Beginners and Beyond

In need of some serious motivation (Read 134 times)

happylily

Thank you Lily. You know how we get. We are our own worst enemy sometimes.

I'm being very honest here: I could not do what you are doing at the moment. I have nothing but great admiration for you. Hugs to you, sweetie.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

If you don't already use one, get a day planner and use it.  It's amazing how much more you get done when you budget your time and stick to it.  If you find out that after you plug everything into you schedule, there isn't any white space, then you're expecting too much of yourself.

Until you've answered that question, I'm not kickin' anybody in the rear.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Meanwhile, I'm supposed to be studying for an exam this coming Tuesday. I have my book opened to the cardiac system and I'm on here talking to you guys. Smile We can discuss resting heart rates and how to reduce risks of cardiac events by running. LOL.

My resting HR yesterday am in the dr's office was 46. Pretty good for a dude who is technically obese.

As far as the running, it's ok to do races for fun. When school is done you can see where running and racing is on the priority list. If its higher then race more and focus on getting faster.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Nevrgivup

My resting HR yesterday am in the dr's office was 46. Pretty good for a dude who is technically obese.

As far as the running, it's ok to do races for fun. When school is done you can see where running and racing is on the priority list. If its higher then race more and focus on getting faster.

That's great Trod. I bet your cholesterol is improving too. Smile

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

runmomto3boys

Gosh, I can only echo what Beth said.  I couldn't put it any better myself.  You have a ton on your plate right now and you are balancing as best you can and doing well, at that.  School is the priority right now.  Don't make running an added stress in your life: it's suppose to be your release, your out, a way to clear your head - not the reverse!  I think this looming exam on top of all the work you had to do this past week is just making everything that much more challenging/overwhelming at the moment.  Things can and will settle down a bit next week and hopefully you will feel a little less frazzled.  In the meantime, I am here - you know that - so PM me anytime if you want to vent/scream/cry or laugh.  Smooch!

Nevrgivup

Gosh, I can only echo what Beth said.  I couldn't put it any better myself.  You have a ton on your plate right now and you are balancing as best you can and doing well, at that.  School is the priority right now.  Don't make running an added stress in your life: it's suppose to be your release, your out, a way to clear your head - not the reverse!  I think this looming exam on top of all the work you had to do this past week is just making everything that much more challenging/overwhelming at the moment.  Things can and will settle down a bit next week and hopefully you will feel a little less frazzled.  In the meantime, I am here - you know that - so PM me anytime if you want to vent/scream/cry or laugh.  Smooch!

Approve I feel so much better now that I vented out a bit. Thanks to all of you!

runmomto3boys

Approve I feel so much better now that I vented out a bit. Thanks to all of you!

I'm the same way!  I just need to vent sometimes and I immediately feel better too!  Hugs, hon!

Luke79

Beth nailed it.  Don't concern yourself with keeping up with the Jones'.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I agree with everyone who's said you shouldn't beat yourself up over it, but it's obvious that you care about getting your runs in and it bothers you that you aren't. My advice is that I agree with Awood--plan your days and pencil it in. Make it a commitment in writing. If it has to be a calendar that looks like something a 5th grader would use, so be it ("3:00PM: study for test. "4:30PM: dinner") etc. That makes you accountable. The time is there if you will sit down and find it. My running partner is a full time teacher, high school track coach, and mom to a newborn. She runs on her own or with me at night. She's getting it done. You can too if you make it a priority, commit to it, and don't give yourself the option of missing your "running appointment." It sucks sometimes. I coach XC in the fall and because we have kids all over the place I can't run with them. I go to my regular job, go to XC, eat a quick dinner, and then get my run in sometime after 7PM those days, in the dark. Make it happen! Every run you skip, someone else is running and getting better.

Not meaning to be harsh at all but you said you wanted a kick in the pants. Smile No matter what you do or if you fall off track, it's all gonna be all right. Smile

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Nevrgivup

Thanks MJ. Smile A lot of great advice.

Great advice so far.

With so much on your plate, just run when you want to and have the time.  You don't want to start resenting running because you "have" to.  I was in that place recently, with no time to run until 9 or 10 at night and the alarm set for 5:30 AM.  The days I ended up skipping were probably better for my mental health than they were a detriment to my overall fitness.

Things will get better, they always do.  

Revenge of the Nerd

You would have given your left nut to run only three days a week!

Anatomically unlikely. Wink

One of these days is none of these days.

~ H.G. Bohn

Better I Leave

The first thing I would ask before I offered up any advice are 1...What are your goals, and 2...What are your priorities

I have a pretty busy life as well, and I do so love running. I don't run as much and/or often as I would like...but I find acceptance in doing what I do.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

This probably isn't what you wanted to hear, but I found that running while in grad school was an integral and necessary part of my schedule. I ran in the afternoon after classes every day as a break before dinner and studying. I needed that change of pace and the exercise could revive and revitalize me.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

RSX

When I was in Suffolk grad school I had a job that often kept me doing 60 hour weeks. I was never so out of shape in my life after being so thin, and ran when I could. I just counted down the # of classes and always looked at the light at the end of the tunnel.

1 nice about school runningwise is that I met a guy who also had gone to my HS that ran Boston who we rooted for. Pre-grad school I thought 26.2 was impossible even though I ran well and he convinced us that it wasn't as hard as we made it. I ran 4 of my marathons, plus 11 Falmouths, with a guy I graduated with who heard the same speeches.

My only advice is to stop putting more pressure on yourself and run when you can. Grad school doesn't usually last forever.