Beginners and Beyond

Slow Start TuesDailies (Read 24 times)

sdWhiskers

Plumbing problems are the worse. My eye just started twitching remembering the flooded house two years ago when I moved and they didn’t install the washer correctly. Thank you for that LOL

Our most dramatic plumbing moment: years ago, we had an issue where the pipe going into the water heater burst (or something) and in a matter of 20 seconds, there were inches of water on the floor. It was like a geyser and the water heater was in a closet in the middle of our main floor, not in a basement or garage. I remember husband running around to shut off the water while he yelled at me to "call a plumber!!!". I was almost 9 months pregnant at the time and uselessly sank to the wet floor crying.

Most expensive: SoCal houses are built on a cement slab so no basements or crawl spaces. Pipe were (are?) put into the cement floor during construction (why??). One day, we notice living room floor is warm but not wet. Oh, just a burst pipe in the slab that you can't get to unless you dig up the cement slab    Option 2 (which is $$$ but less than excavation) is to seal off those pipes and reroute through walls which is what we did.

Docket_Rocket

We had in Doral once. Sadly both times (here and there) the laundry room and heaters are on the second floor. So I had two floors flooded. I wasn't here so can't imagine the cats freaking out when water was falling from the kitchen ceiling.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Most expensive: SoCal houses are built on a cement slab so no basements or crawl spaces. Pipe were (are?) put into the cement floor during construction (why??). One day, we notice living room floor is warm but not wet. Oh, just a burst pipe in the slab that you can't get to unless you dig up the cement slab    Option 2 (which is $$$ but less than excavation) is to seal off those pipes and reroute through walls which is what we did.

In PR all (regular) houses are made from cement slab and cement blocks, so you can basically use a hose to clean your house and nothing will fall down the ceiling. Our cleaning lady in Miami had the same in her country of origin and all of a sudden she threw a bucket of water in our master bathroom to clean the floors and it ended up all on our dining table downstairs. 

And same. Any water damage you have to go through the cement by basically using a sledgehammer.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

RunningOnSand

Today was a perfect example of how it takes my body a while to get going, especially early in the morning.  5 miles of easy effort running and my splits were:

10:45

10:22

10:10

10:05

9:44

The last mile was almost all downhill.

I ran 5.4.

We were almost twins.

10:34

10:44 (running mostly uphill)

10:00

10:14

Although miles 3 and 4 were downhill.

sdWhiskers

I ran 5.4.

We were almost twins.

10:34

10:44 (running mostly uphill)

10:00

10:14

Although miles 3 and 4 were downhill.

Ooh, me too!

10:54

10:44

10:19

10:12

10:12

10:34 (red light)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

ROS, SDW - that's funny.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
              10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Running is Back 10k, 5/12

Cyberic

Our house was built in 1940, and is water heated also. We have a furnace in the basement which used to be oil, but we changed it to electricity some years ago, but kept all the pipes and "heaters".

Since 1940, the basement has been made more liveable by the previous owners, and they built over some of the water pipes.

One day I see a huge "blister" in the ceiling downstairs. I look at it for a while, I suspect it is water, but I still poked it. You can guess the rest of the story.

GinnyinPA

I ran 7.2 in a new to me park and the neighborhoods around it. It was hillier than I expected so not likely to be one I'll run often, but it would be good for walking.

I agree about plumbing issues being the worst. We rented a house for a few years whose basement would flood whenever there was a really heavy rain. It took a while before we realized that it wasn't just water getting in the leaky windows and up through the foundation. There was also a matter of the sewers backing up so it wasn't leaves on the walls, but toilet paper. We had to find a plumber in a hurry.

sdWhiskers

There was also a matter of the sewers backing up so it wasn't leaves on the walls, but toilet paper. We had to find a plumber in a hurry.

Oh god

RunningOnSand

ROS, SDW - that's funny.

Triplets. 

RunningOnSand

I agree about plumbing issues being the worst. We rented a house for a few years whose basement would flood whenever there was a really heavy rain. It took a while before we realized that it wasn't just water getting in the leaky windows and up through the foundation. There was also a matter of the sewers backing up so it wasn't leaves on the walls, but toilet paper. We had to find a plumber in a hurry.

Yeah that takes the cake.