Beginners and Beyond

Don't Tread On My Tri 5K, 10K and other events (Read 10 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.    

Link to photos only: http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2017%20Race%20Reports/2017%20Race%20No%2050%20Dont%20Tread%20On%20My%20Tri%205K

A couple of the photos may not have come out so well; sorry about that.   Plus, at times post-race I forgot to wipe my sweaty lens - duhhhh - so there might be a smudge or two on some of them.     All in all, I think they came out fairly well.  I am certainly no professional photographer with skills; but at least all the photos are free to save.  J

BEFORE MY START

My 50th race of 2017 was on July 23.  Put on by Scallywompus, Don’t Tread on my Tri included a series of events to choose from:  Swim 500 meters, Bike 12 miles, Run 3 miles; choice of Swim/Bike, Swim/Run, or Run/Bike/Run; a 5K run; or a 10K run.   I chose to do the 5K, as did my wife Gail.  Event was held in San Marcos at Meadows Center for Water and the Environment – what previously used to be Aquarena Springs, but is not part of Texas State University.   The 5K was the last event to start, at 8:30 a.m. so after we arrived at the event location, I had plenty of time to wander around and get some photos.

Me and Gail

Glad the swimmers didn't have to swim in this...

My wife Gail waiting for the 5K start time

Military volunteers helping out the race folks

Our Music Man

Local famed runner Roger Soler (Olympic Trials runner back in the day; he is still pretty darn speedy) giving out race instructions

One of the participants heading out to the course...

iaap folks doing their timing thing, etc

Various participants, including me

Down at the swimmer's area

Back to the run/bike start area

photo 032_zpsobasikw6.jpg

ON THE COURSE

By the time we 5K folks got started at 8:30 a.m., it was pretty warm, with the temp already in the mid-70s.  Nice little breeze blowing off-and-on though, and I’d hydrated pretty well and actuall felt pretty good on the course.  There was also quite a bit of shade at certain points along this course, especially on the trail parts. Course for the 5K was the same for everyone, regardless of event, with the 10K entrants doing two loops of the running course. This course had a bit of everything.  We started on pavement, then went onto grass, then on cement sidewalk, then back to pavement through a neighborhood with some pretty darn good-sized hills, then onto off-road trails and finally back onto pavement to finish up.  I am pretty directionally challenged and, as the 5K was the smallest event held, several times I was running alone; but this course was probably one of the best-marked courses I have ever run on, signage along the way at several places, plus directional arrows – even a directionally challenged idiot like me was able to easily find my way, so kudos to the course planners.  Fairly tough course with the changing terrain, hills, etc.  As I did the course, I felt I was not going to do my usual 5K time – around 32 – 34 minutes – and I was correct on that; I ended up with a finish time of 35:44.  Because the 5K group was so small, the age group was listed as 0-99, so I knew I would not place either, which I did not. All good though, I felt I ran really well, all things considered, and met my two goals:  finished standing up for my 50th race, and no ambulance waiting for me at the finish.

And we 5K people are off.  Along the course we did intermingle with other participants who were doing the run portion of their chosen events.

Nice view of the river along our route

Ahh, the hills

After that curve, there was yet another hill waiting for us and then we got flat again for a bit

After those hills, I bet some people did feel like that sign.... STOP

AFTER MY FINISH

Got some water and some Gatorade, did a cool down walk, then found some shade and just sat for a bit rehydrating/relaxing.  Ahhh, much better.  Then back up and wandering around taking some after photos.  And lots of people still coming into the finish from the other events too, I think most of them were the complete-tri people finishing up their run portion, and some 10K people finishing up their second loop.

Done!  Ran into the finish with this young lady.

Happy finishers, supporters, volunteers, etc

Serving out those cold adult beverages.  Gail enjoyed a cold lemonade with vodka.   Good thing I was driving, lol.

Enjoy those drinks, honey. 

EPILOGUE

It was a challenging course, but I actually liked it.  Well and thoughtfully laid-out with all the different terrains, and a loop course too, which I much prefer to out-and-back courses.  After I finished and was chatting with the other participants, the one thing I heard that everyone would have changed is to have water stops along the course, at every mile because even though the run loop is just 3 miles, this is run in late July so those extra water stops would be appreciated, especially for the tri and du people who were not carrying water. So maybe that will be changed for next year’s event. Aside from that, really nicely done by the organizers.  Lots of post-race goodies, including adult cold beverages, really unique location, good course, nice tech tee race shirts and a whole lot of fun-and-great participants.  Definitely would do this one again.

MUCHO thanks to all the people who did all the hard work to make this one happen for we participants and were out there for us: iaap did the timing, course setup and results, Scallywompus throws a heck of an event and after-party, law enforcement was out there for us, music man playing music for us, and all those volunteers who were out there the day before the race and on race day, doing setup, registration, and so forth; and all those sponsors/vendors for their support.  Without all of you doing what you do, there would be no events for us participants, so thank you very much for what you do!  A personal thank to you Race Director Nick Seidell and “Mr. Scallywompus” Bart Childers for making my 50th of the year a very memorable event.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Half Crazy K 2.0

Congrats on 50 races for the year! Looks like a nice variety of events.