Beginners and Beyond

Race Report and Photos: National Veteran's Day 5K San Antonio (Read 23 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

THE DETAILS

• My 63rd race of 2014
    • National Veteran's Day Run held in various cities across the US.  http://www.veteransdayrun.com/get-involved
    • There was also a 1 mile run/walk
    • Timed race, but a fun-run so no awards.  Everyone did get a unique Veteran's Day finisher medal though.
    • San Antonio had a pretty nice turnout, a couple of hundred participants.
    • Held in McAllister Park - right near my house and my favorite park to run in.  I ended up with a finish time of 32:44.

BEFORE THE RACE

Start time of 3 PM.  I arrived early....and there was already a bit of a line

Which got longer.....so I'm glad I arrived early.  I did not think they'd make the 3 pm start time as packet pickup started at 2 PM.  We ended up starting around 3:15 PM, which is not too bad.  Maybe next year a packet pickup the evening before? Would make things a lot easier on race day.   Anyway, it all worked out.

While waiting for everyone in line to get their stuff, I wandered around taking some photos.

Some of the folks from Team RWB (Red White Blue) San Antonio, of which I am a member,  was out in force.  I have a shirt, too, but ordered an XL and did not realize they run big - REALLY big, the thing goes down to my knees, lol, - so I have to get mine altered.  Meanwhile, I got these folks.   If you are a veteran, check out RWB at their national website, there might be a chapter in your area:  <cite>teamrwb.org/</cite>

Slurpee Truck start line.  7-11 was a major sponsor.  The wind was blowing pretty good and the start line blew down, so the truck was moved up there to help block the wind.

Free Slurpies for all participants, given out by these lovely ladies.  It was a bit chilly for me to have a slurpee. My friend Bob suggested maybe they should have put a shot of vodka in each slurpee, that would warm folks right up.  lol.

Registration volunteers

Our police officers out there for us...thanks, officers!

And some of the participants and their supporters....

While waiting for the start, I had a nice chat with the guy in the black army cap, retired Army, swapping war stories. One of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet.   Be nice to see him at other events in the future.

A few of my running club pals from San Antonio Roadrunners, the oldest and largest running club in San Antonio.  "Vodka-Shot-in-the-Slurpee" Bob is the tall guy on the right.   He is VERY speedy...so naturally, he's in my age group.  So much for any award for me when he shows up at the same races I do. 

Another super nice guy, we had a nice chat too, pre-start.

Father-daughter.  I saw them at the start...and never again until the finish.  I think they were way ahead of my slow self.

Getting ready to start.  These folks each carried a flag for the whole distance.

ON THE COURSE

McAllister Park is a park full of off-road and paved trails, restrooms and water fountains located all around the park, and there is a park extension that connects it to Lady Bird Johnson Park a few miles away.  So you can go a long ways in the park.  Lots of marathoners and half marathoners train in this park because of the convenience and the multitude of routes to choose from   For this 5K we ran in the paved trails and then came back to the finish on one of the park roads.

At my pace, this is what I saw on the course most....people's backs! 

I did manage to finish ahead of some of the flag carriers so got photos of some of them bringing Old Glory into the finish line area...

Floater for the Little Lady flag carrier!

Got the Air Force couple finishing....go Air Force. 

AFTER THE RACE

For those of you familiar with me and Bernadette, yes she was there.  I got TWO photos with her so you would be doubly sure.

Me and Bob...the long and short of it..... 

And other "Happy Finishers" et al.....

For post-race goodies, they had the slurpees, and some various fruits....and these, of which I had my share....I love cookies!

EPILOG

Very nice event.  Love the veterans events, all the people at these are always so friendly and on this day especially, set aside for veterans, lots of camradery.   Nice race venue.  The morning started off in the 60s and dropped to the upper 40s, low 50s by race time, with that flippin' wind blowing at 15 - 20 mph, making it feel chillier, but In spite of the somewhat chilly weather for we South Texans - yes, the majority of us are cold-weather wimps, and especially me! - everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.  Definitely a keeper on the race calendar each year!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

63rd race!  Goodness gracious Scotty!

great pics and a good cause!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Big smile in the pictures with Bernadette   

Congrats on #63  !!!!

music_girl117

Looks like a fun race!  I love that you got a pic of the little girl with the flag "floating".  I see there are two different types of race bibs that people are wearing; are the flag ones for veterans (or folks that are actively serving)?

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Looks like a fun race!  I love that you got a pic of the little girl with the flag "floating".  I see there are two different types of race bibs that people are wearing; are the flag ones for veterans (or folks that are actively serving)?

Flag ones were given to active duty and the veterans.   Others were for those participating who were not active duty or veterans.  Although, personally, I think the spouses should have got a  flag bib too....they also serve in their own way.   Shoot, I dragged my wife all around the world during my career and she went with me with no complaints, always had to find new jobs any time we went somewhere, and so forth.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

delicate flower

Nice report, Scotty!  I did a veterans race Sunday as well and it was on trails.  There were a few guys carrying flags there too.  That can't be easy, especially in a trail race, with trees and branches and all getting in the way.

<3

GinnyinPA

Looks like a good race.  I love that park of yours.  I agree, trying to run while carrying a full-sized flag has got to be difficult.  Nice floater.

music_girl117

Flag ones were given to active duty and the veterans.   Others were for those participating who were not active duty or veterans.  Although, personally, I think the spouses should have got a  flag bib too....they also serve in their own way.   Shoot, I dragged my wife all around the world during my career and she went with me with no complaints, always had to find new jobs any time we went somewhere, and so forth.

What a nice touch. Smile  And I think you should suggest the flag bibs for the spouses for next year!  That's a great idea.

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

Docket_Rocket

Nice report.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

63rd race this year, wow Scotty great job! And great pics of course Smile

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

LRB

Why is everyone dressed as if it's winter.  lol

tracilynn

Great job. 32:44 not too shabby 

~~~~~~~

Traci

on my way to badass

Great job. 32:44 not too shabby 

If I was taking pictures I would be nowhere near this time. That is a time I aspire to. Thanks for the nice RR Scotty!

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

B-Plus

Why is everyone dressed as if it's winter.  lol

50 degrees is considered winter for them 

Congrats Dawg!