Beginners and Beyond

2018 Race 57: SMAsh Dash 5K (Read 3 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.     

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2018%20Race%20Reports/2018%20Race%20Number%2057%20SMAsh%20Dash%205K?sort=2

BEFORE MY START

My 57th race of 2018 was the SMAsh Dash 5K held on August 11 at Fair Oaks Ranch Country Club in Fair Oaks Ranch TX.  This race supported finding a cure for SMA - Spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) is a genetic disease affecting the part of the nervous system that controls voluntary muscle movement.  You can read about this here: https://www.mda.org/disease/spinal-muscular-atrophy  It is an awful disease.   The family that started this race began it a few years back in honor of their daughter who has this disease.  She is one very motivating little lady.   I live about 30 minutes from Fair Oaks Ranch, but left early due to a bunch of ongoing road construction on the highway that goes up to Fair Oaks…the Texas ‘summer flower’, the orange traffic cone, has been in full bloom on this highway for quite a while.  7:30 a.m. start time, I arrived at 6:30 a.m., with plenty of time to wander around and get some pre-start photos.

Our timing and results folks.

photo IMG_4740_zpsbkvxlcsy.jpg

The lady on the left was our Race Director

photo IMG_4746_zps0svl8dzd.jpg

With the Race Director

photo IMG_4752_zpsbzrwaizq.jpg

The young lady on the left (pink shirt) is the daughter of our Race Director and the reason this event was started...she has SMA and gave a nice little speech at the awards ceremony about SMA.     I only see her when I do his event, but she is always smiling, helping her folks put on the event, and has a kind word for everyone.  She is one  class act little lady.

photo IMG_4748_zpsrvredq98.jpg

Various participants, volunteers, etc.

photo IMG_4742_zps8s20gppr.jpg

photo IMG_4743_zpsdmlctw0i.jpg

Two Angels were there shining their light...  (Ok, I forgot I had my flash on, lol)

photo IMG_4744_zpsc2iqho9g.jpg

photo IMG_4745_zpsofhr5yjr.jpg

Guy in the center is wearing the race shirt

photo IMG_4747_zpslmzvlrq0.jpg

photo IMG_4749_zpsqajppddo.jpg

Another little SMA lady, if I remember correctly, with her quite large team of supporters.  This is what it is really all about...helping find a cure for these kids.

photo IMG_4751_zpssqomw2a0.jpg

photo IMG_4757_zpsyzupei7v.jpg

photo IMG_4758_zps8tubvhng.jpg

photo IMG_4759_zpsduaaeqx8.jpg

Almost time to start...the official photographer - not me, lol - took a big group photo of all the participants and I manged to get a few of them in with my smaller camera

photo IMG_4753_zpsmzkxp8m1.jpg

photo IMG_4755_zpsajqynyja.jpg

About a minute now to go to the start

photo IMG_4760_zpstbxiodyu.jpg

photo IMG_4761_zpsqe0tputv.jpg

ON THE COURSE

National Anthem was sung beautifully by a retired Air Force vet and then we were off.  Fair Oaks Ranch is one of the nicest neighborhoods in the San Antonio surrounding area, with wide streets that include pedestrian and bike lanes, beautiful homes, lots of shade trees, and so forth.  It is also a pretty hilly area, so we had a lot of ups-and-downs.  The hills were not really steep, just long more than anything else , stretching out a ways on the way up.   The out-and-back course was nicely thought out, with participants getting a short break from the hillier parts as we went onto a flat road to go to the turn-round, and then came back up that road before getting onto the ‘main drag” – and the hills again – as we did the last mile and a tad more to the finish.  Nicely surfaced and smoothly paved asphalt though – I did not see one single pothole, break in any of the roads, etc.  These Fair Oaks people really take care of their roads – at least on the course we were on they did - and we participants sure appreciated it, lol.  I felt pretty good the whole way, managed to do run nonstop back to the finish for the last 1.3 miles and ended up being done in 33:44, 4th in my age group – which was the largest age group, 60 – 99.  The guy who finished ahead of me for 3rd was a very speedy 74-year old guy…more power to him!

photo IMG_4762_zpsyb0mlhpz.jpg

photo IMG_4763_zpscnv0r4wy.jpg

photo IMG_4764_zpsqbtjevyh.jpg

photo IMG_4765_zpsfrn6rxpd.jpg

photo IMG_4766_zpsjuc4mqu6.jpg

photo IMG_4767_zpspphvcnrg.jpg

This was the street we ran down to a run-round point before heading back to the finish.  This street was our 'flat hill-break" street, lol.

