Beginners and Beyond

Cross-fit danger (Read 175 times)

Nevrgivup

Here's the thing with Crossfit (and with minimalist/barefoot evangelists for that matter).  If you get hurt, it's not the methodology that is the problem; you are the problem.  You didn't do the exercise correctly or you didn't listen to the instructor or, my personal favorite bit of garbage, you didn't "listen to your body."

Unfortunately, I am guilty of this as are many other athletes. We push until we can push no more. We have mileage quota's to make etc. Its very hard to do especially for someone like me. Type A personality. Throw yourself in a crowd of cross-fitters and you don't want to look like the wimpy one so you do the exercises even though you know they are not good for you.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

LRB

I know absolutely nothing about cross-fit, but know my way around a weight room and can say with 100% certainty that some of the people in that video have no business throwing kettle bells the size and manner in which they are.

Love the Half

I know absolutely nothing about cross-fit, but know my way around a weight room and can say with 100% certainty that some of the people in that video have no business throwing kettle bells the size and manner in which they are.

But they do one hell of a job of working their momentum muscles.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

RSX

To me there is a big difference between throwing weights around and having the wrong shoes on.

the only time I listen to my body is after Mexican food. I am glad nobody else has to hear that stuff Smile

Me too

Nata2011

The whole bacon thing weirds me out. I learned the hard way that one should never question nutritional value of bacon. Ever. Crossfit folk is very passionate about their bacon.

We had the whole "box" out on a field trip for the local 10-miler race. The women had absolutely frightening overly developed abs on them. No fat. Impressive.  They looked like they would be so fast. To my delight, I passed all of them in a first half mile. The fact that they could not run fast with those impressive physiques made me sadSad just kidding

With that said, if done right, probably effective, albeit silly. But I had one co-worker with torn ACL and another one that messed up his hamstring beyond recognition, courtesy of Crossfit. I think the discipline attracts overly

competitive "gym folk" that don't know their limitations and hence get injured. Probably some places are better than others.

Hip Redux

Because runners never get injured. lol

Nata2011

Good point, OskiSmile although I rarely hear stories like "I threw up after my training run" or "I tore my legs up" or "I did that snatch and threw my back off and could not move for 2 weeks".....

Hip Redux

Good point, OskiSmile

But at least  I didn't injure myself doing something that requires a $200/month subscription. 

Nata2011

But at least  I didn't injure myself doing something that requires a $200/month subscription. 

Yes, this. Just a marketing scheme thats all

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Googled "crossfit" and this is what came up link. Watch the video at the bottom. It's a shame that it happened but that snatch move seems to be a major part in that workout regimen. I was on a job where the guy there just opened his own crossfit gym - which by the way you have to pay $3000 to use the name cross fit. One of the first things he told me was about the overhead snatch. He commented on how these skinny women would come in that couldn't even lift their own bodyweight, can now snatch that and more.

Most articles pointed out injuries. Believe it or not there are even crossfit shoes - some going for up to $175.

I think the fact that it is a group workout and that everyone is of a different ability is it's major cause for injury. I am sure men compare themselves with other men, and women compare themselves with other women. Even though you are supposed to workout to your ability there is probably no other exercise regimen where you feel the underlying pressure to do more than you can.

I asked him what the demographics was of cross fitters - and he showed me pictures. Most were women in their late 20's to early 30's.

Anyway - I'll stick with running.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

LRB

Anyway - I'll stick with running.

Or traditional weight lifting, yeesh.

B-Plus

I heard you train for a marathon by just doing crossfit.

GC100k

Any runner who runs on roads surrenders their right to talk about the danger of other sports.  In the US 70,000 pedestrians* are hit by cars every year and over 4000 are killed.  I personally knew two people hit and killed by cars while running or walking and two more who died of heart attacks while running.  One of my previous bosses was very serious about running and was commonly in a cast or walking boot due to injuries.  The guys at the office ridiculed him, I mean how can you break a bone just running?

I'm sure somewhere a thread is going where people are talking about how silly and dangerous running is.

*I didn't say they are all runners, but google "jogger hit by car".  It does seem that it's mostly "joggers" who get hit by cars and not "runners".

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

I do disagree on 'surrendering the right' to talk about the dangers other sports.  I can damn well talk about whatever the F I want ...

In this case, equating someone who runs on a road as being somewhat equal to a person performing a sport that they are not prepared to do does not even make sense.

Running in itself is not inherently dangerous.

Lifting a significant weight over your head, can be.

Sharing a common area with high speed, heavy objects is inherently dangerous true, but unless you have put yourself in a position where you can not get out of the way, it is no more dangerous than driving.

Positioning a significant weight over your head, putting yourself in a position where you possibly can not get out of the way should your strength/ balance fail is not the same.

Now I personally am not opposed to weight lifting, crossfit, skydiving, hang gliding, rock climbing or any other activity you might think of, however, calling a person out for doing those activities without the proper training/ experience or safety is par for the course.