Beginners and Beyond

Flying Friday Penguins (Read 17 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

(Super early) morning pens!  I am flying home today.  I am about to head out for my last run in Paris - 6 miles probably just as loops of the Champ de Mars because running along there is nice and shady.  Assuming that I accomplish this run I've gotten all of my designated marathon training miles in while in Paris - granted they were all easy miles and I switched around days and mileage amounts per day a bit, but the total mileage is right :-)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

PADRunner

Have a safe trip home sapf.

6 done this morning, and Friday is Friday again!

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Pro tip: always check in online as early as possible. They oversold our flight and had to bump a lot of people from it. Luckily I reminded dh about 23 hours before to check us in online. There are many upset and grumpy people in the lounge right now.

Wound up with 6.2 this morning. I rolled my ankle about one mile into the run but I was able to complete it. The park had a lot of loose and large rocks. I suppose when I go "off roading" I should wear my ankle brace for a bit more stability.

From the Internet.

Hi pens! 70 minutes in the pool this morning. Need to get some work done but I'm mentally checked out because it's a lovely summer Friday! I have planned simple tasks for the day so I don't screw anything up too badly :P

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I'm super-tired today, but enjoying my last day in the lab without my tech.  I don't have a whole lot going on today, so I might bug out a little early.  Woo-hoo for Friday!!

sapf -- safe travels, and hope your last Paris run was awesome!!

PAD -- woo-hoo for your 6 done, and awesome pic!!

Lauren -- Yeah, simple tasks are the way to go.  I have to type up some chorus stuff and make some bullet points about my new instrument.  And flush some columns.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

sapf - safe travels.  You did really well to get all your miles in, despite being on vacation.  It bodes really well for the rest of your training.

Mitch - I hope you've got a rest day after yesterday's double.

Emmbee - pushing a stroller counts double, - or at least it should.

Lauren - good job on the early pool run.  Maybe a lunchtime stroll will help you get your fill of summer for the day?

PAD - nice picture and good job on the early 6.

HopesMom - enjoy your peace and quiet.  I hope you have a good weekend.

I have no idea what I'm doing today.  I'm ahead on my miles for the week since I didn't take Monday off, so it may be a RD or just a short one.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Definitely a walking day for me.  We will drive up along the bike path a few miles so  we can have some different scenery.

Safe trip, sapf.  Good advice about the check ins.  We got bumped a few years ago from our flight from Rome to Chicago and ended up flying through Frankfort.  It was a long day.

Have a great weekend !!!

Zelanie

Hey guys! Spent the last couple of days hanging out with my parents and sister, now we're headed up to the Rockies for the day. Smile I've been fitting my miles in as I can around family stuff, actually managed 10.5 yesterday by running morning and evening. Today is probably a RD but we will be hiking at least a bit at high elevation. Smile

Saph, safe travels!

Docket_Rocket

Not sure how I missed this thread since it was opened at 2am?   I have Pilates and 7-8 miles tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Hey,  D, good luck  this weekend!

Docket_Rocket

Hey,  D, good luck  this weekend!

Thanks!  I'll be running with hubby so nothing major!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

Jill, safe travels to ya!

Zel, how's the altitude affecting your runs?

Jerry, Ginny, I did take a RD today. Had the opportunity to sleep in till 7:30 am. It feels good once in awhile to get extra sleep. Started night shifts tonight, yuck! Will be helping my running club with timing in the morning, and maybe I'll get to squeeze in a few miles between setup and the race start. It's a CC run and a lot of the local school kids will be there, about 200 of them!!

GinnyinPA

Mitch - have fun as a volunteer tomorrow.

I ended up going into town so I could run on residential streets with big trees.  Not enough of them in the area I ran, but it was another low humidity day, so it wasn't too bad.  It was fun just reaching a corner and turning in the direction with the most shade then gradually working my way back to the car.  A little over 5 miles total.

emmbee

queen of headlamps

Unscheduled sort of RD today.  I had five planned, but didn't get it done before it got hot, and my hip is achy, so I did an hour on the elliptical instead.