photo IMG_4768_zpslnpop1bf.jpg

photo IMG_4769_zpsg2s1wfsu.jpg

photo IMG_4770_zpswcbilhzg.jpg

photo IMG_4771_zpsszjapt2l.jpg

I had my thumb out but they did not stop to pick me up, lol.

photo IMG_4772_zpspnbbqvvh.jpg

photo IMG_4773_zpsvhy7skcc.jpg

photo IMG_4774_zps3n00hubw.jpg

After that last photo, nonstop to the finish

AFTER MY FINISH

After I finished, I got a few photos of some of the people coming n after me who I’d been on the course with, and a couple of the volunteers.  After that, ate some of the offered fruit and got myself rehydrated – and did enjoy also a free snow-cone that a food truck was handing out to participants – and wandered around during all this taking photos.  The country club also kindly opened its doors to us after the race, so we got to sit inside and enjoy post-race breakfast tacos, coffee, orange juice, water, etc., and the awards ceremony was held there too.   Kudos to the country club – and especially to the country club employees that had to do clean up after we were gone; I bet 250 sweaty participants sitting at the tables really put an odor in that place, lol.   ðŸ˜‰

photo IMG_4775_zpsmsfwsi08.jpg

photo IMG_4776_zpsrzvekgg0.jpg

photo IMG_4778_zps2urudtku.jpg

The road we were on right before turning into the country club to finish

photo IMG_4783_zpss3zh8iep.jpg

photo IMG_4784_zps7rjtdspr.jpg

photo IMG_4785_zpspodoasrx.jpg

Happy finishers, etc..

photo IMG_4780_zpsvq0m4ms3.jpg

photo IMG_4782_zpsw9dsoooy.jpg

Standing next to that shave ice truck was quite cooling, you could feel a bit of the 'cool' coming out of the inside of it.  This guy felt so cool he even got in a short nap...  

photo IMG_4786_zpsvufydiwz.jpg

photo IMG_4787_zpspwdx2ugv.jpg

photo IMG_4788_zpsoomr1k39.jpg

photo IMG_4789_zpsuokoymo0.jpg

photo IMG_4790_zpsvvtlacpj.jpg

photo IMG_4791_zpsorygdnsi.jpg

photo IMG_4792_zps0wawwd8w.jpg

Kiddie did not want to look at the camera....inally got them both looking at the camera. I kinda felt like W.C. Fields felt, lol.

photo IMG_4793_zpscfqre4vg.jpg

photo IMG_4794_zpsoctvk1pj.jpg

photo IMG_4796_zpsasttht4y.jpg

The gentleman in the Quantico shirt was the 3rd placer in our 60 - 99 age group.

photo IMG_4798_zpslbhxk2gg.jpg

photo IMG_4799_zpsh2l66dn0.jpg

photo IMG_4800_zpsnk25ymf5.jpg

photo IMG_4801_zpsfbs11190.jpg

photo IMG_4802_zpsnhrs9me9.jpg

photo IMG_4803_zpse2b32ysy.jpg

Inside the country club for breakfast tacos and awards ceremony

photo IMG_4804_zpshcb7uhka.jpg

photo IMG_4805_zpsitku4hgw.jpg

photo IMG_4807_zpsrbbxyjmm.jpg

Just before heading home.... Bernadette with April Ancira, a local celebrity and co-owner of one of the biggest car dealerships in the country.  The Ancira family is also very generous in donations and support to local nonprofits, schools, universities, etc. April is actually an alum of the university I work for.  She is a very speedy runner too.

photo IMG_4806_zpscmsyvybd.jpg

My friends, age group medal winners

photo IMG_4808_zpshfn4jjdj.jpg

EPILOGUE

This is a smaller event, about 250 or so, if I remember correctly, but it sure has grown from when it first started – I think 3 years ago,but may be mistaken – when there were about 100 or so of us.  A nice run or walk, depending on your preference, for a very good cause, with lots and lots of friendly participants that made this feel like one big ‘feel good’ neighborhood/family outing.  A really quality event for a great cause.  Always enjoy doing this one, definitely will do it again, and certainly would recommend it to others.

Mucho thanks to all the people that made this one a go for we participants:  all the volunteers, sponsors, vendors, country club staff, Fair Oaks residents for letting us invade their space for a while, Race Day Event services for the timing, and results and anyone else I may not have mentioned here.  Without all of you, no race for we participants.  Thank you!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt