Beginners and Beyond

I finally ran Boston (Read 204 times)

SheCan

Great report!  I guess seeing the nic Goo, I'd assumed you'd ran Boston many times.  It's wonderful you finally made it there, even though this wasn't your year to go all out.   You still did so incredibly, unbelievably good, I'm in total awe (too bad we don't have the bowing emoticon anymore!)  Cheers to next year--- can't wait to see how how you rank!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

That's sweet that they give you your AG on the back, you must have felt like a marked man.

Coming through the half quickly but knowing the training isn't there to support the second half is brutal eh? Good luck with crushing it in 2015 (maybe I'll be there???), that's a cool idea to lay down flowers next year.

Thanks for writing and sharing the photos!

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

Great report, Goo.  Congrats on your sub 3, and it was very kind of you to help pace your friend.

Good luck with the AG competition next year, how did you convince them that you're really 20 years older than you look and 40 years older than you run?

Love the Half

I saw a few runners with AG markers on their backs and wondered what that meant.  Now I know.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Goorun

I saw a few runners with AG markers on their backs and wondered what that meant.  Now I know.

My bib

and top 10 qualifiers in my AG (you could see top woman in 55-59 too, wow).

Slow and steady never wins anything.

Goorun

I want to add this pic, because it shows the orange "Running for Jenny" bracelet I was wearing.

Zelanie

Congratulations on running Boston for the first time!  Maybe I will see you in a Pacific NW race sometime.  Rather, maybe I will be running over an hour behind you! Wink

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

As one who appreciates Boston for its rich traditions and history rather than as a race for which one needs a qualifying time, I empathize with your desire to run Boston. It's for similar reasons that I even reached outside my comfort zone to run a marathon - because I had an opportunity to run Boston before qualifying times were required. No other marathon would have enticed me to do so. It was a memorable experience. Unfortunately yours was too for the wrong reasons. I'm glad you were able to turn from the horrific to take some positive experiences home. I hope that one day we'll be able to meet. Perhaps a trip to Boston to cheer for my friends should be in the works for next year.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

happylily

As one who appreciates Boston for its rich traditions and history rather than as a race for which one needs a qualifying time, I empathize with your desire to run Boston. It's for similar reasons that I even reached outside my comfort zone to run a marathon - because I had an opportunity to run Boston before qualifying times were required. No other marathon would have enticed me to do so. It was a memorable experience. Unfortunately yours was too for the wrong reasons. I'm glad you were able to turn from the horrific to take some positive experiences home. I hope that one day we'll be able to meet. Perhaps a trip to Boston to cheer for my friends should be in the works for next year.

I know for myself that it would make my own 2014 Boston experience very special if I could finally meet you there. We should have a huge FE with our Boston people as well!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Wow, I didn't realize that you had taken the running break that you did.  Congrats for just getting back on the horse, so to speak.  And to be able to continue to do it at a high level is awesome.  It is a shame that you weren't able to get the training in to really compete for your AG, but it sounds like next year will really be your race.  Glad you had a great time, and an excellent run all things considered.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Goorun

I know for myself that it would make my own 2014 Boston experience very special if I could finally meet you there. We should have a huge FE with our Boston people as well!

+ 1000000

this is another reason we are going back in 2014.

Goorun

One more thing showing how special Boston is.

I was looking at results of my 55-59 AG at the London marathon, which is one another huge world class race which took place the  last weekend.

It shows the Boston really is the Holy Grail.

Boston 55-59 AG: 22 men ran sub 3 hours (my time good enough for 12th in AG)

London 55-59 AG: 4 men ran sub 3 hours (my time would be 3rd in AG)

happylily

One more thing showing how special Boston is.

I was looking at results of my 55-59 AG at the London marathon, which is one another huge world class race which took place the  last weekend.

It shows the Boston really is the Holy Grail.

Boston 55-59 AG: 22 men ran sub 3 hours (my time good enough for 12th in AG)

London 55-59 AG: 4 men ran sub 3 hours (my time would be 3rd in AG)

Wow! Awesome, Goo. Yes, the people you were competing against were all BQers, not just regular marathon runners. It makes your ranking that much more significant.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Goorun

Wow! Awesome, Goo. Yes, the people you were competing against were all BQers, not just regular marathon runners. It makes your ranking that much more significant.

Big grin

It applies to you too and everybody who BQ. I just want to point out over all quality of runners Boston attracts.

Love the Half

Big grin

It applies to you too and everybody who BQ. I just want to point out over all quality of runners Boston attracts.

No question about that.  My 3:23 put me around 6,700th place.  That's roughly the top 25%.  In my qualifier, that same time would have been 40th out of 427 which is roughly the top 10%.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).