Beginners and Beyond

Would a muzzled dog (leashed or unleashed) make you feel safer? (Read 82 times)

TakeAHike

Yeah, I'd like to know where they live so I can avoid those areas completely. I've only met questionable dogs in neighborhoods or the one next door, but luckily the owner built a fence to keep him from charging us at the back door, he bit my stepson and had almost attacked me and Molly the first year we moved out to Chandler. We use the backdoor because the driveway is right there, we have 4 doors......... technically this is probably a sidedoor but that dog (Aussie) was sweet and playful in the beginning but then after a  few months he would start running at us as we'd either be coming out of the door or going in, almost biting me 3 times, I actually dumped my coffee on his head, and he almost attacked Molly who began to hate him. They had played before but she and Rocky were sick of him, the fence doesn't go all way to the road, so one day this past Summer DH was out there raking leaves and picking up large sticks when the dog came charging at him, he did this 3 times and on the third time DH cracked him in the skull with a large stick.

Rocky is overly friendly with dogs and people, but he needs to work on his manners and learn what personal space is because he really doesn't have a clue that not everybody wants to bump shoulders, sniff his penis (which he throws out in the dog's face, he learned that from doing it to Molly to get her into a playful mood...... doesn't really work with other female dogs), or say hi at all. That is why I am going to get a remote shock collar so that he'll understand a lot faster that we don't run up excitedly to other dogs or people, he might be well-socialized with dogs and people but another dog might not be. Though I must say, so far the dogs quickest to play with him and be friendly have always been Pit Bull breeds.

Did you report this bite to the authorities?  Many municipalities require all dog bites to be reported.  I think we would have fewer issues if people reported encounters like this.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

We had talked to an officer who supposedly went over told the guy to keep his dog on a lead, even though he has an invisible fence that doesn't work. We're pretty sure the guy is buddies with most of the officers here in Chandler so it wouldn't have done any good.  It was decent of the guy to at least build a fence, now they went and bought another Aussie Angry who is basically being trained by the other one to be as neurotic as he is. The problem isn't the dog, it's the fact that the owners don't exercise them, don't really play or interact with them, and herding dogs need exercise more than a lot of other dogs otherwise they can become dangerous. It was confusing because a month before he started his annoying crap, he would actually come over and play with us, hang out in the yard with us and our dogs......... just weird.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Dad on the run.

FreeSoul - Let me know how the collar works. I have though about getting them for both of my dogs to work with them off leash. I know some people are against them but I personally don't see an issue as long as they are used responsibly.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I should receive it next week, so we will see. I just wish I had the time to properly train him, but with a toddler it is just insane and I am the only one who wants a well-behaved, well-mannered dog............. then again I am the only one who walks and runs with him.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)