Beginners and Beyond

Westfield Turkey Trot Races (Read 20 times)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Turkey Trot 1 Mile - I ran this race with my younger son per his request.  As usual with family runs, the little kids took off at the start and most were walking before the halfway point, leaving a minefield of children to avoid running over.  Happily, my son was not among those who dashed out and faded.  He kept going, but I could hear his breath getting more labored.  The cold (38 degrees) was not going well in combination with his asthma, so we eased back a bit.  Approaching the finish line, he did his usual mad dash to the end, which was good to see.  He finished about a minute slower than his best, crossing in 9:12, good for top half of his AG.  After the race he was breathing hard and complaining his throat hurt from the cold (though not enough for him to eat the warm chicken noodle soup available), but he recovered.

Turkey Trot 5 Mile - Today was my 5th running of this race.  My first attempt was my first race ever more than 5k, done in 48:54 (9:47 pace), and my best was 42:33 (8:31).  I was worried about being able to run at a fast pace after having slower runs since the marathon.  That didn't stop my from trying, as I donned my light, speed shoes, and dressed lightly in shorts and a long-sleeved wicking shirt (my NY Marathon shirt, of course).

Mile 1 - Up hill start for a circuit of the 0.8 mile loop of the park.  Coming around to the start line a second time, I picked up the effort to keep my pace from slowing on the (minor) hill.  As I came to the first mile marker, I was at the decision point for the race.  My legs were a little tight from the hill effort and I could easily have used that as reason to slow down, but I decided I'd push on.  Mile 1 today: 8:29, mile 1 in PR run last year:  8:26.

Mile 2 - I was in a thin part of the crowd, with a larger pack ahead and another larger pack behind me.  I was just working to maintain pace and pass a few people here and there, and feeling pleasantly relaxed and breathing easy.  Mile 2 today: 8:26, PR: 8:30.

Mile 3 - This mile crosses the high point of the race and it's downhill from there (the course is pretty much flat, but there is a difference between the gradual uphill and the last two miles back to the finish).  This is where I've faded in the past, but today I was able to maintain pace.  Today: 8:29, PR:  8:41.

Mile 4 - I was starting to focus on the people around me to see whom I could try to pass and who I should try to stay with.  There was one woman who I'd already passed twice, both times when she slowed while fiddling with her phone, but she was about 30 yards ahead of my by now.  I figured I'd try not to lose her while working on passing others.  Again, the big difference this year was picking up the pace rather than slowing.  Today:  8:19, PR 8:50.

Mile 5 - The last mile was on streets and then back into the park.  I was feeling some fatigue build up, but was nevertheless able to keep nudging up the pace.  About 0.2 miles from the end, a guy breathing quite loudly passed me by.  The phone fiddler was still up ahead and oddly seemed to be accelerating as I did.  With about 100 yards to go there were six or seven people up ahead and I kicked it into high gear.  I passed three of them and then loud breather guy actually eased off in the finish chute, so I passed him too.  I've never had such a kick at race end before.  Today:  7:51, PR:  8:24.

So, I have a new PR of 41:36 vs. the old PR of 42:33.  I wish I could run the distance again soon as I feel I could have done even better.  It seems all that training I did this summer and fall paid off, just not necessarily for the target race.  :-)

Here's me passing my family early in the race before the headband and gloves came off.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
    10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

Docket_Rocket

Nice job!!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

Congratulations! Getting a PR on such a cold day is terrific!

Nice job! Is this Westfield, NJ? I've done the Pizza run a few times, live in Harrison, on Newark border

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Nice job! Is this Westfield, NJ? I've done the Pizza run a few times, live in Harrison, on Newark border

Thanks.  Yes, NJ.  The race starts and ends in Tamaques Park.  With just under 600 runners, it's a much smaller event than the Pizza Run.  There's a 5k version of the race on New Year's Day called the Hangover Run, which gets between 500 and 900 people, depending on the weather.

Ginny, Damaris, thank you.

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

Half Crazy K 2.0

Congrats on the PR! It's nice to have a history at the race so you can compare your times from year to year.

From the Internet.

Nice!! Congrats on the PR!

I had to LOL at the "not enough to eat the warm chicken noodle soup" comment. Sounds like something my daughter would do - complain about something but when there's a solution for the problem, it's fine again.

LRB

Mile 1 today: 8:29, mile 1 in PR run last year:  8:26.

Mile 2 today: 8:26, PR: 8:30.

Mile 3 - Today: 8:29, PR:  8:41.

Mile 4 - Today:  8:19, PR 8:50.

Mile 5 - Today:  7:51, PR:  8:24.

You crushed those splits.

I have mostly sucked racing post-marathon save for my first. Marathons take a lot of out me though so it is what it is. Congrats on the PR. I wondered where you was the past couple of weeks.

onemile

Nice job on the PR! Do you feel fully recovered from the marathon? I still felt it on my legs when I raced on Thursday

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

HCK - Thanks, and yes, there is an advantage to running a race annually.

Lauren - Thank you.  Seems like some child behavior is universal.

LRB - The big difference I felt yesterday was having the stamina to keep up the pace after the first two miles.  It was kind of a neat feeling, actually.  I took some time off from running after the marathon and have been catching up on the things I sacrificed during marathon training, so haven't been able to keep up with dailies.  Thanks.

Onemile - Thanks.  Funny you should ask, but in easy/long training runs I still feel like my legs aren't fully recovered. I guess the 5M race was short enough for the fatigue not to have an impace.

workinprogress11

Congratulations to both you and your son.  Nice PR!

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Thanks, WiP