the party started in the nice park pavilion and on the grounds....

photo IMG_6505_zpscqi5jiqy.jpg

photo IMG_6507_zpsbq020ao7.jpg

Spurs Coyote with the kids

photo IMG_6510_zpsvlg5zjqj.jpg

Happy finishers et al....

photo IMG_6512_zpslzolpjgp.jpg

photo IMG_6511_zpsoiffx8n3.jpg

photo IMG_6513_zpsr9tccdpg.jpg

photo IMG_6514_zpswtkba4am.jpg

photo IMG_6515_zpsnant2qev.jpg

photo IMG_6516_zpspn0ij0oq.jpg

photo IMG_6517_zpsvp1jex9k.jpg

photo IMG_6518_zpshpwrya0e.jpg

photo IMG_6519_zpsy9l4wf54.jpg

photo IMG_6520_zps6iueatku.jpg

EPILOGUE

Have don’t his one several times in the past and will continue to do it in the future. Always a quality event for a good cause.  Nice park with excellent facilities; nice quality race tees; good course, excellent post-race goodies and good camaraderie.  Certainly would recommend this one to others.

Mucho thanks to all the people that made this one happen for us; organizers, volunteers, sponsors, iaapweb for course setup, timing, and results, law enforcement and EMT folks out there for us, and anyone else I may not have mentioned here. Thanks for what all of you do to give we participants this event.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Good luck with your biopsy Scott. I'm glad you're able to get out and attend races again. When will you be cleared to run?

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Null

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt