Beginners and Beyond

10K RR - PR destroyed but could have been better (Read 78 times)

delicate flower

There are a few theories, I have no idea which is 'correct' - one, breathing getting out of whack/rhythm (I'm sure that's my problem because it only happens when I run "fast") or breathing out/in on the same leg all the time.  Other is the jiggling of various internal organs, where they attach to the diaphragm, causing it to spasm.

My guess is you were running faster than your body was used to for that length of time, causing your diaphragm to work more and then spasm.     This is solely a guess based on what little information I have in my head about cramps.

Stupid diaphragm.  BTW, Mr. Oski would have won his AG today.  Cool   And he still would have whipped my ass.

<3

Hip Redux

Stupid diaphragm.  BTW, Mr. Oski would have won his AG today.  Cool   And he still would have whipped my ass.

I already know this, it was the first thing he checked when we got home!  lol

delicate flower

Thanks for the pics, Oski!  And thanks for not charging me $29.95 for the digital image.

<3

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Dang, Phil, you crushed your old PR!    Owwwww, sorry about the cramp, though!

Congrats to the Mrs. too!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Just B.S.

You should have typed DESTROYED like that!!!

Congrats!

Congrats Babs!! Outstanding race! Pretty damn fast, even at the finish despite how much pain you were in.

I used to think bionic knee too, but my latest theory is that your name is going to come up in the Biogenesis scandal.

WTG!

Dr. Oski says diaphragm spasm!

And why am I not surprised you have some insight on this?Roll eyes

Dave

LRB

Mile 1:  6:33.  My fastest mile to date.  A little too fast out of the gate.  I dialed it back after this.  Still a lot of race left.

I'm pretty happy with this race but I wish I hadn't cramped up.  What was up with that?  I never cramp on runs. 

You need to race more often, to get that out of your system.

Your next 5k is going to be an epic.  Can I use that word, or was it banished? In any event, you have all the energy of a Buckin' Bronco, and it shows!

Good stuff man, I am happy for you.  You persevered, and now it is your time!

paulski66

miscreant

Sweet race and sweet PR. I'm glad you're bouncing back so effectively, Babs...

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

workinprogress11

Great PR!  Congratulations!  I have the cramp issues too so I know how painful they can be. Good job getting through it and if you figure out a way to prevent them, please share!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Two PRs in one race. I guess that's acceptable, but don't let it happen again. Surprised

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

delicate flower

You need to race more often, to get that out of your system.

Your next 5k is going to be an epic.  Can I use that word, or was it banished? In any event, you have all the energy of a Buckin' Bronco, and it shows!

Good stuff man, I am happy for you.  You persevered, and now it is your time!

Thanks, man.  I'm looking forward to my next 5K, but I don't have one on the radar until December.  Maybe something will pop up before then, but in the meantime I'll just keep doing what I'm doing with the speed workouts.

Scotty, Beth, Dave, paulski, workinprogress, George:  Thanks for the kind words.  Much appreciated!

<3