Beginners and Beyond

D3 or Dawn to Dusk to Dawn 50K RR (Read 54 times)

Great job George, 50k in that heat is impressive.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Got an update on the D3 FB page this morning. I knew the one runner had several IV bags of fluid then returned to the track to watch the rest of the race. The other, less experienced runner, I learned this morning had been admitted after going to the ER and was kept for a couple days. She's okay now, but that's really scary.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

So, does this count as track or ultra? Wink

Great job, George.  That you could stay positive and finish in that heat says a lot about how well you prepared.

As for being crazy to go that far on a track, maybe not.  Aid station and crews and other runners are *right there* all the time.  I enjoyed that about the 6-hour I did on a smallish paved loop.  Out on the trails, when there are miles of hell to the next aid station and few or no runners around, it can become really daunting.  I learned that the hard way.

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

wow sounds like tough conditions! Congrats!

Love the monitor with splits, and thanks for the clarification about 9-10 year old girls

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Turns out the timing company had problems and the mileage totals, at least for the 12-hour and 24-hour runners, were way off. In retrospect this isn't surprising because some of the totals were outstanding under any conditions and almost unbelievable under those conditions. Seems they were unbelievable. Lap splits were posted on the results sight and mine match up pretty well with my Garmin, so the major problems must have occurred later after I finished the 50K.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

workinprogress11

Wow that heat and the repetitive turns on the track would have killed me. You did a great job. I look forward to your decision as to what to focus on after NC 24.

Brilliant

...Perhaps it's a subconscious avoidance of a recurrence or fear of a DNF, but my last two ultras I've run very conservatively to ensure finishing, even if the times were very slow, roughly an hour slower than at Clearwater. I don't regret that. ...

Or maybe it's just the wisdom that comes from age!  You were very smart to go out slow in those conditions.  I'm glad you stayed safe and finished well.

Zelanie

Congrats on your finish in those conditions!  Much better to play it smart and get the finish than risk blowing up, IMO.  I can totally see the appeal of a track ultra, myself.  No thinking- just one more lap, and then one more, etc.

Best of luck as you figure out your next set of priorities!