Beginners and Beyond

Little chilly out there Sundailies (Read 38 times)

Zelanie

Ran 10.  It was harder than it should have been.  Nice day though.

onemile

Hey Coach Jenny - please provide some suggested race-week workouts, in case I do decide to do a 5k next weekend. I figure I should try something speedwise.

2 mile warm up
      4 x 200m quick with 200m jog recovery (glorified strides)
      2 x 800m at 10k pace with 3 minutes recovery
      4 x 400m at 10k down to 5k pace with 2 minutes recovery
      - so lots of rest between all of these. This should just get your feet back under you and freshen you up for the race. It shouldn't be a terribly hard workout.
      2 mile cool down

Thanks! I'll probably do it Wednesday for a Sunday race.

Dave

onemile

Thanks! I'll probably do it Wednesday for a Sunday race.

Sub-20?

From the Internet.

Ran 10.  It was harder than it should have been.  Nice day though.

+1 on all counts. In my case it was totally my own fault for drinking a bottle of wine last night at a get together at family friends' house.

Sub-20?

If not, I'll blame your workout.

Anyway, that'll always be the goal. But I've certainly been feeling extra sluggish post-marathon. So we'll see how it goes. I'm looking at another one on Thanksgiving, which would give me a little more time to train.

All assuming my foot stops hurting.

Dave

onemile

If not, I'll blame your workout.

Anyway, that'll always be the goal. But I've certainly been feeling extra sluggish post-marathon. So we'll see how it goes. I'm looking at another one on Thanksgiving, which would give me a little more time to train.

All assuming my foot stops hurting.

if there was a magic workout to run sub-20 it wouldn't be one that I have done

I think my first 5k post-marathon last year was a little slower than the one I ran in the middle of training

Zelanie

The good news about today's run is it looks like my watch has given me +1 VO2Max.  That's +3 since I started marathon training.

if there was a magic workout to run sub-20 it wouldn't be one that I have done

I think my first 5k post-marathon last year was a little slower than the one I ran in the middle of training

My 20:09 was actually 3 weeks after my last marathon. (Maybe I should see what workout I did that week; probably something else from you.) Haven't come anywhere close before or since. A month later, between cycles, was 20:22 (although a bit hilly); the one 2 weeks pre-marathon was 20:32.

Dave

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

LOL, I would wear shorts for that weather.  Capris are like for the 30s for me.  Your cold-resistant might vary.

Normally I would wear shorts too, but I woke up with a chill in my bones and couldn't shake it. Hell I've worn shorts during 40 degrees, but sometimes I just can't shake a cold chill, though  normally it's my shoulders and arms that have it, my legs are usually fine.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)