Beginners and Beyond

Heart rate question (Read 45 times)

workinprogress11

I have a heart rate monitor but it's packed away in moving boxes somewhere. I've been trying to run more by effort and have been taking my pulse manually when I have to stop for traffic. Today I  had 5 easy miles planned. I started my run and the slow end of my easy pace felt like a slog. My heart rate was hovering around 144 and the run just felt crappy. This went on for about 3 1/2 miles. Suddenly I started feeling better and noticed that the same effort was resulting in a faster pace AND a lower heart rate. As soon as I finished the 5 miles I took my pulse and it was 126 but I had finished the last mile significantly faster than the first three.

Is this just the way it goes sometimes?  I almost felt like I was a car in the wrong gear when I started and then once I got in the right gear everything got a lot smoother. Something like this happens probably about once a week. Is this just a normal thing that I happened to notice because I've started paying attention to my heart rate?  Is this a dumb thing to wonder about?

MrNamtor

Besides being tired, do you feel any pain or discomfort when it's happened?

Docket_Rocket

Yes.  I think you have asthma as well, if I remember correctly?  I get those upper HR readings for a while, then my lungs settle and I run faster and at lower HR.  I also have spikes that do not last a long time.  I would say your lungs had not warmed up for the first 3 miles (it takes mine 4 or around that depending on the weather).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

workinprogress11

Yes.  I think you have asthma as well, if I remember correctly?  I get those upper HR readings for a while, then my lungs settle and I run faster and at lower HR.  I also have spikes that do not last a long time.  I would say your lungs had not warmed up for the first 3 miles (it takes mine 4 or around that depending on the weather).

I do have asthma. I think it may be getting worse, unfortunately. I have an appointment with my pulmonogist next month.  I will chalk the heart rate thing up to that and just be grateful for the times all systems seem to be functioning properly.   Thanks for the info.

Docket_Rocket

Sorry.  Good luck at the doctor!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page