Beginners and Beyond

Report With Photos: C.O.P. S. On The Run 5K/12K (Read 51 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO: I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

My 47th race of 2013.  There was a 5K and a 12K.   The 5K was more of a ''fun run' with the top 5 male/female finishers getting awards.  The 12K, the primary event, had age group awards.  Around 200 - 300 or so for this event.  Race was put on by Purnell Racing - <cite>www.purnellracing.com</cite> - owned by John Purnell, retired military like me, who does a lot of local events and also coaches runners. These folks are standing in front of the banner which shows what C.O.P.S. stands for, and they are also wearing the tech tee race shirts all the participants got.

Concerns of Police Survivors (C.O.P. S.) assists surviving family members of police officers who lost their lives in the line of duty. Several police officers participated in this event.  I ended up with a finish time of 34:41 for the 5K.

LONG VERSION REPORT WITH PHOTOS

Before The Race

7:30 a.m. start time.  I got there about 7 a.m.  Temp was about 75 degrees, but the dewpoint cooperated by being under 70, so it actually felt not so bad out there, a bit 'cooler' than previous summer weekends.  Still darn hot and stick, but compared to some weekends we've had, not too bad.  Got some pre-start photos of participants, volunteers, supporters, etc.

C'est moi!  Your host for this report.

Our MC/Announcer

The 3 young girls all beat slow, old me into the finish, lol.

Memorial wreaths at the start/finish area for lost officers

On The Course

Event was held near a local Drury Inn, at Valero Park which is named for a local Fortune 500 company, that is very involved in local community affairs.  These trails go a long way - you could easily get a 20-mile run in on these trails - interconnecting with other trails.  By the time the San Antonio trail system is totally completed, my city will have one of the best trail systems in the country for walkers, runners, and cyclists.  The 5K and 12K route was on on paved trails, some asphalt, some cement.  Out-and-back course for both the 5K and 12K.  As the trails were still 'open' for the race, we participants did encounter other runners, walkers, and cyclists not involved with the race who were out there doing their own thing.   For my part, I didn't see any problems anywhere, everyone was very polite, moving over for each other and the cyclists were really good about calling out their approaches to us.

Lead runner for the 5K already heading back, I wasn't even to the half-way point yet.  In this photo, he is Mr. A. Nony Muss, since I cut his head off trying to get the photo...ooops!

First lady lead runner for the 5K heading to the finish

Our one 'hill' on the route, which we climbed on the way back to the finish

After The Race - Happy Finishers, Supporters, Volunteers, etc.

I ran a bit of the course with this young lady

These ladies know chasing "Great Legs" keeps my old man-self moving forward, lol. For the lady on the right, this was her first race...she did good!

These runners 'rock'!  Joking

Yes..the dog beat me to the finish too!

Me and friend, Elaine.  She did the 12K and got an award in her age group.  She is very speedy, finished in 1:06...8-something minute miles, I think...

John Purnell on the left, owner of Purnell Racing.

Epilog

Very nice event on a very nice morning for a run or walk.   Good cause, lots of very friendly participants, nice course. There were also some post-race door prizes, none of which I won, darn the luck.   As someone who has served 'in uniform" I had my share of 'events', as I served in 4 wars during my military career;  my personal experiences were certainly not an every day  basis like these police officers who just never know each time they walk up to a car or answer a call, etc., what kind of 'nut' they might encounter; but I can empathize a bit with what they go through. So I  try to do this race whenever I can to show support and respect for our police officers currently serving for us, to honor those who made the ultimate sacrifice in service to us, and to help their surviving loved ones.  I will continue to do this event in the future and would definitely recommend it to my fellow runners.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Cause and run, Scott.

SheCan

Congratulations on race 47!   Great cause for a race.  Another great report and great pictures too.  Thanks for sharing, Scotty!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

San Antonio!  Who'd a thunk?

Cool

Randy

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I have decided you keep enticing me with RR after RR on great SA races to make me move there.

Next time, only include the shirtless dude pic.  I'll move in next week!

Thanks for sharing, Scotty.  Great report.

Damaris

Ric-G

great cause there scotty...47? that's crazy...congrats dude!

marathon pr - 3:16

GinnyinPA

Great cause, and nice course.  Lots of hills this time.  It looks like a good event.

Nice report and pics, Scotty.

Bracelets advertising a burger joint? *confused*

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice report and pics, Scotty.

Bracelets advertising a burger joint? *confused*

Yeah, I thought that was odd, lol.   The burger place was one of the race sponsors.   I did take a wrist-band and gave it to a young (25 years old) friend of mine who loves that burger place.   They do make good burgers...but at my age and with my poundage, it's probably better that I don't be reminded of a good burger joint, lol.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Great cause, and great RR.  I have a black tech shirt, and I'm not sure what to do with it though...lol  I don't like wearing it in the heat, but it doesn't keep me warm in the cold.  It's a limited window of opportunity for wearing those.  Cool design though.  I hope you got your post race beer later.  I didn't see a post race beer photo.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

delicate flower

Just wondering, Scotty:  What do you say to everyone when you take their pictures?  Do you tell them you're taking pics for a website or blog or something? 

<3

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Great cause, and great RR.  I have a black tech shirt, and I'm not sure what to do with it though...lol  I don't like wearing it in the heat, but it doesn't keep me warm in the cold.  It's a limited window of opportunity for wearing those.  Cool design though.  I hope you got your post race beer later.  I didn't see a post race beer photo.

Yeah, with this being a race for police officers, etc...John thought it might not be a good idea to have beer post-race and then the officers there watching all the beer drinkers getting into their cars to drive home.... Wink    Just kidding...the real reason is that the park we were in actually prohibits consumption of alcohol in this specific park.

LRB

I actually have two black tech shirts from events, and they are two of my faves.  Ironically, I wear them more in casual settings than I do when running.

Runners rcok?  lmao

C'est moi indeed, good stuff!