Beginners and Beyond

Capsulitis? (foot pain) (Read 68 times)

Rubybaby43

enabler

Good morning, all.  I am back from the dead...and a lot of you probably don't even know who I am. Smile

Anyway, I suddenly developed a pain at the base of my second toe.  It was pretty easy to self-diagnose, though I do have a doctor appointment this week and will discuss this at that time.

Has anyone here ever had an issue with this?  I believe it has been caused by the fact that my arch on this foot feel a couple of years ago and I just recently began running in a different shoe without an arch support.

Just looking for a little insight.  It doesn't hurt to run, but it hurts to walk barefoot, for the most part. Undecided

Thanks!

KLO

more miles = more beer

LRB

Hi Kristy.

It's funny the words and ailments we learn about as a result from running! Is your pain on the top of the foot, underneath the foot or both?

Ric-G

some of this stuff never makes sense...glad you have an appt.

if nothing more serious, it should resolve itself but i know your frustration. fingers crossed.

It doesn't hurt to run, but it hurts to walk barefoot, for the most part. Undecided

marathon pr - 3:16

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

I have a touch of similar discomfort when I walk barefoot on a hard floor.

No idea what it is, I chalk mine up to a 'crapload of running' and I aim to not walk barefoot on hard floors.

Seems to work so far.

Rubybaby43

enabler

LOL!  Thanks, guys!  It is hurting a little less, but I can see the toe is still a little swollen.  I guess I should be grateful that it doesn't affect my running!   Will no more in a few days!

I have a touch of similar discomfort when I walk barefoot on a hard floor.

No idea what it is, I chalk mine up to a 'crapload of running' and I aim to not walk barefoot on hard floors.

Seems to work so far.

KLO

more miles = more beer

Little Blue

I have had capsulitis in my left foot for several years.  It's not bad, and mostly I only notice it when I walk barefoot.  At one point, even on carpet, it made noise that DH could hear as I walked.   My foot doc says mine is not running related, but due to many years of yard work and painting.  Anything you do that puts pressure on the ball of your foot, like squatting (weeding) or standing on a ladder (painting), can cause it.  I try to pay attention and not put weight on the ball of my foot.  If I need to squat, I put a knee down, or at least make sure my foot is flat.

I was on anti-inflammatories for a while, and got some orthotics that are designed to take the pressure off that spot.  I wear them only in my work boots.  I doubt it will ever go away while I'm still working, but it's no longer annoying enough to worry about.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Hey, I know you! 

If for some reason your doctor's appointment doesn't confirm your suspicions, I had foot pain for most of this year and wound up with bursitis in my foot.

Running is dumb.

Rubybaby43

enabler

Hey, Mandy! 

Little Blue...your DH could hear it?!!  EEK!! 

Doc did take an xray - he does think it's capsulitis because the first joint of my big toe is not as long as the first joint of the second toe....and I began running in flexible shoes.  So.... been running fewer miles for the past week and will for another week or so, and am running in more rigid shoes until the swelling goes down.

No more pain, but I can still see the swelling.

He did see a very tiny dark spot on the xray that made him think there was a slight possibility of a fracture, but said if I don't have pain in a month, I'm good.  Otherwise he would want to do an MRI at that time.  And he wants me to ditch the Nike Frees.  BOO!!  That ain't happening, but I will rotate my shoes from now on.

Thanks, guys!

KLO

more miles = more beer

akshayv

I have fallen arches and it's very hard to find a comfortable shoe, but this is one of the most comfortable I've found. I love the versatility of the straps which makes it so easy to get the shoe on and off and to adjust the heel to my foot. I like my OrthoFeet shoes so much that I just bought a pair of dress shoes so I can be comfortable all the time!