Beginners and Beyond

Run for Boston bracelets have been shipped. (Read 269 times)

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

I never do any of those things either.  If I know someone affected and can help them by doing something or just be a listening ear, then that helps.  But I don't get how a t-shirt or bumper sticker or bracelet or dedicating a run or sending my thoughts or any such symbolism helps.

I agree, that you don't get it. It's easy to be a cynic, and sure, some things have no effect and are only helpful in helping someone deal with their own feelings about a tragedy. I wouldn't bother changing my avatar or wearing a T-shirt because noone sees or cares what I do personally. But that's me. If it helps someone else deal with their emotions, more power to em.

BUT, if you don't think highly visible, symbolic signs of solidarity like moments of silence at sporting events, the "silent run" through the streets of Atlanta that hundreds of runners did this morning, or thousands of people wearing support bracelets has any effect at all, I think you're off base. Maybe the effect is small, but so is the effort involved in doing these kinds of things.

Dad on the run.

Post deleted.

I don't get it.  What does a bracelet do?  Not criticizing, I honestly don't get what this does for anybody?

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Dr. Cornsitter

Getting on GC100 for asking for clarification isn't what we all need to do. Everyone handles tragedy differently. I think he gets the picture. I'm sure he's been supported in some small way by others in a time of need.

Solidarity may not something you can hold in your hand, but it's something you can feel in your heart. We're doing what we can to make sure all the people impacted by this tragedy feel the solidarity.

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

delicate flower

Getting on GC100 for asking for clarification isn't what we all need to do.

Agreed....he's just asking.  There is nothing disrespecful in his words or tone.

<3

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Thank you for doing this! Sending you an email now!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Dad on the run.

I spoke with boston police department. They directed me to a number where I got had to leave a voice mail. After leaving the voice mail I was contacted by red cross. I told them what I was trying to do and she gave me a number to contact the Boston disaster donation "hotline?" I keep hitting star to speak with a person but keep getting disconnected. Sure they have a high volume of calls right now. I will keep trying.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Docket_Rocket

Keep us posted.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Dad on the run.

OK, I got in contact with a organization called BostonCares. If its OK with everyone I am going to send the donation to The Richard Family Fund. It will be directly supporting the family who lost their 8 year old in the explosion. I know that our money will not stop the grieving of this family over the loss of their child but hopefully it can at least uplift them in knowing that they are so many people out there that care about their loss and are trying to do what they can to help.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Ball of Fury

OK, I got in contact with a organization called BostonCares. If its OK with everyone I am going to send the donation to The Richard Family Fund. It will be directly supporting the family who lost their 8 year old in the explosion. I know that our money will not stop the grieving of this family over the loss of their child but hopefully it can at least uplift them in knowing that they are so many people out there that care about their loss and are trying to do what they can to help.

I think that is wonderful!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Hip Redux

You are awesome.

Dr. Cornsitter

Thank you!!

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

I'm at work at the moment. When I get home I will make a spreadsheet and names/addresses and order quantity. If the rate at which I am getting emails continue I am going to have my work cut out for me. I will look into setting up a payment system through paypal. I have always just used paypal to pay not get paid. As soon as I get that set up tonight I will post that information here and update the title so everyone will know to look here.

You might want to look into something like fundrazr. It's free to set up and the donated money will go straight to your paypal.

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

William Richard was one of my fraternity brothers. I didn't know him personally but this will be greatly appreciated. I may pass this through the organization if you don't mind.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

hog4life

Jimmy, this is very nice of you. I sent you a message on FB. Thank you for doing this.

I just sent an email.  I think I would like at least 10 bracelets.  Smile