Beginners and Beyond

Penguins be Tied Friday (Read 11 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

National Bow Tie Day!

PADRunner

Looks like a RD for me today.

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

PAD, enjoy the RD.

I'm going to run 5 or so this morning, then head to a core class at the studio.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning !!!

Enjoy RD, PAD.

Have a good run and core class, Bri.

We are going into the city to try the brand new "606 Trail".  The 606 is about 3 miles long and is on an old elevated RR. A lot of money was spent on improvements and its supposed to be very nice, but crowded.  Hope they included POP's.  It's also convenient to lots of bars.

Have a great weekend !!!

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I have never worn a bowtie, though I have worn a regular tie before.  Chorus was good last night, but I am DRAGGING today!!  Which is not good, because tomorrow I have chorus coaching.  That means standing and singing from 9:00 to 4:00, with an hour break for lunch, all to polish three songs.  It's in preparation for competition next March, so we'll probably be really tired of these three songs by then, but that's normal.  They always get a break when Christmas gigs roll around.

PAD -- have a good RD!!

Brilliant -- have a good 5 or so and class!!

Jerryb -- Sounds like an interesting trail, hope it's fun!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Brilliant

Jerry, the pics look great on FB!

HopesMom, tomorrow sounds like a LONG day!  Good luck.

6.1 done, headed to class.

lewjeffrey

Hiya Fellow Penguins!  Just got in three lunch time miles.  I have several big initiatives winding down, so I am hoping that makes it easier to run on my lunch break.

PAD: Enjoy the rest day!

Brilliant: hope the five and core class went well!

HsM: That is a long time on your feet, must count towards some type of miles!

Jerry: Have fun on the "606" trail!

Singer who runs a smidge

HsM: That is a long time on your feet, must count towards some type of miles!

This is what I'm saying!  My doc always looks at me funny when I list "singing twice a week" as part of my exercise routine.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

Hi pens,

Got my 5 in on the TM, and we're heading out in a bit.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Got our 606 Trail run in.  It is located in the Wicker Park neighborhood and is only 5.5 miles out and back.  The entire length is on an elevated right of way.  It is mostly finished with a few sections still being landscaped.  It is very urban as you run past lots of roof top gardens and balconies.  You can almost touch the balconies, but the entire path is well fenced.  The trail is about 10 feet wide concrete and there is a 2 foot wide rubber shoulder in both directions for runners, except the walkers use it too.  Maybe another 5-10 feet of landscaping on either side of the trail.  So far, the city is keeping it squeaky clean.  Funny how the east side is way more congested than the west side, but then the east side is upscale residential and the west is industrial, so its an interesting run.  The other users are generally novices at trail etiquette, so we did have few close calls.  Lots of access points, but no POP's.  Closest we could find was an ALDI's grocery store at one of the access points.  After, we found a nice little place for burgers and beer that fortunately had an outdoor patio (we were soaked).  

Overall it was worth the drive and a nice change from our suburban forest preserve.  You all should try it if you ever make it to the Windy City,  Although the city is a hassle for driving, it helped that we went on a weekday morning and avoided the worst traffic.