Beginners and Beyond

Cold shoulder, yay or nay? (Read 81 times)

StepbyStep-SH

I did door to door newspaper subscriptions. That lasted exactly one day.

For a summer I had a job making unsolicited phone calls, but not really telemarketing, more doing research for the actual telemarketers. That was actually not too awful. And I learned every area code in the country. Although that was 30 years ago, and there were a lot fewer then.

One summer in college. Screw that whole "three no's" concept. Worst job ever - especially when their database was way out of date and I ended up asking for someone who just happened to be DEAD!

That said, I have no problem with politely saying "No" three times and then hanging up/closing the door.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Yeah 100% cold shoulder giving...

I actually have a terrible story related to this from my recent trip.  We were in Paris visiting La Basilique du Sacré Cœur de Montmartre which is notorious for pick pockets, beggars, and men who scam you by tying a friendship bracelet around your wrist while having a conversation with you and then demanding 5 euros for it...

So needless to say I was on high alert, while wearing a very girly pink dress and looking like a good victim to these scammers.  One of these friendship bracelet guys says to me "hello, miss, where are you from?" and I said "leave me alone, I'm not interested" .. he held up a friendship bracelet and said (in a thick accent) "for you" to which I respond "fuck you!"... he says "fuck you, and fuck your father"

The important part of this story is I didn't hear "for you" his accent was so thick that I heard "fuck you" and responded in kind.  It was only after this all went down that DH informed me I'd been very aggressive with that man, and I looked at him puzzled and said, "what did you expect me to say when he said 'fuck you'?" ... He let me know that the poor friendship bracelet scammer had only said "for you"...

oops?  Living in NYC for the past 8 years has certainly hardened me.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

happylily

Yeah 100% cold shoulder giving...

I actually have a terrible story related to this from my recent trip.  We were in Paris visiting La Basilique du Sacré Cœur de Montmartre which is notorious for pick pockets, beggars, and men who scam you by tying a friendship bracelet around your wrist while having a conversation with you and then demanding 5 euros for it...

So needless to say I was on high alert, while wearing a very girly pink dress and looking like a good victim to these scammers.  One of these friendship bracelet guys says to me "hello, miss, where are you from?" and I said "leave me alone, I'm not interested" .. he held up a friendship bracelet and said (in a thick accent) "for you" to which I respond "fuck you!"... he says "fuck you, and fuck your father"

The important part of this story is I didn't hear "for you" his accent was so thick that I heard "fuck you" and responded in kind.  It was only after this all went down that DH informed me I'd been very aggressive with that man, and I looked at him puzzled and said, "what did you expect me to say when he said 'fuck you'?" ... He let me know that the poor friendship bracelet scammer had only said "for you"...

oops?  Living in NYC for the past 8 years has certainly hardened me.

You must have felt terrible after...lol... But what a funny story now...  Don't feel too bad though, those people are pushy and they must be accustomed to being pushed back. Lady, you know how to defend yourself! haha!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

hog4life

My wife says I can be rude! Hmm

Half Crazy K 2.0

It seems the sales people always come to the door when I am working out at home. I tend to wear a a tank & short shorts that I would never wear in public. I open the door so they know someone is home, but then say not interested and close it.

We also get a lot of the home improvement companies that come around and claim to be working on "insert name here's" house. 99% of the time, I don't know the name, nor have I seen workers at the houses immediately surrounding mine.

I'm a horrible person, I close the door on all the poor students coming around to not ask for money to save the Chesapeake Bay. 

Buelligan

I won't even answer the door.  I hope it wasn't Publisher's Clearing House that last time.

Turtle Power

Unwelcome visitors, how do you deal?

I duck low and stay real, real quiet.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I never have visitors, welcome or unwelcome.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Cyberic

There's a 3-4 inch difference between my porch and my door step. When DW makes me answer, I stand right on the door frame, all 6'6" of me, real close to them, and say I'm not interested. When they insist, I answer that I don't care what they have to say or sell, I will never encourage solliciting. Same approach on the phone, except for the 6'6" part

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

If you don't have a warrant and you're not my parents or his parents (with an announced visit), you are not coming through my door.

Damaris

LRB

If you don't have a warrant and you're not my parents or his parents (with an announced visit), you are not coming through my door.

They're not getting in my piece even with a warrant.

#sayhellotomylittlefriend

Mmmmm...beer

I have a no soliciting sign on my door, if you choose to ignore that, then I'm not gonna be happy when I find out you're selling something.  I chewed out two ladies one time, guessing Jehovah's witnesses.  I told them that I assume they can read since they're holding bibles, then pointed to my sign and told them to read that and closed the door in their faces. 

I have never once had someone show up on my door step and thought, "Wow, this is something I really need that I had no idea existed!!".  If I need something, I'll shop around and buy it, I don't need you bothering me in my home.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!