Beginners and Beyond

Yowser: One dead, 30 hospitalized after half marathon (Read 240 times)

Love the Half

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Ball of Fury

Wow!  I guess it's a really good thing they postponed the FM!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Mattchiro

Happy to be here.

That's very sad.

Half PR:  1:34 (August, 2012)

Marathon PR:  3:45 (October, 2012)

Next race:  ???

Next Marathon:  2015???

delicate flower

WHOA.  Bluerun ran that and PR'd by like six hours.

edit:  oops...bluerun did Jerusalem.

<3

outoftheblue

That's really horrible.  I'm a bit surprised however, I run in 90+ degree (dry heat) temperatures quite frequently in the summer and never thought of it as dangerous, as long as I had plenty of water.  I guess it was the combination of race effort, plus lack of acclimatization that did people in.

Life is good.

LRB

Damn.  Medically induced comas is some serious stuff.  Hopefully that was a precaution and there is no more loss of life.

GC100k

Very sad.  My first marathon it was 95 degrees and people were collapsing all over, but thankfully no one died.

Love the Half

I wonder if the low humidity made things worse?  Moreover, I'm really surprised to see folks collapsing like this in a half marathon.  I would not have thought that most would be out there long enough for overheating to be a problem.  I would obviously have been wrong.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

bluerun

Super B****

WHOA.  Bluerun ran that and PR'd by like six hours.

edit:  oops...bluerun did Jerusalem.

2:07:39, actually.  I WANTED to do this one too, but I couldn't stay away for that long... I guess that turned out to be a good thing?  I know some people who ran the 10K, and they were complaining that it was 96 in the shade.  But the person I spoke with did Jerusalem too, and she posted a better time here.

I was also really shocked to see this happen in a half... I wouldn't have been as surprised if it were to happen during a full, but this was not something I would have expected.  Then again, it's kind of freakish for it to be THIS hot in March, so I guess nobody was really acclimated, even people who live there.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

B-Plus

Yikes!

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Sadly we see those numbers in the US as well.  Back in 2007 for the Chicago marathon the carnage was 1 dead and about 250 in the hospital along with hundreds more getting on course medical treatment.

paulski66

miscreant

Holy shit. That's awful...

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

Luke79

So sad.  It sucks that some people get all excited for a race and get all geared up, and then they show up just to have a terrible experience and end up on a stretcher.  Poor people Sad

GC100k

I wonder if the low humidity made things worse?  Moreover, I'm really surprised to see folks collapsing like this in a half marathon.  I would not have thought that most would be out there long enough for overheating to be a problem.  I would obviously have been wrong.

I guess I could check the results to see where people are from, but I wonder if it made any difference if people are coming from northern climates where it's winter now or if they were from the middle east and acclimated to the heat.  And that's an interesting question - what's worse: Humidity that hinders your ability to cool yourself or dryness that causes you to lose more fluid?

I was surprised that so many had problems in Chicago in 07 because for an October race they did long runs in the heat of the summer.  But maybe I'm overestimating the acclimatization factor.

The two times I got heat exhaustion during runs I didn't do anything different than any other day and it wasn't any hotter.  It was friggin hot but I was used to it.  Don't know why it happened those times.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Dang, that's awful, and sad.  As someone said, probably a good thing they moved the full to another date.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt