Beginners and Beyond

Boston Marathon 2013 - Fuzzy's Race Report (Read 147 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Wow.... thank you for writing this. What a wonderful account of your race and the Boston Marathon in general. Hearing memories like this helps a lot keep the spirit of this amazing event alive and helps remind everyone why it is so special, even in the face of the tragedy that unfolded this year. Thank you for taking  the time to write this. And WOW those pictures really are awesome!!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Don't call me Buttercup!

Thanks so much for sharing this.  After everything that I've read/seen last week, it's so wonderful to hear about the actual race, and the beauty (and agony) that is the Boston Marathon.  Love the pics - and oh my word, you should frame the one of you with the American flag behind you.  What an amazingly awesome picture, especially in light of how the day turned out.  So moving.

Congrats on your sub-3, that is just mind boggling to me. =)

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I read every line of your report, and definitely felt like I was right there with you the whole way.  I'm making my own sub-3 push this coming Sunday, so thank you for helping me visualize my own race through your efforts.  I'm even racing my in the LunaRacer 3s too...hopefully they're magic!  I can't believe you had to take a pit stop in the middle of a sub 3 effort.  Your mental conversations were hilarious, but very indicative of the self-talk that takes place during all of our races.  It's amazing how much of the course and scenery you were able to take in and recall after having run at that pace, although I'd imagine that those things were able to distract you from the pain a bit.  Overall, it was just such a smart race for you.  I loved how you tackled the hills and were conscious of not letting your HR spike on them.  I'm sorry that the events of the day took some of the celebration away from your effort, but I do hope that this is a race effort you'll carry with you for a long time.  Awesome job!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Nevrgivup

Thanks so much for writing this! I felt like I was running beside you. I love love love your description of Heartbreak hill and the cursing part and finding religion. LMAO. Beautiful pictures too. I'm so happy that you met your goal. Hope to see you next year! Smile

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

I finally had a chance to sit down and read your report. Great race, I too find that about 35 km is the worst... I also had the "how badly can I fade and still go sub 3" conversationSmile. I laughed at the part about telling people how you looked for a "a guy from the internet named goorun", I get the same thing.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

Congratulations on the sub 3, Dave.  I'm glad that you were able to accomplish that, especially after being shut down by the heat in 2012.

Great report, I was on the edge of my seat reading it.  Really captured the essence of trying to maintain a specific pace over 26 miles.  And also, the awesomeness of Boston!

workinprogress11

That was one of the best RR I've ever had the pleasure of reading.  Not only are you a fantastic runner, but you are a fantastic writer as well.  I'm still giggling about "Dave's Quads" response to the race.

You did a wonderful job pacing yourself through that course and always keeping your eye on your goal.  I can only dream of being that fast, but for a brief moment while reading your report, I almost felt like I was running with you.  Many congratulations!

Zelanie

I loved your description of the race and the course.  It really gave me a sense of what it was like to be there.  Congrats on your race and on staying strong holding your pace!

flarunner

Great race and fabulous report! Congratulations on going sub-3 at Boston!

MothAudio

I love all the detail in this report! How cool is it to met Goo in your corral!. I like the no plan B idea. My best marathons have been when I had a singular goal in mind - we're going out at this pace and if we blow up, we blow up and jog to the finish. That's funny you mention your thoughts about on-line friends and your running circle following you. I've had similar thoughts about how my race report is being written at this moment. It's a compelling tool to motivate you when everything else is screaming at your to slow down. Reading your report about the down hill coming out of Newton I can still feel my quads burning too!

"Sane Dave: says nothing as Sane Dave was last seen somewhere along mile 22."

That's great.

Congrats on your textbook execution on a perfectly run race. Your report is uplifting on many levels. Be proud... both of you.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

Dr. Cornsitter

Just getting around to reading everyone's Boston RRs. I kinda needed a little mental space before I could swallow the emotions--the good and the bad--in RR form.

That being said, this was and AWESOME RR! You are an extremely impressive and accomplished runner. Your splits are amazing and your report is so well-written. Congratulations on a well-run race and your sub-3! Just WOW! Can't wait to see you run it in person next year Smile

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.