Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

Hip Redux

Welcome to the BlueOski World of Butterflies and Cupcakes!

Hip Redux

(better?)

bluerun

Super B****

Yes.  Can we toss in some rainbow-pooping unicorns?  Those are supposedly quite popular.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Hip Redux

Welcome to the BlueOski World of Butterflies and Cupcakes!  Now with Unicorns who poop colors!

lol

Pinktastic

Welcome to the BlueOski World of Butterflies and Cupcakes!  Now with Unicorns who poop colors!

How do I make an appointment with such a fine establishment?    Is there a website?

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Pinktastic

Went back to the doctor about my foot yesterday.   It's not healing as fast as she'd hoped, but there's enough progress toward healing that she thinks she will not need to put a pin in to hold the bone together.   That was the good news.   The bad news?   I have to wear the walking cast for at least 2 more weeks, and even if I can stop wearing it in 2 weeks, I cannot run for a while after that.   :-(

I've lost track.   Does anyone ever make it off this damn disabled list?  I was hoping that some of you would have graduated back to normal running lives by now.....    Hang in there everyone!!

I took a few crutch-assisted steps in my boot last night and again this morning. Huzzah! I can probably bear, at most, a quarter of the weight. So far, the limiting factor seems to be the pain at the incision site. I can't tell if that's from the boot or from the weight bearing, though. I'll be going into campus today, so we'll see how that goes. Smile

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

Hip Redux

Pink - well, crap.  Sad  I don't know if anyone really ever fully gets removed from the DL!

Nova - congrats on the progress!

As for me, ortho is now concerned that I've torn my labrum. (oh Mandy, where are you??)  He wants to continue with conservative treatment for now because I have seen some improvement (and because the MRI is supposedly incredibly painful itself), but if by November (November!!), I'm not at 100%, he's going to send me for the MRI with contrast.   Yippee joy.

bluerun

Super B****

lol

I like it!!

As for the labral tear... apparently I had one.  Or should I say "have one," since I don't think they heal on their own?  I only found out about it when my doctor mentioned it in passing a few months after it happened; it never actually hurt.  Though I suppose the agony of the broken hip that accompanied it probably overshadowed any pain I might have felt in that regard!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Pinktastic

As for me, ortho is now concerned that I've torn my labrum. (oh Mandy, where are you??)  He wants to continue with conservative treatment for now because I have seen some improvement (and because the MRI is supposedly incredibly painful itself), but if by November (November!!), I'm not at 100%, he's going to send me for the MRI with contrast.   Yippee joy.

Oh Oski!   That doesn't sound good at all!!   Sending you lots of positive, healing vibes so that by November you will have made so much progress that the painful MRI is unnecessary!!

Nova - Hooray for progress!!    Don't push it though and continue to take good care of yourself!

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

I've lost track.   Does anyone ever make it off this damn disabled list?  I was hoping that some of you would have graduated back to normal running lives by now.....    Hang in there everyone!!

Maybe - but probably not for good Sad

Bummer on your foot.  Chin up - hopefully you'll come back bionic!

Singer who runs a smidge

Well, you'll have a very specific type of clientele!!  Runners and BDSM folks!

I have a foam roller, Stick, and tennis balls.  And a family-size bag of frozen peas ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Wow, that reply made so much more sense before you changed the name ...  Blush

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Hip Redux

Thanks Pink.  Smile  I hope you get some good news soon!

As for the labral tear... apparently I had one.  Or should I say "have one," since I don't think they heal on their own?  I only found out about it when my doctor mentioned it in passing a few months after it happened; it never actually hurt.  Though I suppose the agony of the broken hip that accompanied it probably overshadowed any pain I might have felt in that regard!

Yeah, sounds like surgery is the only real "fix" but many tears don't cause symptoms.  Nothing I have read on Dr. Google is even remotely positive - tough to diagnose, tough to treat, can cause arthritis down the road, etc. etc.

The doctor said to not go crazy running, but I'm wondering if I should stop and if I'm causing more damage.  I only do 10-12 miles/week at this point... but I don't need hip arthritis.   From what I read, my abnormal gait caused by me protecting the back can result in a labral tear - poor movement, repetitive movement, wearing down of the labrum...

Interestingly enough, my grandmother had life long problems with her right hip also - and she ended up breaking that hip after she refused a hip replacement (and that's ultimately what sent her down an ugly path of health problems).   I have a lot of similar traits physically with my grandmother, so I wonder if there's a genetic portion to how we move.

As an aside, I've been planning on getting a tattoo for her on that hip for a while.  I suppose I should wait and see if I need surgery first now, eh.

Hip Redux

Wow, that reply made so much more sense before you changed the name ...  Blush

LOL!