Beginners and Beyond

RR- Mardi Gras 5K (Read 62 times)

Great job, Zelanie.

Fun argument with your legs... and you are really a good runner, even if they were being surly.

Zelanie

Thanks, guys!  I ran my LR today and it just felt like a normal run outside of some stiffness in the first mile, so I guess I'll chalk yesterday's race up to a good supported training run.

Redrum- Your legs are totally on notice now.  I will be looking for that sub-25 in your RR!

D- Thanks!  Can't wait to read your post-surgery RRs!

Andrew- Yes, the 10 miler should tell me a lot more about my fitness.  It's not a soft PR by any means, and there should be plenty of competition and spectator support.  I think my main issue is that I don't do a lot of running or training at faster paces, but I do seem to be able to get into HM pace and hold steady.  I'm hoping that means that when I run my first full, that as long as I've trained well that I won't see as steep of a drop compared to the other distances compared to many runners in their first full.

music girl, Mitch- Thanks!  I wonder how this race would have gone without a watch.  I knew my pace well enough to put just enough effort into each mile as I went.  But I wear the watch to avoid running the entire race in the first mile.

PAD- Thank you!  Now I have a silly 5K medal from my AG award to go with my HM ones.

Ric- You're right.  Eventually I won't just be able to go out and run a PR any time I feel like it.

Jack- Hopefully we can both run together in Eugene at some point!  I was thinking about your comments on my run today.  Definitely was a confidence booster knowing that I could race yesterday and still get my LR in today.

workin- Glad you enjoyed the RR!

Beth- Thank you!  Hopefully your tourist marathons bring you out to enjoy the west coast some time!

Scottydog- Thanks!  It would have been a good Scottydog race.  There were a few dogs running the race, plus somebody's off-leash dog decided to join the race for a while.  Then we went past the city's off-leash dog park.  You might have run out of cookies!

OOTB- That's it exactly!

LRB- Thanks!  I haven't done a lot of training at faster paces lately since I've been focusing on LRs, MLRs, and tempo work.  And those will pay off in my longer races, I think.

Lily- Thanks!  That is true!  I am happy with how far I've come, it's just that the next goal is always out there to reach for.

Jay- Thank you!  Smile

delicate flower

Arguing with your legs is like arguing with a wife:  You'll never win the argument.  You're a chick...you know how that goes!

Great job on the race, Zel!  Good looking splits, too.  It's hard to throw down a really fast 5K time if you have not been doing speedwork and have been focusing on distance.  I've been focusing on my longer runs lately and I think I'd probably need a couple months of steady speed workouts to attempt a 5K PR.

<3

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Awesome job on the PR.  I think more 5k's would result in better pacing, but I have trouble speeding up.  If I start fast, I find it easier to maintain.  If I start slow, it seems really hard to pick it up.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

SheCan

LOL your report!  I loved it, and yes, it sounds very much like my ONE 5k that I did & that was back in 2009-- I think my time was like 27:?? minutes or so.  So I don't think you should put too much stock into one 5k race.  It may not be what your'e best in, and we all know that you're capable of soooooo so much.  Nonetheless, congratulations, you did fine, and you'll crush the 10k.  Plus, I LOVE a person that can look at the humor in a situation, and your RR just really made me smile.  Take care sweet friend!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Pinktastic

Congrats, Zelanie!   I think you did really well!   I can't wait to hear how you do in your goal race!

P.S.  your legs are mighty feisty!   Tell them I appreciated hearing their thought - butter them up so they behave better next time.   ;-)

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Congrats on the PR and AG award! I loved the leg dialogue. I do that all the time. Good luck with your 10 miler. Smile

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

Zelanie

Phil- Yeah, the legs had a mind of their own that day, I guess it happens.

Awood- I think I might have been able to pull if off if I would have forced myself to speed up just for a little bit.  The pace I was at felt like all that my legs wanted to run, but that doesn't necessarily mean that 10-20 sec faster would have felt worse.  That's what I have to remind myself I guess.

Cherie- That's awesome that you've only run one 5K!  I love the fact that you are so honest with yourself about what you want and what your goals are, and then you go out and get them!  I don't like 5Ks, but I feel strangely like I do want to figure them out at some point.  I just don't want that more than I want to focus on my goal races, though.

Pink- Good idea!  I will commence leg flattery!

nova- Thanks!  I suspect we've all been there.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I know that feeling...lol  Especially when you are trainingfor a longer race, and not training at your goal 5k pace much.  I'm focusing on the 5k this year, but have a half on the schedule.  I hope I don't have the opposite problem.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Amazonian Princess

Loved your race report and congrats on a job well done!!

I had no idea that legs could be so mouthy

I can. I will. I am.